Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2021, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghost Story. 1981.

Don returns to his New England town after his brother David dies and uncovers secrets from the past which his father and three of his friends were involved with and a strange woman has a connection to them.

Not sure whether this is the type of movie to watch on a stormy day like today but certainly enjoyable though, four screen legends take on a ghost of Christmas well past and a son who had a encounter with the same ghost in the present. Dark, haunting , nice Gothic type hill side manor and a nice creepy background score.

rd3XTvKxtoY7Um8zNYJVi2pwXsw-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Hope everyone has stayed safe today with the weather
Old 7th December 2021, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Muppet Christmas Carol

Adaptation of A Christmas Carol with The Muppets. Michael Caine is pretty good as Scrooge but the songs weren't exactly great.

Santa Clause

Tim Allen accidentally knocks Santa Claus off his roof and takes over after putting on the Jacket. I really enjoyed it, one of my favorite Christmas Movies.

Christmas With The Kranks

Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis's Daughter leaves for Christmas so they decide to skip Christmas and go on a Cruise, much to the annoyance of the neighbors. Decent effort.

Santa Clause 2

Tim Allen returns as Santa but this time he has to find a Wife otherwise he can't be Santa anymore. This is my favorite Christmas Film, probably give it another watch soon.

It doesn't seem long ago that I watched all these Films
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcc.jpg (13.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (11.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg cwtk.jpg (13.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg sc2.jpg (10.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 8th December 2021, 12:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2. 1987.

Billy's younger brother Ricky may seem to follow in his footsteps and become a deranged killer over Christmas.

A bit of mindless fun and really bad acting but does come with that phrase we all love...Naughty Naughty...no it ain't that, Garbage Day. The kills are something new at the time but we have seen them more often, but at least the Mother Superior from the first film does manage to loose her head. One question I have to ask...who's ass do I need to kiss to get the other movies released.

d2acffe926607cd5_boxart.jpg
Old 8th December 2021, 12:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Silent Night. 2012.

A small town's inhabitants fall foul of a killer dressed as Santa Claus.

Saw this on Shudder and thought what the hell lets do it, figuring it won't be great... I was wrong, this was a decent remake. Malcolm McDowell in another remake going after a killer, this time not as a doctor but as the town's Sheriff. Jamie King Stars as the deputy who thinks she can't make it does manage to have a decent aim at killing someone. It does pay homage to the original movie and the second one with it's quotes and the catatonic grandpa and the girl on the antlers who goes a bit OTT with dying part and a good twist at the end.

Silent_Night_poster.jpg
Old 8th December 2021, 04:30 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Silent Night. 2012.

A small town's inhabitants fall foul of a killer dressed as Santa Claus.

Saw this on Shudder and thought what the hell lets do it, figuring it won't be great... I was wrong, this was a decent remake. Malcolm McDowell in another remake going after a killer, this time not as a doctor but as the town's Sheriff. Jamie King Stars as the deputy who thinks she can't make it does manage to have a decent aim at killing someone. It does pay homage to the original movie and the second one with it's quotes and the catatonic grandpa and the girl on the antlers who goes a bit OTT with dying part and a good twist at the end.

Attachment 237983
I like this remake, it's fun if you don't take it serious.
Old 8th December 2021, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Horror Story.2015.

A series of tales centred around the festive season with each one coming with a twist.

A group of students investigate a homicide at a school.

A couple go to the woods to steal a tree and think that their son's behaviour has something to do with the woods.

A family take a trip to see a relative only for them to unleash Krampus.

Santa is getting ready for his busy night only for a elf to fall ill which the others become zombies.

This is becoming a favourite to watch at this time, the stories aren't told back to back but mixed in while DJ William Shatner is keeping his audience entertained while a disturbance is happening at a mall. The Stories are well written and directed. The actors do a good job of keeping the audience entertained.

images.jpeg
Old 9th December 2021, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Christmas Evil. 1980.

A toy factory worker, scarred by a childhood memory, belittled by work colleagues goes on a killing spree.

Another Christmas movie with a evil Santa, technically it came out before Silent Night Deadly Night so you can class it as the first trend of Killer Santa's...I think. Brandon Staggart plays Harry who flips out and decides to kill, There is a few kills done and can be graphic but at the same time they can be seen as not to be taken seriously now, maybe when it first came out the audience were horrified. It does build up characterization which can make them film to seem a bit slow but it does become entertaining.

220px-ChristmasEvilDVD.jpg
Old 9th December 2021, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Santa Claus: The Movie

A more traditional type of Christmas Film which tells the story of how Santa Claus came to be, however a unscrupulous Toy Seller played by John Lithgow comes across an Elf played by Dudley Moore and tries to give out unsafe presents. It's not bad but it's kind of boring until Lithgow appears but the scenery and effects are pretty good for a early 80's Film.

Love the VHS Rental cover and it shows it's age when Clockwise is one of the trailers on the VHS.

Santa Clause 3

The weaker of the series but it's still better than other Films. This one sees Tim Allen expecting to be a Father again however a determined Jack Frost (Martin Short) is able to take over as Santa Claus and turn it into a moneymaking venture.

A Bad Mom's Christmas

The Bad Mom's are back and this time their Moms are in town. I enjoyed this one, it's a nice change of pace from the Family Christmas Films and Christine Baranski has the overbearing, disapproving Mother role down to a tee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sctm.jpg (15.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg sc3.jpg (12.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg abmc.jpg (14.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 9th December 2021, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Legend Of The Christmas Witch. 2018.

A woman who is a primary school teacher by day becomes a Christmas witch delivery toys, when she is kidnapped by a evil toy maker, 6 of her pupils go to find and rescue her.

I'm not sure if this was a made for T.V film or a cinematic released movie, made in Italy by Michele Soavi...yes boys and girls, the horror movie director we grew up with has made a family themed movie. The plot isn't too bad, the acting was good with some good comical moments and the dubbing is all over the place, and I hate to admit it...but this was really good.

barberini-christmas-witch-566x800.jpg
Old 10th December 2021, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Carol. 2004.

Another version and another musical with Kelsey Grammer as the lead role, this is different from the others as Scrooge meets the ghosts in human form before appearing to him at night. Jason Alexander makes a appearance as Mr Marley singing and dancing with other ghosts. Also not only is Scrooge looking rough and hunched over but on Christmas day he seemed to clean himself up and able to stand straight, some of the songs performed are decent, with one or two appearances by the Artful Dodger.

250px-ChristmasCarol2004.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!