Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2023, 01:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gound Control. 1998.

Air traffic controller Jack Harris watched as plane crashed on his shift. 5 years later and working in a new job, New Year's Eve his former boss coaxed him back to the control room and faces problems with a snow blizzard and a plane in trouble.

Kiefer Sutherland plays the troubled controller who is met with mixed feelings from his work colleagues, Kelly McGillis as the control room manageress, Henry Winkler is I.T. guy who spreads his humour around. Not sure if this was a theatrical release or a made for T.V. movie but certainly enjoyable for a first viewing there is very little tense moments except in the last 20 minutes or so but the acting made it worth watching.

2393657_PA_GroundControl_1.jpg
Old 1st January 2023, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghostkeeper. 1981.

Three friends snowmobiling become stranded and take shelter in a abandoned hotel. Inside a elderly housekeeper allows them to take shelter unaware of a dark secret within the building.

Given the financial problem during the making of this film and the director willing to carry on along with the actors, this is a decent atmospheric horror with a nice touch of isolation due to the fact the trio can't escape from a possible impending death. There isn't much gore and blood splatter in this, what seems to be like a haunted house scenario slowly drifts into a different direction with a bit of a twist.

images (1).jpg
Old 15th November 2023, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Violent Night

Normally I wait until December to start watching Xmas Movies bit I've realized that it doesn't leave me much time and I really want to watch this a few times before it's out of season.

David Harbour is Santa Claus who goes all Die Hard when Terrorists try to rob a Family whilst holding them hostage. Initially, wasn't interested in this Film because I saw The Trailer far too many times in quick succession and got sick of it but I'm glad that I did see this one. Gloriously violent, full of humor along with lots of Xmas puns and weapons as well as inspiration from Home Alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vn.jpg (12.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th November 2023, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Violent Night
I'm pleased you posted this, nicholas.

I usually like to watch some sort of Christmas horror movie that i haven't seen and this, which i'd totally forgotten about, will do just nicely.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 29th November 2023, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Ice House (1978)

A bizarre and eerie ghost story (?) about a man who goes to stay at a residential spa out in the country. But a 'touch of the cools' and the strange vine which grows on the ice house, not to mention the creepy couple (Geoffrey Burridge amd Elisabeth Rommily) who run the place...

...Damn! After all these years i still don't really know what the hell is going on here but it's all so unnatural and unsettling that it becomes awkwardly compulsive and beautifully vague viewing whilst the phrase 'lamb to the slaughter' echoes through the head.

The newly released Ghost Stories for Christmas Volume 2 is home to the newly restored version of The Ice House and the upgrade in image quality is there for all to see.
Old 30th November 2023, 06:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Ice House (1978)

A bizarre and eerie ghost story (?) about a man who goes to stay at a residential spa out in the country. But a 'touch of the cools' and the strange vine which grows on the ice house, not to mention the creepy couple (Geoffrey Burridge amd Elisabeth Rommily) who run the place...

...Damn! After all these years i still don't really know what the hell is going on here but it's all so unnatural and unsettling that it becomes awkwardly compulsive and beautifully vague viewing whilst the phrase 'lamb to the slaughter' echoes through the head.

The newly released Ghost Stories for Christmas Volume 2 is home to the newly restored version of The Ice House and the upgrade in image quality is there for all to see.
It's so odd, which I love. Christmas ghostie stuff often takes after MR James, but if I'm straining for parallels maybe this is more Aickmanesque - hints, the weirdness you can't see, and just such a strange atmosphere. Thinking about an upgrade if it means I'll get to see this, 'Stigma' and 'The Signalman' in HD. Plus all the other good stuff on there that I've forgotten about.
Old 30th November 2023, 06:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Stigma (1977)

Stigma is certainly for me the most disturbing of all the Ghost Stories For Christmas. Set in the present day, well present day 1977, it's the final film of the series from director Lawrence Gordon Clark.

Where this differs from the MR James adaptations is that the subtleties of Gothic horror are long gone, Stigma melds Folk horror with what can only be described as full on body horror. The story which involves stone circles and ritual execution disturbs me more than most horror films. Kate Binchy's performance in a difficult lead role as a regular woman and mother who becomes afflicted with the stigma of bleeding uncontrollably is superb and very unsettling because it's done all so matter of factly. There's no big build up, no hysterics, she simply attempts to deal with her body bleeding for no apparent reason as best she can.

The whole thing is a bit gut wrenching and you can really hear the anguish in husband Peter Bowles cry as he realises his wife has died on the back seat of the car as the camera freeze frames on her now expressionless face.

Genuinely chilling stuff and definitely not the cosy comfort viewing of the earlier productions.

The outdoor shots, of which there are many, look really good in HD.
Old 30th November 2023, 06:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
It's so odd, which I love. Christmas ghostie stuff often takes after MR James, but if I'm straining for parallels maybe this is more Aickmanesque - hints, the weirdness you can't see, and just such a strange atmosphere. Thinking about an upgrade if it means I'll get to see this, 'Stigma' and 'The Signalman' in HD. Plus all the other good stuff on there that I've forgotten about.
I listened to Sean Hogan and Kim Newman's commentary of The Ice House last night in the hope of getting some explanations.

Nope. Zilch! It did intrigue as they kept referring to the owners of the spa as vampires. I presume it was metaphorically unless the bodies in the ice house were there as cold storage for blood.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 2nd December 2023, 08:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Violent Night.

David Harbour plays Jolly Old Saint Nick who makes a stop at a big manor country house that the occupants are held hostage by a group who want the mass fortune.

A mix of Bad Santa, Die Hard, Home Alone and Thor blended into one film with some deadly weapons used here include your expected firearms, but also a finely-honed candy cane, an icicle, a skating shoe, and a Christmas tree star, among other holiday items. Most prominent is the sledgehammer wielded by Santa, and the flashback to his pre-Santa days for explanation.

The violent action is plentiful, and it's well balanced with countless lines of comedy. Surprisingly, there is a story nestled in amongst the mayhem, and the heart of it revolves around the bond between Santa and young Trudy. She's a true believer in him and that overrides his uncertainty about the job, and inspires him to stick around for the fight. Santa can't explain the mystique of Christmas "magic", but he does know an 1100 year marriage has its ups and downs.

A good movie to start of the December watch list.

violent-night.jpg
Old 2nd December 2023, 09:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Chrstmas Story.

A timeless classic that never gets old ans still brings laughs and Darren McGavin bringing new words to the table when angry or fighting with the furnace. I'm sure we all want one present that we can associate with the film...a leg lamp that's Fra..Gee...Leh, a pink bunny rabbit outfit or something you can shoot your eye our with. A great film to watch in the morning while it's snowing outside.

p8655_v_v13_aj.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!