Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2023, 06:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

After a few years off i'm going to start The Box of Delights tonight. It's a wonderful six part Christmas serial starring Patrick Troughton and Robert Stephens.

A classic Yuletide fantasy drama with strong Pagan motifs in a magical Edwardian Christmas card world.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1596 (Medium).JPG (73.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 10th December 2023, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Better Watch Out. 2016.

I was never keen on this the first time watching this and decided to give it another viewing, second time round and my opinion has changed a lot towards this little flick. Olivia DeJonge is babysitting Levi Miller who appears to have a crush on her and then becomes a bit of a christmas home invasion style with a twist and curveball thrown in. The acting in this film is exceptional, especially Olivia DeJonge and Levi Miller. Miller, for instance, unravels and becomes unpredictable as the film goes on. It all works brilliantly, the movie getting darker and more demented as it progresses, its effectiveness no doubt helped by a thoroughly convincing central performance from its actors and director.

d47dbd645114f34285c4925f915dfdffb04e3e7ec9bf7657e5794b22e03eff67.jpg
Old 10th December 2023, 09:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Better Watch Out. 2016.

I was never keen on this the first time watching this and decided to give it another viewing, second time round and my opinion has changed a lot towards this little flick. Olivia DeJonge is babysitting Levi Miller who appears to have a crush on her and then becomes a bit of a christmas home invasion style with a twist and curveball thrown in. The acting in this film is exceptional, especially Olivia DeJonge and Levi Miller. Miller, for instance, unravels and becomes unpredictable as the film goes on. It all works brilliantly, the movie getting darker and more demented as it progresses, its effectiveness no doubt helped by a thoroughly convincing central performance from its actors and director.
Excellent film. Seen it a couple of times like yourself. Definitely a home invasion thriller with a twist.
Old 11th December 2023, 05:49 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
In all fairness i think it's the best Christmas slasher because there's a kill scene every seven minutes.

The only other films that run it close, and not by amount of kills, are Silent Night, Deadly Night and 2012's Silent Night which itself is a remake of Silent Night, Deadly Night.
Love that Remake, it's so funny and gory - need to find a blu ray ..
Old 11th December 2023, 06:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Love that Remake, it's so funny and gory - need to find a blu ray ..
It's one i shall be revisiting in the next couple of nights.
Old 11th December 2023, 06:32 PM
Active Cultist

Trading Places 1983. Not really a Christmas film but it has a festive setting as a backdrop. There likely is a few scenes considered problematic these days but it's not mean spirited, is funny and reminds me of being a kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91AVxHAZSfL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg (106.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th December 2023, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Retaliators

Set at Christmas with enough references to warrant it to be included in this Thread sees a Pastor who renounces violence given the opportunity to seek violent revenge on the man whom murdered his 17 year old Daughter, when a Police Detective introduces him to his revenge program (Think Hostel but for people wanting revenge)

Starring Jacoby Shaddix (Papa Roach), bands Five Finger Death Punch, Ice Nine Kills and Tommy Lee among others, this had unreached potential that if it had it's initial premise by the sole focus, would have made it much better, but it is good however there is a sort of side story involving rival Drug Gangs and Prisoners acting like Zombies that takes it down a notch but it's short at 80 minutes (never a bad thing) and it is gory and violent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r.jpg (12.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 11th December 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)

An amusing if not entirely successful retread of the first Home Alone film but switching the Chicago suburbs for New York.

The brick throwing scene still has the power to make my stomach turn as well as make me laugh at the same time.

Whilst Culkin, Pesci, Stern and O'Hara are all in good form you just can't help thinking you've seen it all before.

Enjoyable enough but i'd never watch it alongside Home Alone each year. One or the other and it's usually the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_fullxfull.4444059885_54ev (Medium).jpg (56.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th December 2023, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Oracle. 1985.

The same 80s plot, a woman and her fella move into a vacant flat, have a clearout and come across a spirit hand that is used to contact the dead, she uses it and something is awoken and her uses her body.

Roberta Findlay who is probably best known for her sexploitation and hardcore movies in the 70s branches out to a different sort of mainstream movies with a budget. I'm not saying this film is rubbish, yeah it is on a cheap budget, mild effects and a decent kill of a prostitute. The film does tend to sway in the direction of going of off the tracks and then back on with a somewhat twist at the end with some mediocre effects that can be laughable but probably effective back in the day.

MV5BMTY5Nzk0OTIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQ1NDgyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th December 2023, 12:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Home Alone 3. 1997.

Writer John Hughes gives us another Home Alone movie whether we wanted or needed another one or not, this time Alex D Linz is the 8 year old who is given a remote control car that has a chip in it and 4 intentional terrorists are on the hunt for it. There is some good cat and mouse games blended in but it seems the crooks have more comical quirks and funny moments and some bits seem to be better shown from a looney toon animation. IMHO this wasn't the best entry but it's a lot better than the fourth movie.

MV5BZTJhYjVhOWMtYTUyOS00NWM0LThjNzYtZWYxOTkwN2FhODg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!