Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2009, 05:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes there must have been a very good reason why they didn't mention Last House on the commentary. I think they deliberately avoided mentioning it for reasons known only to them.
Old 18th June 2009, 05:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
It is faked indeed- as the director explains in detail on the German (and Austrian) "Special Edition" DVD.
As far as I remember, the goat was "only" drugged, but not killed.

As far as "unbearable" scenes go: I just recently watched the uncut "Chaos"...and it has to be said that the murders of the 2 girls belong to the most viciously sadistic deaths I have ever witnessed in a movie.
I haven't seen 'Chaos', Peter but I have heard it is pretty much a rip-off of Last House on the Left... is it any good?

The goat scene is pretty sick in Island of Death, but does seem fake. I too, like Peter have the German Special Edition but have not watched any of the special features (they maybe all in German actually I'm not sure, I'd have to check). The US tagline to IOD makes me laugh though; 'The lucky one's simply got their brains blown out' (!)

I detest real, savage animal cruelty in films though, which is why I regard films like Cannibal Holocaust in lower regard than I would otherwise - as it is a superb film. I'm not a rose-tinted glasses kind of guy, I know stuff like this happens all the time in reality, but seeing it plastered across the screen in front of me is not entertaining. I have no problem with any kind of violence, torture, mutilation and degradation towards a person though, no matter what the method or circumstances! But as an animal lover, I'm a bit soft when it comes to animal cruelty footage. I will watch it, but will certainly cringe if it is really extreme - the turtle scene in CH for instance makes me turn away - I know they are eating it to 'survive' but that poor turtle...

EDIT: Re: Chaos - Angel beat me too it on the LHOTL query
Old 18th June 2009, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

That Middle East Terrorists , Executions and Wackjobs, or whatever its called is very hard to watch. Its from the guys who made Bum Fights and is also a doc, but it kinda crosses the line.
That guy getting burned to death goes on forever, and scenes of people getting feet, hands lopped off in close up is presented in imho a way that they have no respect for the subject of the film.
A truley sick film. One definitely to think about before watching.
Old 18th June 2009, 07:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I haven't seen 'Chaos', Peter but I have heard it is pretty much a rip-off of Last House on the Left... is it any good?
If you want to see the unofficial "modern sicko" version of "Last House", "Chaos" is certainly competently enough made and acted, BUT even more disturbing than the extremely graphic content is the filmmakers' grave insistance on this being a movie with a serious message instead of the rip off, which it so obviously is.
As far as "Last House" clons go, I'd take "Night Train Murders" over this any day, though I can't and won't fully dismiss it despite its unnecessarily nasty bits..
Old 18th June 2009, 08:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Cheers Peter. Chaos might be worth watching just to see how much of a rip-off of Last House on the Left it is! . I have to say though I'm not a great fan of the original Last House. I too like Night Train Murders, and prefer it to the original Last House. I still need to see the remake... from what I read from your review it sounds pretty good.
Old 18th June 2009, 08:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Chaos is almost a scene for scene remake, they even use the chainsaw in the final scene.

I've never been a fan of the original but found this vastly inferior.

Info from the IMDb
"Was planned as a remake of The Last House on the Left (1972) until a week into production, the producer felt it original enough to stand on its own".

"David Hess "Krug" from The Last House on the Left (1972), was originally cast in a major role and recommended friend Sage Stallone for the part of "Swan". After a week of shooting, the producer chose not to label the film a remake and replaced David Hess. Stallone quit, but was under contract which forced him to complete his scenes".
Old 19th June 2009, 08:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

@bizarre eye: Yes, the "Last House" remake is definitely worth checking out.

@Angel. If I'm not mistaken, Kevin Gage replaced Hess as the titular lead villain "Chaos".
Old 19th June 2009, 10:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=Peter Neal;31207]It is faked indeed- as the director explains in detail on the German (and Austrian) "Special Edition" DVD.
As far as I remember, the goat was "only" drugged, but not killed.

QUOTE]

He also explains it on the Vipco dvd ( thats right the Vipco disc has a wothwhile extra! )

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 19th June 2009, 10:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

so the overall understanding is I am a thick Moron cool, well I guess I should watch the extras more carefully before making myself look a tit on forums.
Old 19th June 2009, 10:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

You aint a fool Gold

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!