I just saw the caps too and im glad I got the Criterion blu

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 29th November 2011, 01:03 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
'Oh, let's just chuck out that old cut version. It looks a bit crap too but it'll do. I'm sure Noone will care or notice.'
They do it to save money. If the BD is the same version as the previous DVD, then they don't have to resubmit to the BBFC, the certificate still stands. Saying that, they BBFC have already passed the uncut version for LaserDisc, as pointed out eariler by Paul, so they could have still put it out uncut and not had to pay BBFC submission fees.

Since HD DVD died, Universal seems hell bent on putting out piss poor product on BD. Not everything is bad, admittedly, but they're very inconsistent.
Old 29th November 2011, 02:43 PM
Cultist

Oh well, no sale from me then, haven't seen this in ages & definately won't be buying this version, when are these companies going to stop trying to pull the wool over our eyes
Old 29th November 2011, 04:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've emailed my displeasure to Universal Pictures UK, so at least they'll know there's an issue if they release the censored cut of Videodrome. If no-one complains, they won't know, will they?

If you want to email them too, the address is: enquiriesuk@nbcuni.com

This is what I wrote to them:

Quote:
I'm just enquiring about the forthcoming UK Blu-ray of Videodrome. Will this be the full, uncensored and unrated version, as previously available in the UK on LaserDisc or will it be the censored R-rated version that was previously on UK DVD? If it's the latter, could I please ask that you rethink that decision, as a censored version is going to turn off a lot of potential buyers - myself included. It would seem a little misguided to put out a censored version of a film that has long been available in the USA uncut and is easily imported. In order not to hurt UK domestic sales, I'd advise that your version be comparable to that available overseas.
Old 29th November 2011, 08:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I've emailed my displeasure to Universal Pictures UK, so at least they'll know there's an issue if they release the censored cut of Videodrome. If no-one complains, they won't know, will they?

You never know - they might listen. They've just responded to the outrage regarding the omitting of Moustapha Akkad’s name from Halloween II's opening credits by offering replacement copies to anyone who wants them
Old 29th November 2011, 08:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:

Just done it. As I do this type of thing for 38 Degrees, I thought it a good idea. BTW my MP said on camera that he thinks people that do this sort of thing are "zombies". Eff him!
Old 29th November 2011, 08:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I actually really struggle to get to grips with the reasoning of whichever monkeys are behind the product control.

'Oh, let's just chuck out that old cut version. It looks a bit crap too but it'll do. I'm sure Noone will care or notice.'
Like the travesty that is the Walking Dead TV show blu-ray release. I bought the US R1 DVD special edition box set in the end as I don't own a multi-region BR player.
Old 29th November 2011, 09:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I'll pop them an e-mail. It certainly can't hurt.

I have to say, I don't think Criterion Blu looks without fault either. The framing looks off.
Old 1st December 2011, 11:33 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I'll pop them an e-mail. It certainly can't hurt.

I have to say, I don't think Criterion Blu looks without fault either. The framing looks off.
There's a lot more image in the Universal release and in my eyes looks sharper and better colours than the Criterion too, shame it's the cut version (although that hasn't been confirmed yet)

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 1st December 2011, 11:42 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just had a reply from Universal UK.

Quote:
The release will be the same as previously released on DVD in the UK.
So the UK gets shafted again. Nice one, Universal.

I replied to them with this:

Quote:
Might I ask why you are yet again releasing the cut, censored version on home video in the UK? The uncut version was passed uncut by the BBFC for LaserDisc, so why do you insist on continuously putting out the censored version? Is there any reason why you won't be releasing it in its full uncensored form? Do you not have access to an uncut master? Criterion in the USA have recently released this on Blu-ray - fully uncut and uncensored. Why aren't we, in the UK, getting a comparable version? This is obviously going to lose you sales and once again short-changes UK customers.

Like this? Share it using the links below!