Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2012, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not a fan of Twilight Time anyway. £30 for barebones blu-rays of generally mediocre films isn't my sort of thing.
I wouldn´t call Fright Night a mediocre film, but that´s just an opinion.

Quote:
I can actually see all these titles being re-released in a year or so by the parent studios with a nice compliment of extras etc. anyway.
Generally, Twilight Time releases have 3 plus years of copyright over these limited releases.

I´ve read somewhere that their Fright Night release, while limited, is locked to their company until 2015.

Quote:
You'd have to be pretty mad to pay that - especially for a film like Fright Night!
Yes, pretty mad indeed... one of the best 30€ I´ve spent.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Looking at the Night Of The Living Dead post on Twilight Time's facebook page, the blu-ray will actually have an isolated score, commentary with Tom Savini, and the theatrical trailer. The documentary is still missing though.
Actually starting to consider this one now I know i'll be getting something more substantial for the price.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Generally, Twilight Time releases have 3 plus years of copyright over these limited releases.
I'll say it again: yes they do but only in North America. Sony can release these titles in any other territory at any time they like. It's only in America that they can't. So they could well surface on BD in another territory at any given time - and I'm betting they will. And if they surface, say in Germany, on region-free BDs, they'll effectively be able to sell it worldwide and even US residents will be able to import it.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:16 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The main issue here though s Sony itself. They seem to have almost given up on catalogue titles bar their gold series and big franchises. I don't think they've actually released one that doesn't fit those bills this year.

I think it would be more a case of a European company doing similar to TT or Image and striking a licensing deal with them. Hopefully that will happen as I really don't think Sony are interested at all.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:52 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
The main issue here though s Sony itself. They seem to have almost given up on catalogue titles bar their gold series and big franchises. I don't think they've actually released one that doesn't fit those bills this year.

I think it would be more a case of a European company doing similar to TT or Image and striking a licensing deal with them. Hopefully that will happen as I really don't think Sony are interested at all.
Hopefully a company like Second Sight will start looking into it. They've already managed with stuff like Return of the Living Dead from MGM. Demand IS there for these films on BD so I think it's only a matter of time before they start surfacing in other territories.
Old 1st September 2012, 06:54 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'll say it again: yes they do but only in North America. Sony can release these titles in any other territory at any time they like. It's only in America that they can't. So they could well surface on BD in another territory at any given time - and I'm betting they will. And if they surface, say in Germany, on region-free BDs, they'll effectively be able to sell it worldwide and even US residents will be able to import it.
Let's be honest, if Sony had ANY intention of releasing these films in other territories, they already would have. Hell, they haven't even released Night Of The Creeps except in the US. I think you'll all be moaning in a few years that you should've bought the Twilight Time discs, when none of these films appear on blu-ray in other countries.

YOU'VE ALL BEEN WARNED!
Old 1st September 2012, 07:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Let's be honest, if Sony had ANY intention of releasing these films in other territories, they already would have. Hell, they haven't even released Night Of The Creeps except in the US. I think you'll all be moaning in a few years that you should've bought the Twilight Time discs, when none of these films appear on blu-ray in other countries.

YOU'VE ALL BEEN WARNED!
More to the point, if everyone DID decide to pick these titles up (as seemed to happen with fright night) there simply would not be the stock levels available to meet demand, so an fans of the movie without $30 + shipping to spend immediately, and lets face it, a lot of us on here have to delay buying some of the stuff released through lack of cash, well then the person who can't swoop on it day of release are screwed. Especially since the speculators are almost guarenteed to go out and buy multiple copies to resell at a marked up price.

I'm still surprised no-one like second sight looked at the sales of fright night and thought "i'll have some of that" Sony are a corporation at the end of the day and money talks.
Old 1st September 2012, 01:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I was answering to the term "re-release" and not "new release". The term "re-release" usually applies to the same company releasing the title again, that in Fright Night´s case Twilight Time cannot do that because of contractual demands. If, like you say, a like company like Second Sight could release such a title that is a "new release".
Old 1st September 2012, 03:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Hopefully a company like Second Sight will start looking into it. They've already managed with stuff like Return of the Living Dead from MGM. Demand IS there for these films on BD so I think it's only a matter of time before they start surfacing in other territories.
I think Second Sight got that through Hollywood Classics rather than MGM.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I think Second Sight got that through Hollywood Classics rather than MGM.
Quite possibly, but surely MGM provided the transfer?

As for the remarks that we may wish we'd bought the TT titles, I beg to differ. As production costs of BDs comes down it will make t easier and more financially viable for companies to take a chance on niche titles. I don't doubt these films will surface on BD in other territories at some point. I just think that those who bought the TT titles secretly hope that they don't get released in other territories so that their copies retain their value and rarity.

Like this? Share it using the links below!