Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Wes 26th September 2011 04:00 PM

Saw Ganja & Hess yesterday. Amazing film...

gag 26th September 2011 04:16 PM

Just seen run bitch run it was ok but nowt special ending was a bit off a let down and fell a bit flat...

Slippery Jack 26th September 2011 04:23 PM

Sleepless
Went in with my expectations appropriately lowered, but even then I didn’t think much of it. Thought Max von Sydow sleepwalked through his performance, seemed very apparent to me that he didn’t have much faith in the material! A very sub standard and clumsily paced plot, with a boring protagonist to boot. It’s a shame, as the opening sequence on the train I thought was very strong. Unfortunately, the film failed to live up to it, and felt very Giallo-by-numbers.

The Fifth Cord
Great film! I really enjoyed this, and probably the best looking Giallo I’ve seen so far - Vittorio Storaro’s cinematography is pretty incredible! Some beautifully composed shots, with strong, angular lines slicing through the frame, achieving an impressive modern look that has dated really well. The style is perfectly complimented by Bazzoni’s unfussy direction, staging some very effective set pieces. As always, it wasn’t the strongest of plots, and to be honest I kept losing track from marvelling at the visuals! I had trouble keeping up with the array of suspect/victims and how they related to one another – I imagine this would improve on a second viewing. The strong central performance by Franco Nero held my interest where the plot was lacking, I’ll be definitely checking out more of his work. Same goes for Bazzoni, though from the imdb it doesn’t look like he was the most prolific of directors. Sure to be among my favourite Gialli once I’ve got through enough of them to make a list!

bdc 26th September 2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 184556)
The Fifth Cord
I had trouble keeping up with the array of suspect/victims and how they related to one another – I imagine this would improve on a second viewing.

I needed several viewings to fully appreciate this one myself. ;)

James Morton 26th September 2011 05:59 PM

What films have you seen recently?

same here for FIFTH CORD, but SLEEPLESS is an excellent film

Culture Vulture 26th September 2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 184505)
Have you seen Timecrimes? A similar kind of deal. I got a lot less out of it on second viewing when it all kind of fell apart . . .

I adore Timecrimes, an awesome film everyone on these boards should own. As for Triangle, while not a masterpiece, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm glad it's a part of my BD collection! :cool:

pedromonkey 26th September 2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture Vulture (Post 184627)
I adore Timecrimes, an awesome film everyone on these boards should own. As for Triangle, while not a masterpiece, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm glad it's a part of my BD collection! :cool:

totally agree with you, i was blown away by Timecrimes, As for Triangle, i thought it was a great attempt at a groundhog day-esq thriller, and Melissa George gives a brilliant performance....

mercury 26th September 2011 08:23 PM

Watched Cirque Du Freak, Almost Human.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 184677)
Watched Cirque Du Freak, Almost Human.

What was Cirque Du Freak like?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 09:10 PM

I've just finished a double bill of This Stuff'll Kill Ya! and The Year of the Yahoo!, which are both cheap movies, released by Something Weird Video. The quality is pretty bad, both of the DVD and other films, with The Year of the Yahoo! being the best of the two and I could only make out about two words in every 2 in every 3 because of the terrible sound quality in This Stuff'll Kill Ya!.