Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Pigasus 9th April 2010 03:24 PM

Just watched Herostratus (1967)... clearly influential, but still wholly pretentious art house fodder, with too much Allen Ginsberg footage.

vincenzo 9th April 2010 04:42 PM

The Slayer

Despite having to bear a ghastly Vipco print (digitally remastered on a George Foreman mini-grill) this is still one of the better nasties for me. Quite slow but nicely atmospheric, and starring Sarah Kendall who appears to be Sigourney Weaver's doppelganger.

The once cut (now uncut) pitchfork stabbing is still a very clever piece of makeup by any standards.

Debzz 9th April 2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 72580)
"'ello"
"Did you just say 'Hello'?"
"Nah, I said 'ello, but that's close enough." :pound:

How can anyone NOT like Jim Henson?! The man was a genius!

Does anyone remember the TV show 'Muppets Tonight'? I used to watch it religiously as a kid - watched it on the tv, recorded it, and watched it non-stop all week! :pound:

"We've got a show to do, guaranteed brand new, so click on the Muppets, click on the Muppets, click on the Muppet's Tonight." Woooo!

i love jim henson, have u ever watched storyteller? amazing series! :D
i always thought puppets and animatronics is much more cozier that cgi!

:D

pedromonkey 9th April 2010 05:57 PM

yeah i remember that, John Hurt was the storyteller, disney channel played it a couple of years ago before they started making hannah montana and Lizzy Maguire....why do i know these things?

Debzz 9th April 2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 72953)
yeah i remember that, John Hurt was the storyteller, disney channel played it a couple of years ago before they started making hannah montana and Lizzy Maguire....why do i know these things?

coz u secretly watch hannah montana and lizzie maguire hahaha! :P

yeah i love storyteller, one of my favourite tv series. michael gambon was the next storyteller after john hurt but i always though john hurt was better he's soo cozy :D

pedromonkey 9th April 2010 06:32 PM

while not admiting to watching Hannah montana and Lizzy Maguire i have seen Camp Rock more than once, i don't know why because i dispise the Jonas Brothers and think they would be more entertaining if they were zombies wearing small party hats, but for some reason if it's on and im flicking channels, i will inevitbly watch it....never seen High School Musical Though and i mean NEVER.......

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 06:36 PM

:lol: No need to feel embarrassed for that Pedro.You could be like me and own Step Up 2 on blu-ray.:biggrin:

pedromonkey 9th April 2010 07:01 PM

i enjoyed step up 1 + 2, the dance in the rain at the end of 2 is phenomenal, im not embarassed by camp rock, i think it's an enjoyable film, i was brought up in a house of musicals and Dirty Dancing, so horror and cult movies are like my alter ego, i'll watch love actually then straight after id watch die Hard, yo know to balance out my masculinity and my femininity, im not gay by the way, not that there's anything wrong with that, oh god i sound like a homophobe, AAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!, im not a homophobe....:lol::lol::lol:

Philleh 9th April 2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 72930)
The Slayer

Despite having to bear a ghastly Vipco print (digitally remastered on a George Foreman mini-grill) this is still one of the better nasties for me. Quite slow but nicely atmospheric, and starring Sarah Kendall who appears to be Sigourney Weaver's doppelganger.

The once cut (now uncut) pitchfork stabbing is still a very clever piece of makeup by any standards.

Got to admit that i'm a fan too! Haven't seen it since the ol' cut Vipco VHS though! Bah. :ack:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 72985)
while not admiting to watching Hannah montana and Lizzy Maguire i have seen Camp Rock more than once, i don't know why because i dispise the Jonas Brothers and think they would be more entertaining if they were zombies wearing small party hats, but for some reason if it's on and im flicking channels, i will inevitbly watch it....never seen High School Musical Though and i mean NEVER.......

I once received High School Musical 2 on DVD from Amazon. I was pissed as it was supposed to be the Blade Runner Tin. :ack:

pedromonkey 9th April 2010 09:35 PM

how would they cock an order like that up....blade runner...high school musical, i would have sued....

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 09:41 PM

Perhaps they thought it was a mistake.After all,why would anyone want an old film like Blade Runner when they could have a film as cool as High School Musical. :eek:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th April 2010 09:43 PM

High School Musical :ack:

Just finished watching Forbidden World and enjoyed it A LOT. Nice and gory in parts too. It's a shame there's no extras, a menu would have been nice! :laugh: Oh well, at least the film was a lot of fun!

vincenzo 9th April 2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 73000)
Got to admit that i'm a fan too! Haven't seen it since the ol' cut Vipco VHS though! Bah. :ack:

In terms of picture quality the old cut Vipco VHS was better than the uncut Vipco DVD! :ack:

It's a slow film admittedly but I like the buildup. The makeup effects on the dream demon (all too briefly glimpsed) are also impressive. :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th April 2010 12:18 AM

The Slayer is a little gem of a film and beggars belief that no one has given it a good digital going over!:tsk:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th April 2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 73029)
High School Musical :ack:

!

Your experience as a HSM basketball extra wasn't good was it Kyle?

Tell the members.....we're here to help....:lol:

nekromantik 10th April 2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 73057)

ha ha :lol:

Thats shocking... :ack:

snapon 10th April 2010 05:40 AM

new films/sh films

in the last few weeks i picked up box of the banned2,the tigon collection coffin shape boxset -both anchor bay.trilogy of the dead a/b.the 36 chamber of shaolin. bird with the crystal plumage,cat o nine tails.phenomena.profondo rosso.all from cex stores in london and essex. heard bad stories about cex . a few discs are scratched i put them in a cheap maplin disc restorer good as new . paid 5 pounds for alien quadrilogy for the price of these films and others most out of print.i cant knock CEX.

pedromonkey 10th April 2010 10:42 AM

watched Beastmaster last night, aint seen it in yonks, enjoyable conan Rip off with a Marc Singer rocking a mightyly loincloth, prefer him as Mike Donovan in V though...

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 10th April 2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 73057)

I'd rather not talk about it Reaps. Those were indeed dark times. :p

vincenzo 10th April 2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 73056)
The Slayer is a little gem of a film and beggars belief that no one has given it a good digital going over!

Vipco gave it a good going over. With a baseball bat. :ack:

KPWNINJA 10th April 2010 11:29 AM

Finally got around to watching EDEN LAKE last night and all I can say is... WOW!

It's been a very long time since a movie has left me feeling emotionally drained. Highly recommended!!! :D

Angel 10th April 2010 08:41 PM

Evil Come, Evil Go (1972)

Just plain awful.

42ndStreetFreak 10th April 2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 73235)
Evil Come, Evil Go (1972)

Just plain awful.

Noooooooo...... Cheap, dirty, fun, camp, sleazy, cheeky Grindhouse fare with a wonderful lead character who's all Bibles and crucifix's but also all horny loins and big knives too.
Groovy. Not awful...Well yes, pretty awful. But still groovy! :biggrin:

nekromantik 10th April 2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPWNINJA (Post 73103)
Finally got around to watching EDEN LAKE last night and all I can say is... WOW!

It's been a very long time since a movie has left me feeling emotionally drained. Highly recommended!!! :D

Yeah its a very good british flick.
Prefer it to The Children.

Have you seen Iils??
Its similar to Eden Lake as in kids are attacking a couple. And its also like the strangers, altho you could say strangers was a rip off Iils exp they just changed killer kids to masked killers.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 10th April 2010 09:53 PM

Watched two films today.

Started with Gory Gory Hallelujah - what an odd film. If you like Troma, then you'll luv this film! About a group of Jesus impersonators who are taken 'hostage' by a super-religious village. Oh and there's a midget Elvis impersonater. And zombies. Oh and it's a bit of a musical too! :laugh: Lots of fun, over the top and very silly!

Then watched Phantom Of The Paradise - this was an awesome film! The music was great (Mr. Williams, oh yeah) and so was the story. Highly highly recommended! The rock song in the middle with Beef/The Undead is great!!!!

pedromonkey 10th April 2010 10:16 PM

i came across the Phantom of The Paradise buy complete accident and fell in love with it the minute it started....awesome film...

vincenzo 10th April 2010 11:45 PM

First saw Phantom Of The Paradise at a late night cinema showing in the 80's. Tremendously entertaining film and great fun. :nod:

re.form 11th April 2010 02:13 AM

Zombieland - brilliant mainstream film, fast paced, good fun and can't help but think about Nightmare City. Great stuff. The cameo was the worst part for me, I felt it slowed down the movie and was to much of an ass kiss that felt out of place. Other than that, awsome - alot of rewatch value.

Huasu (aka House) 1977 Japanese film with batshit crazy editing that flirts with lunacy and also genius. Classic Asian cinema. Wont be forgetting this one in hurry.

vincenzo 11th April 2010 11:42 AM

Night Of The Generals (1966)

In Nazi-occupied Warsaw a ripper-style serial killer is murdering and sexually disfiguring prostitutes. Police chief Omar Sharif discovers that the killer is an army general, and 3 possibles are suspected. Obsessive war hero Peter O'Toole, lascivious Charles Gray, and creepy bookworm Donald Pleasence.
Sharif is murdered after identifying the killer and his identity is never known. 20 years later in post-war Paris the killings start up again, and all 3 suspects are again on the scene. Can French detective Philippe Noiret identify the killer from old case files & evidence before he strikes again?

A flawed masterpiece. Brilliant cast (including Tom Courtenay, Coral Browne, the gorgeous Joanna Pettet, and Christopher Plummer as Rommel) and a superbly creepy Maurice Jarre score. Overlength and a totally irrelevant section concerning the anti-Hitler July plot bog the film down badly in the middle, and some of the incidental casting stretches credibility a bit (Harry Andrews, Gordon Jackson & John Gregson as Nazis?) - but the film builds up quite nicely to a splendid conclusion in modern day France. O'Toole is superb as always, and sharp eyes will spot Sacha Pitoeff (Argento's Inferno) and Howard Vernon (Jess Franco regular) in small roles.

Heavily cut for an 'A certificate in 1966 (which completely altered most of the relevance of the murders!) but now uncut as a 15. Highly recommended as long as you stay through the film's slower spots.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th April 2010 11:46 AM

Watched Not Quite Hollywood on Film4 last night.What an excellent look into the Australian film industry.Really made me want to check out some of the gems I've been missing.The only thing I didn't like was mr annoying himself,Quentin Tarantino.

oaxaca 11th April 2010 12:02 PM

I watched The Ordeal last night (Belgian horror directed by Fabrice Du Welz, released on Tartan Terror label). Quite a shocking film once it gets going (about 50 mins in). A guy gets stranded in this backwater community in the Ardennes and is unlucky enough to lodge with a complete psycho who lost his girlfriend and thinks this new lodger is his girlfriend returned. Anyway, the rest of the community are equally mental. It has some subtle pitch black humour, the type which makes you wonder whether you should be laughing or not :p. Definitely a bleak film, very nice cinematography, a gripping watch really. Its done in similar style to the French film Satan, starring Vincent Cassell. Its also heavily influence by Straw Dogs and Stephen King's Misery. A worthwhile watch :thumb:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2010 12:44 PM

Ordeal was great!

Watched Through the Electric Mist with TL Jones last night.Weird bloody film.....:dizzy:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2010 12:45 PM

And now that I've the house to myself...I'm gonna finally watch DAY OF THE DEAD in glorious Blu Ray....I'll report back later....:biggrin:

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th April 2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 73376)
Watched Through the Electric Mist with TL Jones last night.Weird bloody film.....:dizzy:

I wish they had made more Dave Robicheaux movies with Alec Baldwin after Heaven's Prisoners.I don't know if he still owns the rights to some of the books but he did at the time Heaven's Prisoners was made.

oaxaca 11th April 2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 73376)
Ordeal was great!

I've got my eyes on this. OK its wierd but is it any good :p ??

snapon 12th April 2010 06:53 AM

new movie

watched dummy and run bitch run both good films.

DeadAlive 12th April 2010 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They Live
This may be one of John Carpenters lesser films, but it is still a lot of fun. The fight between Roddy Piper and David Keith in particular is one of my all time favourite John Carpenter moments.

KPWNINJA 12th April 2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 73471)
They Live
This may be one of John Carpenters lesser films, but it is still a lot of fun. The fight between Roddy Piper and David Keith in particular is one of my all time favourite John Carpenter moments.

I think They Live is one of John Carpenter's best films alongside Escape from New York, Halloween and The Thing :)

oaxaca 12th April 2010 10:31 AM

Classic, perhaps one of the only good films to star a WWF wrestler? Well except Hulk Hogan's MR NANNY of course:heh:

ps. If you like this I recommend Alex Cox's Repo Man!