All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Oh yeah, practically sold out. It was in one the local cinema's smaller screens and you got a goodie bag (santa hat, sweets, satsuma etc) and a free bottle of alcoholic or non-alcoholic ginger beer with your ticket too. Had a great night!

It's such a great little cinema too - they're always doing great screenings like this.
ah, the last time we got anything like that was when we saw Nightmare Before Xmas, and all that was was some Space Raiders haha.

sounds like a nice place.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:39 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah, practically sold out. It was in one the local cinema's smaller screens and you got a goodie bag (santa hat, sweets, satsuma etc) and a free bottle of alcoholic or non-alcoholic ginger beer with your ticket too. Had a great night!

It's such a great little cinema too - they're always doing great screenings like this.
Sounds like a great cinema and a brilliant night out. You don't get things like that at Cineworld, Vue or Odeon, do you?!
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:40 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
ah, the last time we got anything like that was when we saw Nightmare Before Xmas, and all that was was some Space Raiders haha.

sounds like a nice place.
Yeah, if you're ever in Newcastle make sure to go to the Tyneside Cinema. They have a great bar and a great cafe too.

Twice this year they've done all-night screenings, finishing at 10am the next morning, for 75p a ticket - great cult stuff like Faster Pussycat, Withnail and I, Cat People, Wizard of Oz, Suspiria, Peeping Tom etc. Awesome nights!
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:43 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, if you're ever in Newcastle make sure to go to the Tyneside Cinema. They have a great bar and a great cafe.

Twice this year they've done all-night screenings, finishing at 10am the next morning, for 75p a ticket - great cult stuff like Faster Pussycat, Withnail and I, Cat People, Wizard of Oz, Suspiria, Peeping Tom etc. Awesome nights!
I've been to the Tyneside Cinema once, but not for an all-night screening. They sound superb and it's something I'd love to attend, but I'd probably need to make some arrangements well in advance.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The small 'art house' cinema in Nice are still showing Drive so I managed to persuade my wife to go and see it with me and she absolutely loved it, which made it an even better viewing experience for me as she has an aversion to any violence in films (although there was a bit of eye covering to be honest).

What's more to say really? Hands down my fave new film of the year (seen it 3 times now) and once again Winding Refn proves himself to be a director who is unafraid to pave his own creative path. He's still yet to make a lesser film for me.

Also it has my favourite soundtrack of the year too.
Slippery Jack likes this.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 23rd December 2011, 02:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
she has an aversion to any violence in films (although there was a bit of eye covering to be honest).
A bit?! Finally caught up with this last night - never expected it to be that violent (that lift scene!!!) Mr. Noe has a lot to answer for...

Needless to say I loved it. I wondered during the opening scenes if the super slick retro stylings would negate emotional involvement in the story, but I had no problem getting drawn in once it got going. Some superb casting here, especially the double act of Pearlman and Brooks (though I only see Hank Scorpio whenever he speaks ). Thought Refn's style translated superbly to the more mainstream material, a perfectly crafted Hollywood thriller. More please, maybe an Elmore Leonard adaptation . . .
Phurious likes this.
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:33 PM
Active Cultist

Finally, after a lifetimes waiting, saw Island of Lost Souls yesterday and it lived up to expectations. Truly this is the missing link of early horror - the House of Pain, Are We Not Men? - iconic stuff, thank god we can see it again. Amazing monster makeups, a brilliantly prissy Charles Laughton. Great package from Criterion - 4 great talking head pieces each covering a different angle on the movie and a commentary - that's how to treat an ancient movie. I'm afraid Euerkas dawdling will cost them on this title.
Old 24th December 2011, 02:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

just seen Dont Be Afraid of the Dark.

now as it was produced by Del Toro I thought it should be good, it was not good per se but for some reason I enjoyed it until the end. A lot of people hated it but I thought it was better then both Thing prequel and Straw Dogs reboot.

yes there was plenty of things wrong with it and as a whole was not great but still it wasted away 90 mins where I could have been bored!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 24th December 2011, 07:42 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
A bit?! Finally caught up with this last night - never expected it to be that violent (that lift scene!!!) Mr. Noe has a lot to answer for...

Needless to say I loved it. I wondered during the opening scenes if the super slick retro stylings would negate emotional involvement in the story, but I had no problem getting drawn in once it got going. Some superb casting here, especially the double act of Pearlman and Brooks (though I only see Hank Scorpio whenever he speaks ). Thought Refn's style translated superbly to the more mainstream material, a perfectly crafted Hollywood thriller. More please, maybe an Elmore Leonard adaptation . . .
apparantly mr refn consulted gasper noe on how to achieve said lift scene!
Old 24th December 2011, 07:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
apparantly mr refn consulted gasper noe on how to achieve said lift scene!
Great interview with Gosling and Refn here, where Refn refers to Noe as the "king of head smashing".

Interestingly the director of Spanish thriller Kidnapped contacted Noe too, for a way more visceral head smashing than the one in Drive!

Noe should just serve as a 'head smash consultant' for movies when he's not directing.
Slippery Jack likes this.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage

Like this? Share it using the links below!