Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 14th January 2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 209439)
And also watched Wampyr,the Italian cut.Well with the Goblin music and the Italian dub it has a Giallo feel but the editing makes the plot more confusing

Agreed. Quite a poor job on the re-edit. Biggest mistake was chopping out all the stuff between Martin and cousin Christina - kind of the heart of the film . . .

sawyer6 14th January 2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 209443)
Agreed. Quite a poor job on the re-edit. Biggest mistake was chopping out all the stuff between Martin and cousin Christina - kind of the heart of the film . . .

Indeed:nod:

antmumford 14th January 2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 209438)
I got that one from Poundland too... only I thought it was a bit rubbish :lol: . . .

If you thought that was rubbish then I'd be intrigued to know what low budget horror you think is great ;)

Slippery Jack 14th January 2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 209449)
If you thought that was rubbish then I'd be intrigued to know what low budget horror you think is great ;)

Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, Texas Chainsaw, Evil Dead... :tongue1:

A more recent one that sticks in my mind is the infection flick Mulberry St., unfortunately retitled Zombie Virus on Mulberry Street for the UK. Splinter was pretty decent too. LOVE Pontypool . . .

nekromantik 14th January 2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 209452)
Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, Texas Chainsaw, Evil Dead... :tongue1:

A more recent one that sticks in my mind is the infection flick Mulberry St., unfortunately retitled Zombie Virus on Mulberry Street for the UK. Splinter was pretty decent too. LOVE Pontypool . . .

Loved Mulberry Street, Splinter and Pontypool was good too!

Frankie Teardrop 14th January 2012 09:46 PM

I watched THE DEMON SEED today, inspired by whispy memories of seeing it when I was a kid (although I also saw it dead drunk a couple years ago, a complete black out). I thought it was wonderful. A macrocosm within a microcosm, the film dares to take on big themes like the nature of consciousness and the depths of human belonging whilst planting them firmly within the sci-fi / exploitation context of what is essentially a computer-rape scenario. Now, digital sex assault in a tawdry 70s sub-future may not be all that great but this film certainly is, and it's a testament to Don Cammell and his direction that his haunting work constantly evokes questions that loom larger than the events portrayed. An insistent eerieness runs through the proceedings (I often find this happens with a certain kind of film from the seventies) and I feel it would've played well alongside Cronenberg of this period, although some of its narrative moves are slightly more obvious. With its philosophy and nastiness, would surely be ripe for some kind of harsh contemporary J-horror update - be 'nice' to see Sato ('Naked Blood' etc) take it on.
Earlier in the week I sat down with THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM. I didn't dig it all that much. I haven't seen 'Lisa and the Devil' so don't feel able to denounce this as a butchered and flayed figment, although I'm aware of its history. Maybe it was my mood, maybe I'd primed myself for something more dream-like... but it didn't hook me, and I ended things thinking I'd prefer almost any other Bava, although, again, in this version it wasn't really his film. I should probably give it another go, but I actually think that if you're going to remix from borderline art-house to grindhouse, you might as well go overboard with the exploitative elements, which were only tepid here (and all ripped off, unsurprisingly, from 'The Exorcist'). What else have I seen recently? JULIE DARLING courtesy of Code Red. Basically a trashier take on 'Bad Seed' thematics, it drapes saggy raiments of evil-teen melodrama over an awkward frame of incest-fantasy. It's maybe worth watching as a slice of odd-film history and, despite its murkier undercurrents rarely surfacing all that explicitly, it retains an authentic 'exploitation' feeling atmospherically, although 'Bloody Birthday' remains a much more compelling take on kids killing a bunch of adults and generally being horrible a mon avis.

Nordicdusk 14th January 2012 09:56 PM

Ti Wests The House of the Devil.
I really enjoyed this film just finished watching it a few minutes ago. Its got a real slow build up but feels creepy all the way sort of unsettling when you have no idea whats going to happen. I didnt read anything about this movie before i seen it so everything was a surprise to me. I really like how it was shot to look like a 70s or 80s era horror movie. Its a really good watch all the way through.

antmumford 14th January 2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 209452)

Loved all those too to be honest :lol: although The Signal is definitely the best of that bunch :p

Slippery Jack 14th January 2012 10:26 PM

bleh. I just didn't think it brought anything new to the table, and the comedy middle section I found horribly misjudged - stuck out a mile from the two similar parts it was sandwiched between. The three parts by three directors thing sounded good on paper, but think it came across as quite confused in the finished film - like a half-assed anthology-but-not-really film :ohwell: . . .

antmumford 14th January 2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 209478)
bleh. I just didn't think it brought anything new to the table, and the comedy middle section I found horribly misjudged - stuck out a mile from the two similar parts it was sandwiched between. The three parts by three directors thing sounded good on paper, but think it came across as quite confused in the finished film - like a half-assed anthology-but-not-really film :ohwell: . . .

Shame you saw it that way, although I know what you mean about the mid section and if it wasn't executed right then it wouldn't work but for me it did. As we all say though, each to their own. There's many a film I despise that people rave about ie. Two Lane Blacktop, now that was a messy excuse for talented filmmaking :) Uh Oh! :mob: