Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Mojo 19th April 2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 625345)
Grave of the Vampire. 1972.

Kroft, a vampire returns from the grave and attacks a couple, the woman gives birth to a baby boy that feeds on blood. 30 years later the boy who has grown up searches for the man who raped his mother and plans to kill him in revenge.

70s horror that was made quickly and low on the production scales and mediocre editing that was involved makes it look bad. This is a different take on the vampire genre, with a plot that seems daft and uninteresting, this was actually decent, it ain't perfect due to some noticeable flaws. Michael Pataki makes a decent vampire while William Smith plays the son who wants revenge. Worth a watch.

Attachment 223887

Never seen the Vipco version, but I have to admit that cover art is absolutely stunning :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2020 02:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 625380)
Never seen the Vipco version, but I have to admit that cover art is absolutely stunning :nod:

I kept my VCI discs of Lady Frankenstein and Edgar Allan Poe's Horror aka The Blancheville Monster because the artworks were far better then the ones on the discs with quality prints.

Inspector Abberline 19th April 2020 05:05 PM

Cannibals suck

2 Attachment(s)
Cannibal Apocalypse.
My favourite out of all the cannibal movie's, mainly because it does offer something different to all the usual natives in loin cloths chowing down on some poor Italian extra,we use to get. John Saxon gives his all ,as always as the leader of a bunch of ex Vietnam vets,who have gone rabid.Giovanni Lombardo Radice does his usual moody, I'm better than this film performance and Tony King does an admirable job of gurning and attacking people.. Although alot is made about its cannibal credentials,I think it has more in common with David Cronenbergs Rabid.Anyhow the Kino release is the way to go, unless this gets a UK release for the new 4k scan.I also watched Emanuelle in America but I was not really in the mood for horse cocks or cock sucking....

MrBarlow 19th April 2020 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Savage Dawn. 1985.

A Vietnam vet travels to a small town to visit a old friend, soon a biker gang show up hell bent on destruction, with nothing to loose the two friends and some locals team up and plan a war against the bikers.

With stars like Lance Henriksen and George Kennedy appearing as the main leads along with Karen Black and William Forsythe, i thought the film would have good potential, it's very slow paced and seems to be focused on one area of action/fighting. The plot seemed to be heading the right way but some bad acting, directing or both puts a sudden holt on it. Even at the end with the last fight was poorly edited so we can only second guess as to what exactly happened to the bad guy.

Attachment 223901

MrBarlow 19th April 2020 07:36 PM

Twisted Nightmare. 1987.

A group of teens get invited to a summer camp they once attended as kids. Soon one by one they slowly start to disappear, the survivors think there is a connection with the death of a handicap teen who died there previously.

Teens, Summer camp and killer on the loose...sound familiar? Yep it's a straight off the cuff Friday 13th rip-off, filmed in the same place as the third and does try to imitate some of the 3D effects. The acting is never great and seems like no one was taking it seriously, only thing that saved this low budget was the few scenes on the naked ladies and the killings, the twist in the end was expected as to the killer was but then comes a unlikely hero.

nicholasrope 19th April 2020 08:46 PM

Amsterdamned, Bloodfist, Up In The Air & A.W.O.L

4 Attachment(s)
Amsterdamned

Dutch thriller about a serial killer lurking in the Canals of Amsterdam. It's an enjoyable thriller.

Bloodfist

Don "The Dragon" Wilson fight film which came along in the slew of B-Movie Martial Art films that came out late 80's to the early 90's. Standard revenge plot but has some really good fight scenes. Billy Blanks co-stars.

Up In The Air

George Clooney drama where he works for a company that fires employees for other companies (Not sure if that job actually exists) Anna Kendrick is the young upstart that he teaches the ropes and Vera Fermiga plays his love interest. Even though the premise sounds boring but it's a well crafted film.

A.W.O.L
Classic Van Damme film where he goes into fighting in order to help his sister in law. One of Van Damme's best films. Billy Blanks has a blink and you miss him cameo at the beginning. Michel Quissi (The actor who plays Tong Po from Kickboxer) is in it along with other Kickboxer co-star Harrison Page

trebor8273 19th April 2020 09:00 PM

Watched the star wars prequels on Disney plus. Still plenty wrong with them , the dialogue and writing , Jar Jar ****ing binks ! Enjoyed them even with the flaws, have to say Ultra Hd really brings to light just how the effects have not aged well, a lot of places the animated clone wars series looks more realistic!

Also came to the conclusion that the Jedi are the villains of the movies, they are arrogant, repressed , child kidnappers and controlling and are more to blame for Vader than the emperor! The Jed are a bunch of dicks.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSSUpTGhZw

MrBarlow 19th April 2020 09:28 PM

The Freeway Maniac. 1989.

Arthur kills his mum and her boyfriend, he is locked up in a asylum. years later he escapes and comes across a woman, after fending him away, Arthur is recaptured and the woman who is a actress in a new film can't escape Arthur's clutches.

The start of the film may seem familiar, young boy hacking up two grown up people, asylum and escaping. This was a bit of a tongue in cheek parody, the acting isn't star performance and the script does has it's laughs, a orderly asking a patient if he is crazy, then re-tracking the statement. Then you have the sleazy film producer and the actress who do anything to be a star, even doing a strip tease, then you have the killer who manages to find his way onto a film set . These guys who have been locked up for years how do they manage to drive a car and a truck? good for it's laugh and goofs.

Demoncrat 19th April 2020 10:10 PM

Corona Zombies (2020, Charles Band ;):lol:)

AHEM. Exploitation ... it's the name of the game ... and I wanna play the game with youuuuu :rolleyes:
In the finest spirit of that thing we love comes this. Not since Horror Of The Blood Monsters or even, dare I say it Snuff (gulp!), there I said it :lol:, has an assortment of footage been utilized to such good use :laugh:.
Can I just say at this juncture that it's the best I've seen the Mattei film look as well ahem?

I'm sure you are gripped by this review :rolleyes::rolleyes:. Take heart, tis only an hour (ish), so be nice.
The "framing" device of a young lady in distress at only having ... limited supplies to hand is both exploito and informative! ;):nod::lol:
And truly more entertaining than that bloody feline farrago!!!!! :laugh:

Justin101 19th April 2020 10:39 PM

I watched the Child's Play reboot as I noticed it was on Netflix, let's just say, I thought it was going to be bad, but it was actually really fun and I had a great time watching it. Chucky was creepy (although not intimidating) and some of the death set pieces were pretty gruesome! Worth a watch for sure.

:pop2:

Rik 19th April 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 625410)
I watched the Child's Play reboot as I noticed it was on Netflix, let's just say, I thought it was going to be bad, but it was actually really fun and I had a great time watching it. Chucky was creepy (although not intimidating) and some of the death set pieces were pretty gruesome! Worth a watch for sure.

:pop2:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by it myself

MrBarlow 19th April 2020 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drive In Massacre. 1976.

A California drive in theater becomes a slaughter ground for a serial killer.

This may not be the best slasher movie ever made, in the right frame of mind it can be a laugh to watch, not one of my favorite movies but do enjoy going back to it every so often (or in this case every few years). The acting isn't brilliant...except the two police officers doing a steakout in the drive thru. What were the creators trying to do, make a horror or a ninja movie, maybe some serial killer movies can take a leaf from this guy and practice how to be quiet. It may sound daft and seeing the some what fake blood still worth a watch.

Attachment 223916

Nordicdusk 19th April 2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 625413)
Drive In Massacre. 1976.

A California drive in theater becomes a slaughter ground for a serial killer.

This may not be the best slasher movie ever made, in the right frame of mind it can be a laugh to watch, not one of my favorite movies but do enjoy going back to it every so often (or in this case every few years). The acting isn't brilliant...except the to police officers doing a steakout in the drive thru. What were the creators trying to do, make a horror or a ninja movie, maybe some serial killer movies can take a leaf from this guy and practice how to be quiet. It may sound daft and seeing the some what fake blood still worth a watch.

Attachment 223916

Im a big fan of this its great fun the steak out is hilarious :lol::lol:

MrBarlow 20th April 2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 625414)
Im a big fan of this its great fun the steak out is hilarious :lol::lol:

Forgot how funny it was, just about spat out my coffee :pound:

MrBarlow 20th April 2020 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dominique is dead. 1979.

A husband of a rich wife drives his wife to the brink of suicide, only to believe he is being haunted by her ghost.

Nice stylish horror/ thriller starring Cliff Robertson as David who intends to have his wife's money and begins playing mind games with her. Jean Simmons plays the wife Dominique driven to suicide. Simon Ward plays the friend and chauffeur who is drawn into the mystery and if Dominique is actually dead and Jenny Agutter as the half sibling of David. This is full of suspense and very tense moments right up to the end with a nice plotted twist added in this British atmospheric mansion. Recommended.

Demoncrat 20th April 2020 02:41 PM

Return Of The Living Dead (1985, Dan O'Bannon)

"Do you waaannna PARDY??!"
Ahem. A bunch of "punkers" :lol: have more than society's disgust to deal with after one of their number inadvertently causes a chemical spill at work. Still a lot of fun this one. The effects are still effective :rolleyes: and the set pieces are still quite gruesome really.

My Bodyguard (1980, Tony Bill)

Adam Baldwin and Matt Dillon and an incredibly young Joan Cusack (braces even already!) star in this "coming of age" flick. New boy falls foul of the school bully yadda yadda .... befriends kooky girl and towering behemoth (Baldwin looks at least 5 years older than the rest of the cast :laugh::laugh:) to help him get through it all. Martin Mull pops up now and then but Ruth Gordon steals the show as an aging gadabout!!

Vicious Lips (1986, Albert F Pyun)

The strangest "band make it" flick since Leningrad Cowboys Go America. When the Lips (YEAH) need a new singer, no problem, the manager nips down to the local high school talent show and schmoozes an innocent lass into their world weary scene. Space travel sends them literally "to the stars" :pound:
It seems to have been made using two sets. A hoot. :pop2::pop2:

Dave Boy 20th April 2020 03:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
First off a Hammer Films double bill..

Attachment 223922 Attachment 223923
THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (1955) X THE UNKNOWN (1956)

Then taking me into the small hours of this morning..

Attachment 223924
THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1960)

Nostalgic 20th April 2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 625325)
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

This was one of those films I never got round to see and to be honest, I got bored, it seemed forever to get to the cult scenes and to be honest I was disappointed by this. It's definitely one of those, I would have enjoyed it better if I had seen it years ago.

Johnny Be Good

Antony Michael Hall stars as a high school American Football player who is sought after by all the major colleges and we see all the negotiation tactics involved. Robert Downey JR and Uma Thurman co-star (I'm guessing that if this gets a blu ray release, they will be front and center of the cover) it's a very enjoyable film and certainly one that makes you wonder if all these negotiation tactics actually go on.

Dig!

Documentary on The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Johnstown Massacre which focuses on how one band were trying to make a career out of music and the self-destruction either willingly or unintentional. As I am a fan of The Dandy Warhols, I found this quite fascinating.

The Punisher (1989)

This is the Dolph Lundgren version and it's still entertaining after all these years. May give the Thomas Jane version a go as the story changed for the most part.

Just to let you know I am LOVING your 3-at-a-time reviews!!!!
Concise, honest, and reminding me of a few that I loved back in the day. Just one question: How the FOOK do you find the time to watch so many movies? I watched half of The Gate last night, fell asleep & had to get up for work!

I salute you!

Graveyard 20th April 2020 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 223928

Vuelven

A dark fairy tale about a gang of five children trying to survive the horrific violence of the cartels and the ghosts created every day by the drug war.

A beautiful movie, speaking about a huge problem in Mexico without being to violent or to much TV friendly (Yes I'm looking at you Narcos) - Recommend.

Autostop rosso sangue

A bickering couple driving cross-country pick up a murderous hitchhiker who threatens to kill them unless they take him to a sanctuary. In return he agrees to split some bank loot he has on him.

Corinne Cléry that's it - we don't need anything else :lol: Watch the movie.

La nuit des traquées

A woman is taken to a mysterious clinic whose patients have a mental disorder in which their memories and identities are disintegrating as a result of a strange environmental accident.

What happen's when Jean Rollin decides to leave his safe side (vampires) and moves into something different, it looks like he spend to much time reading King and watching Cronenberg in the end, he does a snooze fest - Boring and painful, avoid at all costs.

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin

The potentially unhinged daughter of a British politician is accused of killing her hedonistic neighbour after she witnesses the murder in a dream.

It's funny to see Fulci outside the Zombie/Supernatural universe, on this movie he manage to show some proper skills, spilt screen, De Palma tricks and an interesting story, and of course gore - the scenes with the dogs it's completely hilarious - no reason at all to be there only to show the audience it's a Fulci movie -

nosferatu42 20th April 2020 10:31 PM

I really like Hitch Hike, toptastic mate.:woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2020 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tears of the Sun (2003)

As the end credits rolled for one hot minute i thought the actor Chad Smith playing the character 'Flea' must have been from a parallel universe or some other freaky styley subway to venus.

By the way, if you have to ask, it was a different Chad Smith to the one i was thinking of. I could have lied but no doubt someone would have told me i was warped .

nosferatu42 20th April 2020 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 223930

Chad, is this the guy...

nosferatu42 20th April 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 625463)
Tears of the Sun (2003)

As the end credits rolled for one hot minute i thought the actor Chad Smith playing the character 'Flea' must have been from a parallel universe or some other freaky styley subway to venus.

By the way, if you have to ask, it was a different Chad Smith to the one i was thinking of. I could have lied but no doubt someone would have told me i was warped .

You're warped Dem a low down dirty dog i said..... boy.

:behindsofa:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 625467)
Attachment 223930

Chad, is this the guy...

I think you've had plenty of beer, it's Monday night after all.

nicholasrope 20th April 2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 625442)
Just to let you know I am LOVING your 3-at-a-time reviews!!!!
Concise, honest, and reminding me of a few that I loved back in the day. Just one question: How the FOOK do you find the time to watch so many movies? I watched half of The Gate last night, fell asleep & had to get up for work!

I salute you!

Thank you

I'm presently on furlough (hopefully not for much longer) I love movies and I live alone. TBH, I have films that I haven't seen in a while or not at all so the only advantage this furlough has is the fact I can catch up.

While some of the films are long, some of them are around 80-100 minutes so not as time consuming.

Films these days are way too long

nosferatu42 20th April 2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 625469)
I think you've had plenty of beer, it's Monday night after all.

I was trying to be good but eventually got swayed by the looming apocalypse,
so thought **** it.:pop2:

nicholasrope 20th April 2020 11:06 PM

Bloodfist II, Gung Ho & The Punisher (2004)

3 Attachment(s)
Bloodfist II

Don Wilson is back using the same character name from the original but this appears to be completely unrelated as this a couple of actors also re-appear but under new roles. Anyway Wilson is a retired Kickboxer who is lured to Manilla where he and other Martial Artists are kidnapped and forced to fight the bad guy's henchmen who are under a new type of Steroid in order to demonstrate the new drug to potential customers. If you like these type of films then give it a go.

Gung Ho

Michael Keaton stars in this 1986 Ron Howard Comedy where he plays a liaison between his co-workers and the Japanese employers who re-opened a car manufacturing plant. American and Japanese culture clash in this very entertaining and what appears to be an unappreciated and/or forgotten gem from The 80's

The Punisher (2004)

Tom Jane is Frank Castle and John Travolta is the villain who ordered the massacre of his family. I really forgot what an entertaining movie this is and other than the premise, different from the Dolph Lundgren 1989 film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st April 2020 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Evil Dead II (1987)

We are what was, and shall rule again
Dead by dawn, chanting death thee ancient hymn
This is not real, I am not the chosen one
Trapped in a spell of the Necronomicon

Dead by dawn, dead by dawn, dead by dawn
Dead, By, Yawn

I'm afraid i don't have the same love for Evil Dead II as i have for The Evil Dead and follow up Army of Darkness. Although the effects are great the whole thing is just far too slapstick silly. It doesn't work (for me) as a horror film nor a comedy.

It is a film i've seen numerous times so it does draw me back every so often but i always leave with the same slightly disappointed feeling.

Deadite 21st April 2020 01:14 PM

You summoned me. Now what?

:axekiller:

Dave Boy 21st April 2020 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 223941
FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS (1938)
UNIVERSAL SERIAL 15 CHAPTERS

Ming The Merciless joins forces with planet Mars Queen Azura to use a powerful ray to destroy the Earth's atmosphere.
Flash, Dale, Zarkov and reporter Happy Hapgood head off to Mars to stop the threat..

Although not matching the highs of the first serial this is really good entertainment.
Much of the soundtrack used is from Universal's Bride Of Frankenstein and The Invisible Man.

MrBarlow 21st April 2020 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Robot-Monster. 1953

The last surviving family on earth are in the path of annihilation from Ro-Man.

Silly cheesy B movie that does start of good, then becomes confusing with a dream sequence to the monster coming out of a cave, with the body of a gorilla and a spaceman's helmet for a head. Listed as a Amusingly bad ridiculous monster movie, it does have it's moments where you can only laugh, even though the director did try to kill himself after the film's release.

Attachment 223944

Attack of the crab monsters. 1957.

Scientists on a remote island become prey to giant intelligent crabs.

This is one that radiation has to blame, this one was decent with the actors try their best to seem like it's possible to be attacked by giant crabs even though it was done on a low budget. The cinematography was done good with the close ups and trying to make everything look big. One of Roger Corman's least talked about films before he meet the brilliant Vincent Price.

Attachment 223945

nicholasrope 21st April 2020 10:34 PM

Hidden Tiger, Electric Boogaloo (Cannon Films Documentary) & Death Sentence

3 Attachment(s)
Hidden Tiger

Billy Blanks fight film where he's a Karate Teacher who teams up with a Japanese trainer in order to get revenge on the drugs gang who shot one of his students. They do this by entering an underground fighting tournament run by the gang's leader. Got all the usual clichés, training montages that sort of thing but that's what you want from these type of movies. Released in 1996 this was released under a previous title Balance Of Power but in the UK, it was given the title Hidden Tiger (To capitalize on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) I'd say this was the last of this type of fight film (As in they know what they are supposed to be and just get on with what we want to see) because modern straight to DVD fight films, I'd say don't contain many fight scenes just the main character going through an emotional crisis and other problems.

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story Of Cannon FilmsThis is an absolutely fascinating and massively entertaining documentary on how 2 Cousins made Cannon Films into what it was. Featuring interviews from people who were in involved with making and/or starring in films made by Cannon, it was just crazy. In fact, I bought Life Force because of this documentary and whilst I haven't seen it yet, It's on my playlist. Also I bet working in a Cinema when both Lambada movies came it on the same day was awfully fun.

Death Sentence

Kevin Bacon becomes a vigilante when a gang murder his family. I saw this at the cinema and this was the first time since and other than a couple of scenes that I remember, it was like watching it for the first time and it was an enjoyable experience. Quite bloody in places too.

Oh by the way this film is 13 years old.

MrBarlow 21st April 2020 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fangs of the living dead (aka Malenka) 1969.

A young woman inherits a castle, the inhabitants, a noble man and a young women tell her of her ancestor Malenka who was killed for being a vampire.

This was a mixture of vampirism mixed with a dash of black magic in a creepy looking castle, perfect set for a old 17th Italian/Spanish horror film. The acting was good even Anita Ekberg plays the young innocent Sylvia who is told of her bloodline and must stay to to carry it on. The dubbing may seem out of place in some scenes and may be forgivable. Even though the castle is well light it doesn't give off the gothic vibe but does have it's tense moments and suspense.

Attachment 223949

MrBarlow 22nd April 2020 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spasms. 1983.

A British millionaire Jason Kincaid and a American scientist Tom Brasilian form a unlikely alliance when a giant serpent from a remote island is sent to a university to be studied and breaks free.

This could have had potential with the stars of Peter Fonda and Oliver Reed as the unlikely duo, one a who spent money capturing the snake and the other a psychologist...I think, and a weird psychic link to the snake with plenty of POV shots. However the budget was low that the studio ran out of money before the film could be finished and all seemed rushed. There is quick shots of the snake as it attacks, then to the finale that doesn't make sense as the snake's head seems to be way too big for its's thin body. Cheesy 80s horror are your thing, check it out.

Attachment 223950

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd April 2020 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Another masterpiece from Peter Weir in which he coaxes great performances out of Russell Crowe and especially Paul Bettany.

Master and Commander isn't a warts and all cliche driven naval warfare film, it's a study of comradeship at sea helped by a fine support cast in particular Lee Ingleby as a seemingly Jonah hexed tragic midshipman and the unknown fifteen year old Max Pirkis as a fellow midshipman, brave beyond his tender years.

Whilst the film sports some tremendous sea battle sequences it's the humanity that Weir and the actors enliven the film with that makes it stand out, scenes on the Galapagos Islands and especially round the captains dinner table where there's some genuinely funny dialogue bring a warmth to events that usually have the viewer champing at the bit for the next sea battle. Meanwhile the last scene has you desperately clamouring for more.

It's depressing when there's something like 300 Marvel films yet no sequel to this cinematic triumph.

Deadite 22nd April 2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 625571)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Another masterpiece from Peter Weir in which he coaxes great performances out of Russell Crowe and especially Paul Bettany.

Master and Commander isn't a warts and all cliche driven naval warfare film, it's a study of comradeship at sea helped by a fine support cast in particular Lee Ingleby as a seemingly Jonah hexed tragic midshipman and the unknown fifteen year old Max Pirkis as a fellow midshipman, brave beyond his tender years.

Whilst the film sports some tremendous sea battle sequences it's the humanity that Weir and the actors enliven the film with that makes it stand out, scenes on the Galapagos Islands and especially round the captains dinner table where there's some genuinely funny dialogue bring a warmth to events that usually have the viewer champing at the bit for the next sea battle. Meanwhile the last scene has you desperately clamouring for more.

It's depressing when there's something like 300 Marvel films yet no sequel to this cinematic triumph.

The lesser of two weevils.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd April 2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 625574)
The lesser of two weevils.

It's brilliant that one. When you haven't seen the film for years like myself, i'd forgotten that. It really cracked me up.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd April 2020 06:17 PM

Crime Story (1993) ★★★★

Quote:

A special agent assigned to protect a wealthy business magnate. However, when the businessman is kidnapped in a daring ambush, he teams up with a seasoned detective to crack the case. But soon he discovers the case isn’t that simple.
This is a very well constructed and extremely enjoyable Jackie Chan movie, one concentrating on corruption within the police force and a criminal organisation using kidnap to extort vast sums of money.

It is a film with a solid story, coherent narrative, fairly well developed characters, and the typically brilliant and wince inducing action sequences and stunts you'd expect from a Jackie Chan-led film from this period.

I really enjoyed the film with the Cantonese track and will watch again with the English dub to see how that stands up.

There's a very good commentary on the 88 Films Blu-ray release by Hong Kong filmmakers Arne Venema and Mike Leeder. I thoroughly recommend it to all fans of Hong Kong cinema and Jackie Chan films.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd April 2020 06:51 PM

Happy Death Day (2017) ★★★½

Quote:

Caught in a bizarre and terrifying time warp, college student Tree finds herself repeatedly reliving the day of her murder, ultimately realizing that she must identify the killer and the reason for her death before her chances of survival run out.
Scream + Groundhog Day = Happy Death Day

This could be my favourable Blumhouse production – it's a smart and fun high concept film with decent performances and energetic direction which stands up to a second viewing very well.

Brüno (2009) ★★½

Quote:

Flamboyantly gay Austrian television reporter Bruno stirs up trouble with unsuspecting guests and large crowds through brutally frank interviews and painfully hilarious public displays of homosexuality.
Borat has aged well; this hasn't. The stereotypes which Sasha Baron Cohen's Kazak reporter uncovered are not so evident here.

Like Borat, Brüno is an offensive character, but sadly Baron Cohen doesn't manage to use the character as effectively as either Borat or Ali G when exposing the petty prejudices of the interview subjects.

I watched this again with the enhanced commentary track with Sasha Baron and Larry Charles, a very interesting device which occasionally had picture in picture footage of the two men as they spoke about the film and how it was made.

What makes this unusual is that quite often Baron Cohen would pause the film and give more information about a particular scene or that box would have behind-the-scenes footage/still photos; in this sense there was no rush to talk and they could take their time; it made the commentary more revealing and interesting watch then the film itself.

Highly recommended.

Cloud Atlas (2012) ★★★★

Quote:

A set of six nested stories spanning time between the 19th century and a distant post-apocalyptic future. Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future. Based on the award winning novel by David Mitchell. Directed by Tom Tykwer and the Wachowskis.
This is a sprawling and ambitious film by the Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer, one which looks and sounds amazing and confusing the hell out of me the first time I saw it. This second viewing gives it a great deal more coherence and left me wanting to watch it again. It's a film where, whatever you think of the story/stories, the AV aspects cannot be faulted.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd April 2020 07:06 PM

The Haunting in Connecticut (2009) ★★★½

Quote:

When the Campbell family moves to upstate Connecticut, they soon learn that their charming Victorian home has a disturbing history: not only was the house a transformed funeral parlor where inconceivable acts occurred, but the owner’s clairvoyant son Jonah served as a demonic messenger, providing a gateway for spiritual entities to crossover.
A solid and occasionally stylish horror movie with some fairly intense scenes, but one which is mostly forgettable. It's a film with some promise and an engaging storyline, a very good performance from Virginia Madsen, and is very watchable, though never reaches the heights of genre classics like The Haunting (1963), The Innocents (1963) and The Shining (1980).

Suffragette 2015 ★★★★

Quote:

Based on true events about the foot soldiers of the early feminist movement who were forced underground to evade the State.
Using a composite character (Carey Mulligan) as the cipher through which the story is told, Suffragette cleverly shows the sociopolitical conditions which led many women to carry out criminal acts, from criminal damage to arson and the toll this took on their bodies, minds, and families.

When I saw it at the cinema, I was extremely impressed by the writing, the direction, the period design and the performances from the cast led by Carey Mulligan, Anne-Marie Duff, Helena Bonham Carter, Ben Wishaw, Brendan Gleeson, and a very well judged cameo from Meryl Streep as Emmeline Pankhurst.

It struck me as an important story of female suffrage and one which seemed topical in light of the Saudi Arabian decision to allow some women to vote, albeit with men driving them to the polling station, and it still seems like a very well judged story and relatable film about a turbulent and influential period of British history.