Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Justin101 5th July 2020 08:35 PM

American Ninja 2

I need a cold shower, Michael Dudikoff's thighs in that beach scene with the wet suit on haha :loveeyes: :loveeyes:

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content...024244.876.jpg

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content...eads-beach.jpg

iank 5th July 2020 09:27 PM

Night of the Comet. Two Valley Girls wake up one morning after a cosmic lightshow caused by a passing comet to find they're the only people left alive on Earth... maybe. This cult classic mid 80s tongue in cheek sci-fi horror is still a lot of fun! :nod:

MrBarlow 5th July 2020 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Grudge. 2020.

A young detective moves to Pennsylvania with her son, and her first job deals with a body in a car that's related to house where a woman murdered her husband and daughter and soon uncovers the house's mystery and tries to stop it before it takes control of her .

The setting for the plot takes between the first and second Grudge remake films and does go back and forth which may be confusing and does become a slow burner, aside from having a good number of recognizable actors in this i felt it didn't do much justice to the film. There is some good make up effects used and a lot of dark light which can be strain on the eyes at times and few jump scares. but it's

Attachment 225934 :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th July 2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 629861)
Wer. 2013.

An American lawyer living in France is tasked to defend a man accused of attacking a family on vacation, with the help of two friends one a investigator and a animal expert slowly uncover the truth of her client.

I think after Twilight the Werewolf movies were seen to drop off then came this film that made Werewolves movie come back to the horror genre, this may seem low budget and at times looks like a POV movie don't let that put you off, this movie surprised me at how good it was. A.J. Cook plays Kate who is the defendant of Talan (Brian Scott O'Connor)a Romanian who emigrated to France with his mother and father but may have a genetic disorder that explains his height and bone structure.

The film does start off a bit slow after the family attack and does get better, even though the killings are off screen (except one killing) we do see the after effect of the attacks, the suspense and tension is built up well even at the end it was played out well with different new reports. Recommended.

Attachment 225929

An excellent film, and no it doesn't start off a bit slow. :lol:

gag 5th July 2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 629868)
The Grudge. 2020.

A young detective moves to Pennsylvania with her son, and her first job deals with a body in a car that's related to house where a woman murdered her husband and daughter and soon uncovers the house's mystery and tries to stop it before it takes control of her .

The setting for the plot takes between the first and second Grudge remake films and does go back and forth which may be confusing and does become a slow burner, aside from having a good number of recognizable actors in this i felt it didn't do much justice to the film. There is some good make up effects used and a lot of dark light which can be strain on the eyes at times and few jump scares. but it's

Attachment 225934 :lol:

There a 6 part 30min episodes JU ON series on Netflix, I googled reviews and they are pretty decent, I'm on episode 4 it's good but a slow burner, it doesn't rely on jump scare either.

SymbioticFunction 6th July 2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 629850)
I feel after first 3 4 films of any franchise their just cashing in on them after that and most times it's not in a good way.

What's weird about the Terminator franchise is that films 4-6 have all performed badly and for each of those, the rights were owned by different people who had planned to make a trilogy. Then those films pretty much bombed and lost a lot of money. I should imagine that this is the end for the film franchise. Surely three strikes and out?

MrBarlow 6th July 2020 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fantasy Island. 2020.

A group of people arrive on a island hoping to live out their fantasies only for them to chaos.

I wasn't expecting much from this and had little hopes but it does have its moments where they can be funny, entertaining and plot twists in near every corner. Michael Pena plays the exclusive island owner Mr Roarke who grants people one fantasy with some repercussions along the way, and does have some suttle hints from the T.V. show, this may not be for everyone, i would give it another re-watch.

Attachment 225944

pedromonkey 6th July 2020 01:52 AM

Showed my Brother LIFEFORCE the other day for the first time, I bloody love that film, he enjoyed it but found some flaws and my reaction was "yes it's flawed but it's a hell of a lot of fun". He agreed.

UPGRADE
Cracking Cyberpunk action thriller from Leigh Whannel. Good action and a good gut punch finish that you don't really expect. Felt like an 80s Carpenter movie at times.

RAW DEAL
Absolutely hilariously bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movie with some truly horrendous dialogue. Still, it's a lot of fun but a definite minor Arnie flick

FROZEN 2
Stunning animation and some ok songs. Not as good as the first one but still a very good film. Only reason I was keeping Disney+ after Star Wars Ep 9.

Dave Boy 6th July 2020 02:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 225961Attachment 225962Attachment 225963
BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE (2016) Extended cut

Just calling this movie 'Dawn Of Justice' would have been so much better.
A lot of people are split on this movie. Good/bad? Martha moment?
I like it.
What I really like is that at the start we see the devastation effects on innocent people when heroes bring buildings crashing down. In 'Man Of Steel', Superman really did cause much destruction and death in his fight with Zodd.
I think we could have done with one more standalone Superman movie before this one though. I feel it was a rush to get the heroes together for The Justice League because Marvel were flying high with The Avengers.

MrBarlow 6th July 2020 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bad Boys. 1995.

Two Miami detectives, Burnett and Lowry protect a witness to a killing and investigate a case of stolen heroin from their precinct.

Right from the start you know this ids gonna be a good comedy action movie Martin Lawrence and Will Smith with their verbal ping pong at each other for a distraction works out while being car jacked then swapping roles and trying to make up stuff in front of witness Tea Leoni. It is well scripted, directed and acting is top notch.

It does have great cinematography which is something you would expect from a Michael Bay movie as it does seem captured a lot of Miami even as the plane flies over the sign perfectly and with a good soundtrack. Tcheky Karyo plays the bad guy Fouchet perfectly manages to act as the sinister drug dealer with anger issues. one of the best buddy cops along with Lethal Weapon.

Attachment 225964

bleakshaun 6th July 2020 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Viewings over the past month and a bit
Attachment 225967

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

nicholasrope 6th July 2020 09:35 PM

Little Shop Of Horrors, What We Did On Our Holiday & Licence To Kill

3 Attachment(s)
Little Shop Of Horrors

A entertaining film with Steve Martin stealing the show as the sadistic Dentist even though Bill Murray certainly runs him close as the pain loving patient.

I'm pretty sure that I heard that there was a possible remake in the works, if that was true, I do wonder if they will remove the domestic violence aspect.

What We Did On Our Holiday

David Tennant and Rosamund Pike take their kids on a family vacation to Scotland for Billy Connelly's Birthday, when they arrive they meet up with Ben Miller's family and the kids keep on exacerbating the adults by blurting out family secrets and picking apart any answers to any questions they ask and they do this with youthful innocence.

This is one of my favorite Comedy movies ever, it is so funny, great acting from everybody especially the faces the adults pull when the children land them in it are sublime and the scene where the children explain to Tennant, Pike and Miller what happened on the beach is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Saw this film at the cinema one day and Gone Girl the next and it was certainly weird seeing Rosamund Pike in 2 different type of roles/

Can't recommend this highly enough.

Licence To Kill

Timothy Dalton is back as James Bond who goes rogue to avenge the attack on his friend. It had a good start but I felt it lost it's way near the end.

One thing I didn't get is that Bond seemed ok that he was shot at by is then former employers, I thought that it might have been brought up later on.

Also Timothy Dalton doesn't strike me as an Action hero, for me he's more brains than brawn.

Dave Boy 7th July 2020 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 225972
IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955)

Ray Harryhausen joins forces with producer Charles Schneer and together they cause mayhem with a giant Octopus, destroying The Golden Gate Bridge in the finale.

Attachment 225973
BAY OF BLOOD (1971)

Had not watched this movie in absolutely ages.
Good to see this one again and the deaths still look good.
The movie where everyone kills everyone ha ha!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th July 2020 03:32 PM

Oldboy (2003) ★★★★★

Oldboy is one of those films that blew me away the first time I saw it, a film that got its hooks in the early and didn't let go. The brilliant story, audacious visuals, brilliant performances, and the ending which left me wanting to watch it again, immediately afterwards has made it a firm favourite of mine and a film I've bought several times since I first bought a DVD back in 2004.

There was a time, probably 2006, when I watched it with the three commentary tracks and that's something I want to do again because of how much time has elapsed and how much information I've probably forgotten.

Choi Min-sik gives a performance for the ages as Oh Dae-su, a businessman who is kidnapped from outside a phone box and kept prisoner for 15 years before being released without any explanation about why he is incarcerated or who is behind his imprisonment.

Bizarrely released from inside a suitcase on a rooftop, he befriends a young woman who works in a sushi restaurant, a location where he goes to eat something alive, chewing his way through most of a live squid before passing out, awaking in the sushi chef's apartment, then embarking on a mission to discover who kept it locked up for 15 years, killing his wife and framing him for the murder, and the reason for such an elaborate and curious punishment.

I suppose I was fortunate that this was the second film by Park Chan-wook I saw and bought it because I'd seen Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, a film I recorded when it was televised late one night on Channel 4 and stunned me with its audacious plotting and extreme violence. I don't think it's essential to watch his 'vengeance Trilogy" In chronological order, but it can't hurt either!

Even though no viewing of this film will be like the first – it's the same with anything which has a major reveal in the third act – there's not just one thing about this which makes it such a great film and one I have seen countless times and have recently bought for the fifth time. It's a combination of the intense performances, compelling story, and visual flair which makes it such a masterpiece and a film I'll probably never tire of watching.

Dave Boy 7th July 2020 03:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 225989 Attachment 225990
HERCULES (1958) HERCULES UNCHAINED (1959)

Excellent casting of Steve Reeves in his two Hercules movies.
HERCULES sees the hero meet with Princess Iole (Sylva Koscina), and before long he joins Jason on the ship Argo to find the Golden Fleece.
HERCULES UNCHAINED takes place a few months after the first movie.
Hercules, Princess Iole and Ulysses leave the Argo and travel to Thebes.
While trying to sort out a quarrel between two brothers as the ruler of Thebes, Hercules looses his memory and falls in to the clutches of Queen Omphale..
Enjoyable, colourful and action packed sword and Sandal movies.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/V6gAA...v1U/s-l400.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th July 2020 03:58 PM

Usual question, Dave. Are those available on dvd?

You could have fifty Steve Reeves types dressed in thongs and i'd only notice Sylva Koscina. :woot:

Dave Boy 7th July 2020 06:37 PM

There are various DVDs of both titles. Unfortunately they are along the public domain Alpha video type releases and so picture quality and ratio are lacking.
There are some nice widescreen versions on youtube but no idea where they are taken from.

Yeah.. Sylva Koscina. "sigh"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th July 2020 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mermaid: Lake of the Dead (2018) ★★★

Quote:

An evil Mermaid falls in love with Marina's fiancé Roman and aims to keep him away from Marina in her Kingdom of Death under water. The Mermaid is a young woman who drowned a few centuries ago. Marina only has one week to overcome her fear of the dark water, to remain human in the deathly fight with the monsters and not to become one herself.
This reminded me a lot of Ring, but that's not necessarily a negative. The titular Mermaid is more of a revenge spirit, a being which is not confined to water so there are some scenes with a decent amount of suspense and some reasonably effective jump scares.

There is quite a lot of the film which feels generic and there are some familiar tropes. As I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, the visual effects and underwater photography was surprisingly convincing.

All in all, it's a very passable genre film. The DVD cost £3.49 from HMV – average isn't always a pejorative!

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th July 2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 629987)
There are various DVDs of both titles. Unfortunately they are along the public domain Alpha video type releases and so picture quality and ratio are lacking.
There are some nice widescreen versions on youtube but no idea where they are taken from.

Yeah.. Sylva Koscina. "sigh"

Did you watch them on Youtube?

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th July 2020 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forever Lulu (2006)

Patrick Swayze and Melanie Griffith star in this drama about two former lovers who end up on a road trip together searching for their son who Lulu (Griffith) gave up sixteen years ago, and Swayze never even knew he had a son.

One of those movies that turned out totally different to what i was expecting. I was thinking this would be along the lines of other Melanie Griffith road movies Crazy in Alabama (1999) and Another Day in Paradise (1998), you know, drugs, violence, sex, more violence, that sort of thing, however Forever Lulu is a totally different beast showing a vulnerable woman dealing with mental illness and regret over losing her son all those years ago during the course of a road trip.

Whilst parts of the film don't work as well as they could i found the last reels to be beautifully poignant, heartfelt and finally uplifting. Both Griffith and Swayze are good as is Penelope Ann Miller in the thankless role of Swayze's left behind current wife.

Dave Boy 8th July 2020 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 629994)
Did you watch them on Youtube?

Yes Dem, as unfortunately it seems to be the best place to watch them at the moment.

Attachment 225995
EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956)

Ray Harryhausen's flying saucers attack the major cities of the world and it's Washington where we see most of the destruction.
It's incredible that every piece of falling building had to be animated frame by frame by Ray.

MrBarlow 8th July 2020 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bad Boys II. 2003.

Detectives Mike Lawry and Marcus Burnett return to follow the lead of Ectasy tablets from Florida to a Cuban drug lord.

You don't need to like the actors but there is plenty of action in this to enjoy from a KKK rally to seeing a cop getting shot in the ass and never hear the end of it, a road rage car chase with DEA agents and cars flying of a lorry transport and a Porche getting shot at from the inside and a explosive finale.

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence return with Joe Pantoliano as the cheif he seems to take a calmer approach to express his anger which at times doesn't work, Micheal Bay returns to the directors chair with another good background score and great cinematography. Top notch sequel. WOOSAH.

Attachment 226004

Justin101 8th July 2020 01:40 PM

I enjoyed some comfort viewing last night...

https://karavansara.files.wordpress....mon6.jpg?w=611

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th July 2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 630018)
I enjoyed some comfort viewing last night...

https://karavansara.files.wordpress....mon6.jpg?w=611

How the hell does reading runic symbols that predict the reader will die in three days time become comfort viewing?

Haha, only joking, Night of or Curse of, Justin?

Justin101 8th July 2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 630020)
How the hell does reading runic symbols that predict the reader will die in three days time become comfort viewing?

Haha, only joking, Night of or Curse of, Justin?

:lol: :axekiller:

Curse, I watched Night last time, there is very little difference to be honest just the amount of introduction during the Stonehenge scene. It was the pre-release version anyway, I thought I was watching the 82 min version but that's on the other disc :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th July 2020 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This Island Earth (1955)

To me this is one of the most disappointing sci-fi movies ever. The iconic alien had less than thirty seconds screen time. It's a superb creature design but it feels as if the film makers had no confidence in it.

It doesn't appear until the final ten minutes and the rest of the film is a talky affair with little action centered around a wooden performance from star Rex Reason.

MrBarlow 8th July 2020 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bad Boys For Life. 2020.

Detective Mile Lawry has a hit on him from someone who holds a grudge against him and asks his partner Marcus Burnett to hold off retirement for one last ride.

This one does have the comedy, action as well as some drama thrown into the mix, Will and Martin are thrown into the action when a hit is put on Mike and Marcus having a family crisis, teaming up with a new new unit, Micheal Bay steps down from directing this but does have a small (blink and miss it) cameo role. I wouldn't say this was the greatest instalment of the franchise but definitely not the worse, like the previous films it does have good cinematography and more suspense and tension added in. Worth a watch.

Attachment 226009

nicholasrope 8th July 2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 630011)
Bad Boys II. 2003.

Detectives Mike Lawry and Marcus Burnett return to follow the lead of Ectasy tablets from Florida to a Cuban drug lord.

You don't need to like the actors but there is plenty of action in this to enjoy from a KKK rally to seeing a cop getting shot in the ass and never hear the end of it, a road rage car chase with DEA agents and cars flying of a lorry transport and a Porche getting shot at from the inside and a explosive finale.

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence return with Joe Pantoliano as the cheif he seems to take a calmer approach to express his anger which at times doesn't work, Micheal Bay returns to the directors chair with another good background score and great cinematography. Top notch sequel. WOOSAH.

Attachment 226004

I agree with you but I felt that it was too long, 2hr 20mins is too long for a Action movie

nicholasrope 8th July 2020 08:27 PM

Caddyshack II, Pretty In Pink & K-9

3 Attachment(s)
Caddyshack II

Sequel to the 1980 Comedy in which a grass roots new-money tycoon's membership application is turned down at a snooty country club, he retaliates by buying the club and turning it into a tacky amusement park however when the members use their influence to get his business in trouble, a winner takes all game of Golf is played.

Chevy Chase is the only returning face from the original however this is a very decent effort. It's always good to see snobs getting a taste of their own medicine but having the good guy's Daughter explain that turning the Golf Course into a theme park isn't a good thing either is a nice touch.

Pretty In Pink

Another classic John Hughes film in which Molly Ringwald is a poor girl that must choose between the affections of dating her childhood friend played by Jon Cryer or a rich but sensitive teenager played by Andrew McCarthy. James Spader plays the rich douchebag who can't handle rejection. This is very good that contains one of my favorite movie songs of all time.

K-9

James Belushi is the Cop who gets a German Sheppard to assist him capture a Drug Dealer. All the obvious shenanigans regarding the battle of wills between Belushi and Dog are very but it's a very enjoyable film.

Justin101 8th July 2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 630048)

Pretty In Pink

Another classic John Hughes film in which Molly Ringwald is a poor girl that must choose between the affections of dating her childhood friend played by Jon Cryer or a rich but sensitive teenager played by Andrew McCarthy. James Spader plays the rich douchebag who can't handle rejection. This is very good that contains one of my favorite movie songs of all time.

She should have picked Duckie :( Even so, great film :D

trebor8273 8th July 2020 09:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgC9Q0uhX70

Michael Keaton IS Batman whom sets out to clean up Gotham, but things hit a snag when the Joker is born after mobster Jack Napier falls into a chemical vat. Burtons gothic Gotham has never looked better and is the definite Gotham . 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Too3qgNaYBE

A sequel that's better than the original and easily the best Batman film . This time Bruce has to deal with the Penguin (Danny Devito) and Michelle Pfeiffer in that outfit as Catwomen. A great superhero movie and Christmas movie. 10/10

Now watching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8I-Qzmbqnc

MrBarlow 8th July 2020 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On Deadly Ground. 1994.

A environmental agent who works for a oil company Aegis in Alaska uncovers corruption steps in to help the locals who try to get their land back.

Steven Seagal's directing (and only) debut in this feature plays Forrest Taft fire and explosive preventer for the oil company Aegis headed by ruthless Micheal Caine who is great as always in this action packed film. John C. McGinley and Sven-Ole Thorsen plays Caine's heavies who seem to like to inflict pain on others. R. Lee Emery plays the leader of the task force paid to hunt Taft but unsure who they are up against.

This is your typical Seagal film where he is a ex something with a closed background, plenty gun fire towards the end and a bar fight where he sticks up for someone helpless, This isn't my favourite film from the action star but not the worst either.

Attachment 226015

Dave Boy 9th July 2020 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 226016
THE WAY OF THE DRAGON (1972)

Bruce Lee comes to the aid of his family when their restaurant business is threatened by mobsters who want the land the building is on.
Mixture of fighting with some comedy moments in this entertaining movie directed and written by Lee.

MrBarlow 9th July 2020 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nighthawks. 1981.

Deke DaSilva and Mathew Fox, two New York detectives transferred to a new division that deals with Anti-Terrorism while a international terrorist known as Wulfgar shows up to cause havoc and panic.

Even though Sly Stallone has top billing it's Rutger Hauer that steals the show as terrorist Wulfgar, who teams up with extremist Shakka, who has no conscience and doesn't blink while pulling a trigger. Nigel Davenport plays Peter Hartman who put the team together and tries to get into everyone's heads and gets them to think like the enemy.

The film does start off with a bang as the two detectives go undercover and Wulfgar in London targeting his next operation, there is somehow so much build up and yet not enough execution, as it does seem to be cat and mouse chase with mind games getting played, with that aside the acting is top notch with some tense moments.

Attachment 226036

trebor8273 9th July 2020 07:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8I-Qzmbqnc

After Ellie's boyfriend dumps her as he wants to goto law school and later become a senator but thinks she's just a dumb blond and not the type of wife he should have, so she decides to get Harvard and win him back, but she has to but up with people's pre conceptions about her . A great feel good movie which works thanks to Reese Witherspoons likable performances. 8/10

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS0KyTZ3Ie4

MrBarlow 9th July 2020 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Gauntlet. 1977.

Alcoholic and mediocre Detective Shockley has to escort a woman prisoner from Las Vegas to Phoenix so she can testify at a mob boss trial, along the way they face obstacles in their path.

This may not be the best film for Clint to star in but he made a good effort in it, I always thought this should have been a Dirty Harry film at times (not to typecast Clint, love Dirty Harry films). Here he is escorting prostitute Gus Malley played by Sondra Locke who doesn't seem pleased about testifying against a big mob boss with connections.

The story does seem to be stupid and has some flaws in it but it has the big guy in it and it is a guilty pleasure, how can a guy in a helicopter with a sniper rifle miss a target on a motorbike or why didn't they shoot the wheels on the bus? It has plenty of gun fights and some good comedy thrown in for the entertainment.

Attachment 226037

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th July 2020 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Reptile (1966)

A Cornish village is terrorized by a horrifying series of events that locals say are the work of a creature part reptile and part woman. Dr Franklyn (Noel Willman) and his daughter Anna, recently back from Borneo are eyed with suspicion by the locals.

The Reptile is the second of director John Gilling's Cornish classics, it dovetails nicely with the far superior Plague of the Zombies as it uses the same sets and has a similar grim atmosphere. The sets created by Bernard Robinson at Bray Studios for the two films are terrific and my favourite Hammer village sets of the companies entire output.

The film does have a brooding atmosphere which you can cut with a knife and the feeling of inevitability that Franklyn will die at the hands of his daughter is always in the air. Although the film is classed as a mystery its obvious from the start who the Reptile is as Anna is the only possible culprit due to the fact she is the only female in the film present at the time of the earlier attacks.

Legendary Hammer bit part actor Michael Ripper has a main role in The Reptile and its wonderful to see him able to get his teeth into material rather than just his normal fleeting appearances.

The rest of the acting is decent enough but the characters are fairly unmemorable and the film does lack star power, perhaps the film would have benefited from one of its big name stars in the role of Dr. Franklyn.

The main discussion point of The Reptile and the reason it is fondly remembered is its monster - a snake woman, played by Jacqueline Pearce. Whilst the menace could easily have seemed laughable, Pearce's performance as Anna and the creature is quite disturbing. The Reptile itself is a great looking creation, even elegant in some respects, and great credit should be given to make up artist Roy Ashton who does sterling work on a tiny budget. The snake bites are effectively nasty and well realised with the victims features blackening from the venom and foaming from the mouth.

The main problem with The Reptile is that it has stretches which are quite dull but we also are treated to a typical Hammer fiery finale yet the best scene involves Pearce playing a sitar after a meal, the looks between her and Willman become almost sexualised as Pearce's playing becomes faster, more frantic, even orgasmic. It's a tremendous piece of Hammer cinema which is usually overlooked by many but i think it's terrific.

MrBarlow 9th July 2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 630127)
The Reptile (1966)

A Cornish village is terrorized by a horrifying series of events that locals say are the work of a creature part reptile and part woman. Dr Franklyn (Noel Willman) and his daughter Anna, recently back from Borneo are eyed with suspicion by the locals.

The Reptile is the second of director John Gilling's Cornish classics, it dovetails nicely with the far superior Plague of the Zombies as it uses the same sets and has a similar grim atmosphere. The sets created by Bernard Robinson at Bray Studios for the two films are terrific and my favourite Hammer village sets of the companies entire output.

The film does have a brooding atmosphere which you can cut with a knife and the feeling of inevitability that Franklyn will die at the hands of his daughter is always in the air. Although the film is classed as a mystery its obvious from the start who the Reptile is as Anna is the only possible culprit due to the fact she is the only female in the film present at the time of the earlier attacks.

Legendary Hammer bit part actor Michael Ripper has a main role in The Reptile and its wonderful to see him able to get his teeth into material rather than just his normal fleeting appearances.

The rest of the acting is decent enough but the characters are fairly unmemorable and the film does lack star power, perhaps the film would have benefited from one of its big name stars in the role of Dr. Franklyn.

The main discussion point of The Reptile and the reason it is fondly remembered is its monster - a snake woman, played by Jacqueline Pearce. Whilst the menace could easily have seemed laughable, Pearce's performance as Anna and the creature is quite disturbing. The Reptile itself is a great looking creation, even elegant in some respects, and great credit should be given to make up artist Roy Ashton who does sterling work on a tiny budget. The snake bites are effectively nasty and well realised with the victims features blackening from the venom and foaming from the mouth.

The main problem with The Reptile is that it has stretches which are quite dull but we also are treated to a typical Hammer fiery finale yet the best scene involves Pearce playing a sitar after a meal, the looks between her and Willman become almost sexualised as Pearce's playing becomes faster, more frantic, even orgasmic. It's a tremendous piece of Hammer cinema which is usually overlooked by many but i think it's terrific.

Another underrated classic, that never gets boring, with every viewing it gets better and better, your right about the sitar scene it is very captivating to watch.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th July 2020 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fascination (1979)

Damn!

Too bad Jean Rollin never did any other films rich in striking imagery about sexy lesbian vampires, because I'd love to see more of this kind of thing.

Almar@Cult Labs 10th July 2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 630117)
Nighthawks. 1981.

Deke DaSilva and Mathew Fox, two New York detectives transferred to a new division that deals with Anti-Terrorism while a international terrorist known as Wulfgar shows up to cause havoc and panic.

Even though Sly Stallone has top billing it's Rutger Hauer that steals the show as terrorist Wulfgar, who teams up with extremist Shakka, who has no conscience and doesn't blink while pulling a trigger. Nigel Davenport plays Peter Hartman who put the team together and tries to get into everyone's heads and gets them to think like the enemy.

The film does start off with a bang as the two detectives go undercover and Wulfgar in London targeting his next operation, there is somehow so much build up and yet not enough execution, as it does seem to be cat and mouse chase with mind games getting played, with that aside the acting is top notch with some tense moments.

Attachment 226036

What I liked about this was Hauer got equal billing originally - a nice move for the time. What a guy - I met him years ago when I was PR'ing Hobo with a Shotgun - by then he was quite old but what a presence and those eyes! My god, the eyes! Total star.