Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 24th November 2021 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Godzilla Vs Kong. 2021.

Two creatures battle it out while humanity is caught in the middle.

We got two movie creatures, both seem to be good guys yet they are tested for the greatest battle to see who is dominant and someone pulling the strings...sounds familiar...Batman Vs Superman. That reminded while I was watching this, two film favourites battle it out then the enemy shows up and all hell breaks out even more. The acting isn't too bad, can get a bit over the top at times but you can't beat the visual effects and decent CGI effects.

Attachment 237792

MrBarlow 24th November 2021 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
April Fools Day. 1986.

A group of college students are invited to a friend's family home for April Fools weekend and fall foul of a unseen murderer.

This is a slasher movie on a remote island where escape is a definite no no and a killer on the loose...or is there? This is a strange one, kills are mentioned but the violence is pretty low. It may seem like a dim witted bunch of teens trying to escape a serial killer flick but does come with one or two decent twists and turns along the way.

Attachment 237793

Demoncrat 25th November 2021 05:07 PM

Scanner Cop (1994, Pierre David)

Scanner Cop 2
(1995, Steve Bartnett)

Double bill. I'm sure it said on the original poster that there were only 237 of these buggers on the planet, not 237 in every district :pound:
Ahem.
A young man grows up to be a bobby in LA. He meets a fair few miscreants along the way. Lots of that "scanner face" that the sequels set in stone. In the sequel he resembles ... Brad Dourif, if he had done Lethal Weapon :lol: cough. Now for Scanner Force!!!:nod::nod:

MrBarlow 25th November 2021 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Venom. 2018.

A failed reporter Eddie Brock's life changes when a alien parasite latches itself on to him and becomes a parasitic antihero called Venom.

This was a film I didn't think i'd enjoy but it was really good, Tom Hardy plays the reporter who comes into contact with the parasite but not of his own free will. The action sequences are good and the car chase with Eddie on a motorbike is done well and decent visual effects added in with some light humour.

Attachment 237804

gag 25th November 2021 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Time to hunt,

Decent Korean action drama,

Four friends and one just come out of prison and realise how everything changed,
Money worthless, everything derelict, no jobs, no future, decide to Rob the only place that bringing in an income and live by the sea, an illegal gambling den,
Once they do so it then becomes a cat and mouse chase,

Well made, nicely done, some great scenery, once the action starts it’s plodding along very nicely without going daft, Ridiculous or Ott.

Maybe Hollywood could take a leaf out of films like this and realise that you don’t have to go fast and furious 9 or Micheal bay style with the soulless more bigger, and the crash bang wallop boom action isn’t necessarily the best.

Recommend.

MrBarlow 25th November 2021 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paganini Horror. 1988.

A female punk band play some music bought from a sinister man, they play it in a old mansion and realise they have opened a portal to hell.

This may not be the best horror from Lewis Coates (Luigi Cozzi) starring Daria Nicolodi and Donald Pleasance but its fun to watch with Pleasance playing a sinister man with a badly dubbed voice. Cozzi did try to make it decently with the killings but did kinda fail a bit as we see what will happen and the blood splatter but seems a bit light for his work. Think the better laugh was the group trying to sing and was thinking Milli Vanilli lip synced better than what they did.

Attachment 237809

MrBarlow 26th November 2021 01:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Field Guide To Evil. 2018.

A series of short stories based from around the world of, Myths, Folklore, Witches, Demons and Ghosts.

The Sinful Women of Höllfall. Austria
Kathi lives with her mother in 19th century Austria were love and life are a sin, she meets a young women while washing clothes by a stream but at night she is visited by a strange creature.

Haunted by Al Karisi, the Childbirth Djinn. Turkey
A young woman due to give birth and caring for her elderly mother in law starts to feel tormented by a goat. When her baby is born unexplained things begin to happen.

The Kindler and the Virgin. Poland
A traveler sees a woman on a snowy path, she reveals to him if he eats three hearts he will have untold knowledge and power.

Beware the Melonheads. America.
A couple with their young son go on a trip, while there Arnold sees a young person in the woods and is visited by him at night. When Arnold goes missing, his father runs to the woods and discovers a horrible secret.

What Ever Happened to Panagas the pagan. Greece
In 1984 on a small island it is rumoured that goblins who worship a blue flame come to blend in with drunk humans, some islanders may go too far when a goblin appears with them.

The Palace of Horrors. India.
In 1919, a group of men find a ruined castle with deformed human curiosities and strange rites that are collected by a deranged king.

A Nocturnal Breath. Germany.
A brother and sister living in a isolated farm believe they are being tormented by a ghost which wants to possess them.

Cobblers Lot. Hungary.
Two brothers compete for the attention of a princess, a decision that involves black magic rituals.

At under 2 hours every story is about 15-20 minutes long, some of these back story's i know but they are told decently and every one of them always comes with a twist. With them they are subtitles although the last story is told like a silent movie form, the acting isn't that bad but there is two segments that deal with animal killing so be aware. Worth a glance.

Attachment 237810

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th November 2021 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stagefright (1987)

Although the first half of debut director Michele Soavi's film about a crazed killer running amok during rehearsals on a musical production is a bit of a slog as it throws out a stereotypical bunch of musical play types - bitchy lead actress, rejected actress, gay extra, ego inflated director, lecherous producer - however the gory murders keep you interested until a far more interesting showdown between the owl masked killer and the resourceful final girl.

Although i've never found Stagefright a top class giallo slasher film, some of the imagery is certainly memorable such as the weird bird masked killer arranging the bodies of his victims across the stage like some macabre theatre production bathed in a sea of blood.

Good but not great.

MrBarlow 26th November 2021 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Firepower. 1993.

Two cops risk their lives and badges to infiltrate a no holds barred death ring fight and expose a black market ring in futuristic Los Angeles.

Chad McQueen and Gary Daniels play the two officers who infiltrate the Hell Zone fight club and it's leader Joseph Ruskin and his top fighter The Swordsman played by Jim Hellwig...yes The Ultimate Warrior in a action packed film. Chad's acting is a bit wooden at times but Gary delivers a decent performance and good fight scenes, entertaining for a early 90s film.

Attachment 237825

MrBarlow 27th November 2021 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Showdown In Little Tokyo. 1991.

Two L.A. cops are teamed together and bring down a Yakuza drug lord who one of the cops has a vendetta against.

Dolph Lundren and Brandon Lee star as the mismatched buddy cops, American who knows abut Japanese culture and a Japanese who doesn't does make it a bit funny. Tia Carrere stars as the love interest even though her body double can leave a good impression, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa plays the Yakuza Iron Claw bad guy. There is some good fight scenes but does have some incontinuities, I'm pretty sure the guy who killed himself does appear in a few scenes later alive and well.

Attachment 237828

Frankie Teardrop 27th November 2021 11:20 AM

WILD BEASTS – I always find ‘animals attack’ movies a bit lame, but this is nuts. You sense its wonkiness from the credits alone – silky saxophone lullaby over a depressing cityscape and toxic waste! Yum. It just gets worse from then on in. A zooful goes mental via PCP, and the ensuing rampage is infused with a very odd, leering attitude. “Mmm, that’s right,” murmurs the ‘hero’, licking his lips as he watches a load of rats being torched! Those rats, by the way, were real, and the fact that animals here are generally treated with the utmost disrespect shouldn’t surprise anyone familiar with Prosperi. As much as I quibble over that stuff, ‘Wild Beasts’ is such a stone cold classic of Italian trash cinema.

EMMANUEL AND THE LAST CANNIBALS – Speaking of which, EATC is almost there. This time, she’s off to the jungle to find out about a lost tribe… the specifics don’t really matter when it’s pretty much all about dull sex scenes. On the other hand, these are infested with kookiness and sometimes greatness by the music, which spans euphoric disco through shady, flange-bass sleaze to cockeyed Phillip Glass imitation. As with a lot of this kind of thing, it’s the pile up of eccentricities that elevates… the cheap but brutal gore, lush photography taped together with crappy edits, Donald O’Brien looking sweaty and evil… A keeper.

SILVER BULLET – I kind of have a soft spot for this fairly rubbish S King adaption. It really does teeter on the brink of being an out and out bad film, what with that turbo-charged wheelchair and an evil, eye-patch wearing cleric who looks like he’d be better off in a panto. Even with a simple set-up, it meanders all over the place in telling its tale of kid struggling against the odds to best a werewolf in (of course) smalltown American. This disjointedness, along with some woeful acting (Gary Busy is the least of this film’s problems) and a couple of wild fx moments / dream sequences, makes it worthwhile in my book.

DEERSKIN – Some middle-aged guy on his uppers develops a psychotic fixation on an awful deerskin jacket. It’s the kind which, with its short cut and tasselled fringe, gives me the creeps just to look at. Stranded in the sticks, guy meets a would-be editor and pretends to make a film about some kind of metaphorical ‘hunter’ quest to divest the local population of their own coats(!) It all goes to shit from there. ‘Deerskin’ is an example of arthouse cinema turning the screw. It adopts the attitude of detached but quirky metafiction, but then takes a left turn into surprising gore and nastiness. Violence aside, what stops its weird dissection of male mid-life crisis from being too cute is the atmosphere of washed-up isolation in a rural French backwater. I really liked it. The director has form in this territory; his film ‘Rubber’ was a cult hit ten years ago.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th November 2021 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Horror Express (1972)

At the turn of the last century, a professor (Christopher Lee) is transporting his cargo in the form of the prehistoric remains of a creature from China to Moscow aboard the Trans-Siberian Express.

The British-Spanish co-production encapsulates the best of both worlds. Featuring the best of British Gothic horror and the Naschy-esq madness of Spanish monster movies, Horror Express is a classy example of early seventies horror.

The films production values are excellent, the train interiors are lush and sophisticated, and the film features some tasty gory effects, not to mention the cream of classic horror performers in Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Two stalwarts who are almost upstaged by a memorably OTT turn from Telly Savalas as a Cossack army Captain, not to mention the marvelous, scary creature terrorizing all on board. Then there's the tense direction from Eugenio Martin who just about keeps Savalas in check and some genuinely funny lines - Cushing's "Monster? We're British you know" always makes me laugh.

A superior slice of seventies horror, Horror Express is essential viewing. Last night felt the right time to watch this with snow lashing down outside in freakishly high winds. The Arrow Blu-ray looked lovely.

Susan Foreman 27th November 2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 663896)
Horror Express (1972)

At the turn of the last century, a professor (Christopher Lee) is transporting his cargo in the form of the prehistoric remains of a creature from China to Moscow aboard the Trans-Siberian Express.

The British-Spanish co-production encapsulates the best of both worlds. Featuring the best of British Gothic horror and the Naschy-esq madness of Spanish monster movies, Horror Express is a classy example of early seventies horror.

The films production values are excellent, the train interiors are lush and sophisticated, and the film features some tasty gory effects, not to mention the cream of classic horror performers in Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Two stalwarts who are almost upstaged by a memorably OTT turn from Telly Savalas as a Cossack army Captain, not to mention the marvelous, scary creature terrorizing all on board. Then there's the tense direction from Eugenio Martin who just about keeps Savalas in check and some genuinely funny lines - Cushing's "Monster? We're British you know" always makes me laugh.

A superior slice of seventies horror, Horror Express is essential viewing. Last night felt the right time to watch this with snow lashing down outside in freakishly high winds. The Arrow Blu-ray looked lovely.

I first saw 'Horror Express' on television, back in the late 70's. At the time I was a pre-teenager, so I had to watch it in bed on a tiny portable television set in my bedroom. It still managed to scare the hell out of me, and give me sweaty feet (which was always a good sign when I was watching horror films!)

Even now, I don't feel comfortable whenever I have to go anywhere on a train!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th November 2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 663899)
I first saw 'Horror Express' on television, back in the late 70's. At the time I was a pre-teenager, so I had to watch it in bed on a tiny portable television set in my bedroom. It still managed to scare the hell out of me, and give me sweaty feet (which was always a good sign when I was watching horror films!)

Even now, I don't feel comfortable whenever I have to go anywhere on a train!!

The best times. :nod: The shaping of our viewing futures.

Susan Foreman 27th November 2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 663900)
The best times. :nod: The shaping of our viewing futures.

Tiny screen, black and white picture that was only ever tuned in about 75% of what it should have been, rabbit ears aerial which would always result in a distorted picture every time a car, pedestrian or animal would go past the front of the house!!

Good times indeed

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th November 2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 663906)
Tiny screen, black and white picture that was only ever tuned in about 75% of what it should have been, rabbit ears aerial which would always result in a distorted picture every time a car, pedestrian or animal would go past the front of the house!!

Good times indeed

No buttons to change the channel, just a knob to turn to traverse between channels and static nothingness.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th November 2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 663908)
No buttons to change the channel, just a knob to turn to traverse between channels and static nothingness.

We had one of those. It wasn't our main TV (that had buttons above the speaker next to the screen), but it was a spare which we would watch in the loft. I used to know the numbers on the dial for each station and still remember 33 was BBC1.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th November 2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 663913)
We had one of those. It wasn't our main TV (that had buttons above the speaker next to the screen), but it was a spare which we would watch in the loft. I used to know the numbers on the dial for each station and still remember 33 was BBC1.

My current Samsung has no buttons. Totally screwed if the remote control goes wrong. :scared:

MrBarlow 27th November 2021 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Honor and Glory. 1992.

F.B.I Agent Tracey Pride tries to take down a business man who is involved with extortion and murder along with her sister Joyce, her former Hong Kong partner and a young ex bodyguard.

This was a 'no bad' martial arts film with Cynthia Rothrock as the F.B.I agent and Robin Shou as her partner Dragon Lee, John Miller plays a decent part as the businessman Jason Slade. The fight scenes are decently choreographed but at times you do notice a few goofs along the way with a bit of wooden acting but did help pass the time.

Attachment 237840

MrBarlow 27th November 2021 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tough And Deadly. 1995.

Private investigator Elmo Freech is hired by John Portland, a C.I.A. operative who has amnesia and wants his help to remember about a drug smuggling operation around Washington that involves his boss.

Fairly enjoyable 90s film with Roddy Piper as the private investigator who has more than the C.I.A. chasing after him and former crooks he help get busted by the cops. Billy Blanks plays amnesia sufferer John who somehow manages to remember how to pack a punch and a kick. Piper and Blanks seem to work together well and create some comedy in parts, entertaining little number.

Attachment 237844

nicholasrope 27th November 2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 663865)
Firepower. 1993.

Two cops risk their lives and badges to infiltrate a no holds barred death ring fight and expose a black market ring in futuristic Los Angeles.

Chad McQueen and Gary Daniels play the two officers who infiltrate the Hell Zone fight club and it's leader Joseph Ruskin and his top fighter The Swordsman played by Jim Hellwig...yes The Ultimate Warrior in a action packed film. Chad's acting is a bit wooden at times but Gary delivers a decent performance and good fight scenes, entertaining for a early 90s film.

Attachment 237825

I know that people may have a seen a trailer or saw the case in a Video Shop but I thought that not only was I the only person to see this Film but actually like it as well.

Showdown In Little Tokyo (A Film, I love as well) aside (Bigger budget) it appears that you are watching 80's/90's B-Movie Martial Art Movies.

nicholasrope 27th November 2021 10:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
King Richard

Film based on The Williams Sisters rise through The Tennis Ranks via their Father played by Will Smith. Entertaining watch as it appears that he has the best intentions but goes about it heavy handily.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

The 1995 release with the original TV cast which sees a powerful enemy rise and try to take over the world.

I remember back in the day when at Christmas Time, the major shops like Woolworths, WH Smiths, HMV, Boots...etc would put out Christmas Catalogues, where they would have pictures of all the Videos that would be out for Christmas (This was back when price comparison was you went from shop to shop) and this cover would be featured and after finding the DVD cheap in a CEX, I took the plunge (For nostalgic purposes) ok, it's cheesy, corny, not well acted but it stayed true to it's roots and didn't try to be anything it wasn't . I can see me putting this on again when I don't want to watch anything serious.

Any Given Sunday

Magnificent Film starring an all star cast which sees a American Football team go through a lot of trials and tribulations such as a losing streak, injuries and cocky players. There are so many great performances and well acted scenes. In a way, it was a shame that it didn't get any award nominations.

This was one of the earliest DVD's I got and it was the 1st one with Extras which I wasn't used to at the time.

The Octagon

Chuck Norris goes after a Ninja Assassination Training School which is run by his Adoptive Brother.

Maybe it's just me but this was more complicated than it needed to be as well as having too many characters.

Oh, don't get me started on the inner monologues detailing his thoughts.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th November 2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 663940)
Any Given Sunday

Magnificent Film starring an all star cast which sees a American Football team go through a lot of trials and tribulations such as a losing streak, injuries and cocky players. There are so many great performances and well acted scenes. In a way, it was a shame that it didn't get any award nominations.

It's a really good film, one of Oliver Stone's best. As someone who has watched a good number of NFL games, it's interesting to see (at the time) current and former players like Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Terrell Owens, Johnny Unitas, Warren Moon in both main and cameo roles. Al Pacino gives a powerful performance highlighted by his powerful locker room speech in the final game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1yWS...nnel=FightBack

J Harker 28th November 2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 663914)
My current Samsung has no buttons. Totally screwed if the remote control goes wrong. :scared:

Have you checked the back Dem? We thought our Panasonic was buttonless but I've since found a small joystick type control on the back of the TV. Obviously it's limited but it allows for the basic functions.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

MrBarlow 28th November 2021 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
F9. 2021.

The gang comes under threat by a terrorist who happens to be Dom and Mia's brother.

More fast cars, more action and another wrestler joining the franchise in the form of John Cena, only saw him in The Marine and wasn't fond of it. They seem to go from America to London and Edinburgh racing about and using a van, good cinematography as always but falls flat with a space travel, why does Roman always have to scream? Sequels are meant to get better but this was not the best.

Attachment 237862

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th November 2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 663959)
Have you checked the back Dem? We thought our Panasonic was buttonless but I've since found a small joystick type control on the back of the TV. Obviously it's limited but it allows for the basic functions.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Awesome. Cheers. I've found a small button that basically controls the whole tv on the bottom edge of the set. Very well hidden though.

Justin101 28th November 2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 663964)
Awesome. Cheers. I've found a small button that basically controls the whole tv on the bottom edge of the set. Very well hidden though.

I forgot about that button, it's very hidden isn't it :) I couldn't imagine actually trying to do anything with it though!

MrBarlow 28th November 2021 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Irresistible Force. 1993.

A near retired detective is partnered with a rookie female who try to rescue hostages from a terrorist group who have taken over a shopping mall.

Made for T.V movie that was to start a series but is a stand alone due to the fight scenes may be violent for prime time television, Stacey Keach plays the old detective that seems to anger those around him and teamed with Cynthia Rothrock who plays by her own rules. The plot is something we have seen before except a female lead, the fight scenes are decent but what put me off is Christopher Neame, he couldn't quite pull it off being a villain.

Attachment 237865

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th November 2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 663967)
I forgot about that button, it's very hidden isn't it :) I couldn't imagine actually trying to do anything with it though!

It's fairly straightforward. Mainly press and hold but i turned the tv on and off, altered the sound, changed channels and switched from tv to home cinema.

It's not ideal but if something happened to the remote at least it can be used until a replacement was sorted.

Then again i think my amp remote will do it all too.

MrBarlow 28th November 2021 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mausoleum. 1983.

A young girl traumatised by her mother's death, years later she becomes possessed by the demon that took her mother's life.

I won't say this was the best haunted house/possession film but certainly entertaining, one I never gave enough credit when I first saw it yet after watching it a few times it's now a favorite. Bobbi Bresee plays the adult Susan who has fallen to the family curse and even managing to be a nice temptress to the gardener and probably every man on the planet. Early 80s film and it does try to pass with the gore and visual effects make it worth watching

Attachment 237867

Mojo 29th November 2021 12:45 PM

CHALLENGE THE DEVIL ( 1963 )
I’m not quite sure what I’ve watched here.
What starts off as a sort of crime drama, then some musical numbers, then a ‘story’ about some juveniles entering a castle where a white haired Christopher Lee is mourning the loss of his wife. I think.
According to the extras, Lee spent 8 days shooting this obscure Italian film. I don’t know what he was doing for the other 7 and a half days, but his brief scenes here look like the were filmed in an afternoon. Lee giving a brief speech, Lee looking mournful, Lee with his head in his hands etc.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to see such an obscure film starring the great man himself, but it’s obscure for a reason. It’s terrible.

SILENT ACTION. ( 1975 )
Thomas Milan is one of the stars of this Italian crime drama, concerning suspicious suicides of several high ranking military officers and the quest to find the truth.
Sergio Martino is one of my favourite directors and he brings a fast moving and entertaining tale by way of the usual car chases, bloody murders and corrupt cops.
This Blu Ray from Fractured Visions has a neat alternate Italian cover beneath the slipcase and the disc itself has a load of extras, including a booklet.
I believe they’ve got an Umberto Lenzi title coming up next. A label to keep an eye on methinks.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th November 2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 663992)
SILENT ACTION. ( 1975 )
Thomas Milan is one of the stars of this Italian crime drama, concerning suspicious suicides of several high ranking military officers and the quest to find the truth.
Sergio Martino is one of my favourite directors and he brings a fast moving and entertaining tale by way of the usual car chases, bloody murders and corrupt cops.
This Blu Ray from Fractured Visions has a neat alternate Italian cover beneath the slipcase and the disc itself has a load of extras, including a booklet.
I believe they’ve got an Umberto Lenzi title coming up next. A label to keep an eye on methinks.

Free Hand for a Tough Cop is out today. I plan to order it next week.

trebor8273 29th November 2021 06:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k98tBkRsGl4

The first of the " family" movies , Brain is back in the FBI but ends up having too team with Dom too bring down a drug kingpin who is also responsible for Lotties ( does anyone stay dead to n these films?)death. Some great chase scenes even if the effects in the tunnel look a bit crap still quite grounded in reality compared to what's too come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXwaKB7YOjw

Another amazing action packed episode in the series with the usual amazing stunts and action.

Here the IMF has been disbanded by Alec Baldwin head of the CIA, Ethan is a wanted man and is on the Lamb looking for a secret sinister organisation called the syndicate. He has help from old and new friends but has Ethan met his match this time?

This is a group of films that seem too get better as they go on, said this before but these are better "Bond" type films than most of the newer Bond's .

Now watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBKEmWWL38

MrBarlow 29th November 2021 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Miami Connection. 1987.

An American rock band skilled in martial arts go after a drug gang in the Florida area.

I got no idea what I watched, this was about young college kids in a amateur rock band who look older than what they are, it seems to go off the rails a bit and shows some bad underground illegal fighting. The acting in this is really awful to the point the mute button was handy at times, the fight scenes are not the best at all.

Attachment 237870

Demoncrat 29th November 2021 09:06 PM

It's a classic. You want utter crap? Try ...

Creepshow 3 (2006, Ana Clavell/ James Dudelson)

Woeful entry.
Just really awful.
The humour is threadbare and misplaced most of the time, the twists are cliche incarnate and those are the good points. AVOID. :nod:

MrBarlow 29th November 2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 664008)
It's a classic. You want utter crap? Try ...

Creepshow 3 (2006, Ana Clavell/ James Dudelson)

Woeful entry.
Just really awful.
The humour is threadbare and misplaced most of the time, the twists are cliche incarnate and those are the good points. AVOID. :nod:

Oh Demon, you got my sympathy, a film that should really just disappear

HUG

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th November 2021 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
G Men (1935)

Classic gangster crime film in which former Mob enforcer Brick Davis (James Cagney - Brick! What a name. You can tell what sort of a guy he is) joins the government bureau of investigation and ends up going after his old associates.

A cracking film full of fast car chases and even faster bullets - there are shoot outs galore - James Cagney is in great form and plays against type when you think of earlier Cagney classics like Little Caesar and The Public Enemy (Both 1931) in which he played the villain of the piece.

The dialogue is both amusing and quick fire cutting edge with Cagney and co-star Robert Armstrong playing off each other brilliantly as training instructor (Armstrong) and quick learning pupil (Cagney) and the film grips from first minute to last.

Excellent.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th November 2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 664009)
Oh Demon, you got my sympathy, a film that should really just disappear

HUG

Damn! That's my Secret Santa gift to you shot down in flames. :xmashumbug:

MrBarlow 30th November 2021 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dolly Dearest. 1991.

A toy manufacturer buys the "Dolly Dearest" factory in Mexico unaware that one of the porcelain dolls has been possessed by a evil spirit.

This is one of those films I find myself coming back to re-watch and clearly a female doll rip-off from Child's Play except it has the soul of a 800 year old witch instead of a serial killer. The writing is pretty amateurish but the actors including Denise Crosby try to keep it together for entertainment even though there are some unintentional funny bits mixed in.

Attachment 237873

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th November 2021 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Krampus (2015)

Three days before Christmas young Max's dysfunctional family gather for their usual holiday arguments and put downs which depresses Max so much he unwittingly summons the Krampus, a horned demonic figure from Alpine folklore who visits the naughty children on Christmas Eve, as all breaks loose.

Although i enjoyed Michael Dougherty's film a lot more second time around it still feels poorly paced. The first forty minutes are excellent with superb character development as we get to know the highly dysfunctional family. The dialogue is excellent and i found myself chuckling more than once. For reference imagine the Griswold household in Christmas Vacation then imagine them turned up to 11. Toni Collette as Max's mum is brilliant.

It's the second half where things go awry. Dougherty throws everything at the screen, the Krampus obviously, demonic toys, sadistic ginger bread men, creepy dolls, killer elves...there's simply too much going on and although the films is at breakneck speed the characterisation levels come to a crushing halt and it all becomes so generic and lacking in tension. So much hits the screen that i can't even remember what happens to half the characters mere hours after viewing.