Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 7th December 2020 07:42 PM

Fichtner's a hoot in that. REWATCH!!!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th December 2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 641738)
lol I just realised I put that review in the wrong thread... oops. :xmasworry::hohoho:

I've moved it to the TV thread :sleighride:

trebor8273 7th December 2020 08:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouTM3jqZCM

A team of engineers are building a base underwater for the military when they unless a monster that sets about feeding on the crew members . Basically alien underwater , one of a number of underwater movies released in 1989. 6/10

Deepstar 6
The abyss
Leviathan
Lords of the Deep

Now watching (first time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zhLBe319KE

Justin101 7th December 2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 641785)
Go. A group of young people trying to have a good time get into some serious scrapes on Christmas Eve in this late 90s youth comedy-drama. Haven't seen this in like 11 years but still a lot of fun, bouyed by the lovely Katie Holmes and Sarah Polley. PQ was surprisingly decent for a nearly 20-year old DVD, which frankly I half-expected to not even play properly!*:xmastreedance:

Not seen Go in ages and I keep meaning to re-watch it. Now you say it's Christmas themed I might make an excuse to watch it this season!

If I remember correctly there is an English TV actor in this doing American??

iank 7th December 2020 09:51 PM

Don't know about that, there's an English actor (Desmond Askew) playing English in it. :xmasworry:

Justin101 7th December 2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 641797)
Don't know about that, there's an English actor (Desmond Askew) playing English in it. :xmasworry:

Not seen it in probably 15 years so I misremembered it, but yes that's the guy, he used to be in Grange Hill! Then he showed up in this American indie film which was weird at the time.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th December 2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 641796)
Not seen Go in ages and I keep meaning to re-watch it. Now you say it's Christmas themed I might make an excuse to watch it this season!

If I remember correctly there is an English TV actor in this doing American??

Because Go is set around Christmas and just before New Year, I generally watch it every few years around the end of December. It's a film I've seen many times and the excellent performances, witty dialogue, and energetic direction means it never seems to age or become stale.

Dave Boy 8th December 2020 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229911
THE FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW (1972)

A group of actors and actresses meet up in an abandoned theatre on a pier over the sea. They make use of the rooms by sleeping there as well.
A scream in the night and a murderer is around..

Bloodless horror from Pete Walker. Some Hammer Glamour in this. Jenny Hanley, Luan Peters and Judy Matherson. Peters and Matherson quite happy to go topless along with Candace Glendenning. Nice!
An okay film but quite why any one still stays on the pier after the murders is a mystery. It's like nothing happened!
The ending is a bit strange as it switches to 3D or black and white for flashback depending on which version you watch.

J Harker 8th December 2020 08:22 PM

Short Night of Glass Dolls. Aldi Dildo. 1971.

CEX here i come!

Justin101 8th December 2020 08:39 PM

Crash (1996)

https://i.ibb.co/2c8jX8R/CRASH-VERSI...1450x800-c.jpg

Put it this way, I'm glad I spent only £2.99 on the iTunes version rather than £30 on the UHD... Some good bits and pretty entertaining but not as provocative as people seem to think. WTF was that last scene though?

Demoncrat 8th December 2020 09:17 PM

Indeed. Try the book. It RULES.
It was all down to one rather histrionic reviewer getting his knickers in a twist tbh (the reputation).
DC should have gone for broke and filmed Ubik after :laugh:

Demoncrat 8th December 2020 11:09 PM

Las Vegas Bloodbath (1989)

Tonight I could have watched Tenet. I chose this instead.
The right choice :nod::nod::nod:
A business man goes off the rails when he finds his wife cheating.
Yes, it's another bloody SOV flick. Low rent isn't the word :lol:
Just over the hour and all the betterer for it. He slightly reminds me of Seinfeld, which just adds to the fun.

trebor8273 9th December 2020 07:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zhLBe319KE

Hundreds of years after the human race is nearly wiped out , a toxic jungle and the insects that live within threaten what's left of humanity. A young princess tries to protect her people from these threats and other human tribes. A wonderful and thought provoking movie with a great cast. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLE_AoFTiM

The human race is on the brink of destruction and the the earth is a radioactive wasteland after a hostile alien race attack us. A strange cylinder crashes on the planet, it contains plans for a warp drive and advanced weapons as well as the location of a planet in which the people of earth will find the means to restore the earth. A crew is selected and makes there way to save the planet. A enjoyable bit a sci-fi from Japan corny in places but enjoyable . 7.5/10

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OLRQfMOXOw

nicholasrope 9th December 2020 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ring Master

Danish film in which two women are abducted and used as victims in a torture show which is broadcast online. The torture scenes were brutal and sadistic but too much focus was put the hours leading up to their abductions. A missed opportunity.

Demoncrat 9th December 2020 11:29 PM

Noted.

Host (2020, Rob Savage)

A group of friends meet up on Zoom to hold a seance. That'll end well surely? :xmaslol:
Decent enough FFer. Like Unfriended, it worked better because I watched it on the computer tbh. Haven't jumped at a film in long enough, so that's good enough for me. Now scurrying back to my SOV, as that was quite enough modernity for me, just after I check what that noise was ......

Demoncrat 10th December 2020 09:58 AM

Video Violence (1987, Gary Cohen)

Now this is a title I do remember reading about at least. Surprise surprise, it's actually quite conventionally plotted (well....) and pre empts a few things cough Henry cough. When a vhs store owner finds a blank tape in his returns box, the viewing of which disturbs him so much he goes to the local plod. Decent enough flick imho.

Bodom (2014, Gergo Elekes, Jozsef Gallai)

Hungarian FF anyone? Two students investigate a 50 year old mystery. Not at all what I expected. While there is some artifice, I enjoyed this one due to its atypical nature within this genre.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th December 2020 04:00 PM

Decemberdike#4

1 Attachment(s)
Child's Play (2019)

A competent remake/reboot of the well liked horror franchise with a couple of nicely done set pieces and decent horror thrills throughout.

It was interesting to note that the evil Chucky was created by a vindictive employee railing against his employers rather than the evil spirit / possessed doll of the original films. How times change.

Although enjoyable i didn't think this was a patch on the last two films in the series Cult of Chucky and Curse of Chucky

Demoncrat 10th December 2020 04:28 PM

I liked its rather nasty tone and the opening reminded me of a Simpsons episode hahaha. Agree about the last two though D.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th December 2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 641900)
I liked its rather nasty tone and the opening reminded me of a Simpsons episode hahaha. Agree about the last two though D.

Yeah, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Perfectly happy to have it in my collection.

Like the Simpsons comparison. Very apt.

Demoncrat 10th December 2020 07:15 PM

I didn't quite splutter my tea when it happened, but was damn close :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th December 2020 06:17 PM

Decemberdike#5

1 Attachment(s)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Following twenty minutes of claustrophobic tension as a babysitter alone in a dark house is terrorized by crank calls from a maniac lurking in a room upstairs the film becomes interminably dull as the madman escapes years later only to terrorize the same woman again. Except this only happens in the final reel.

The rest of the film stalls terribly and is only watchable thanks to the reliable Charles Durning and Tony Beckley as the 'stranger'.

I actually preferred the 2006 remake to this as it keeps the action confined to the house and basically drags the original's opening act out into an 80 min movie which is flawed but more thrilling than this.

If anyone really wants to see Beckley go proper psycho in a terrific slasher, Robert Hartford-Davis' 1971 film The Fiend is the one to see.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th December 2020 06:19 PM

Decemberdike #6

1 Attachment(s)
The Atomic Submarine (1959)

A reasonably suspenseful sc-fi B-picture featuring a memorable cast of familiar faces such as Dick Foran, Tom Conway and Arthur Franz.

Director Spencer G Bennet sustains a tense atmosphere throughout as the nuclear powered submarine and it's crew search the waters around the North Pole for an underwater UFO and it's iconic single eyed occupant.

At a mere seventy minutes this never outstays it's welcome and was an enjoyable watch.

Demoncrat 12th December 2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 641973)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Following twenty minutes of claustrophobic tension as a babysitter alone in a dark house is terrorized by crank calls from a maniac lurking in a room upstairs the film becomes interminably dull as the madman escapes years later only to terrorize the same woman again. Except this only happens in the final reel.

The rest of the film stalls terribly and is only watchable thanks to the reliable Charles Durning and Tony Beckley as the 'stranger'.

I actually preferred the 2006 remake to this as it keeps the action confined to the house and basically drags the original's opening act out into an 80 min movie which is flawed but more thrilling than this.

If anyone really wants to see Beckley go proper psycho in a terrific slasher, Robert Hartford-Davis' 1971 film The Fiend is the one to see.

Ah, Beware My Brethren .... where's that at now .....

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th December 2020 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Untouchables (1987)

Brian De Palma's absolutely stunning take on the old tv show which made a star out of Kevin Costner as Eliot Ness, a family man treasury agent given the task of ridding prohibition era Chicago of bootlegging, in particular one Al Capone.

The dialogue courtesy of David Mamet crackles and Ennio Morricone's score is outstanding. Although Costner is the 'hero' of the piece the rest of the cast are probably even more memorable - Andy Garcia's young sharp shooter, Charles Martin Smith's ill fated tax agent, Billy Drago's hitman Frank Nitti, an on edge Robert De Niro as Capone and of course Sean Connery's Oscar winning turn as a veteran beat cop who shows Costner the ropes and teaches him 'the Chicago way'.

De Palma gives the film some outstanding directing flair showcasing some bloody set pieces, most notably the climax at the railway station which says a huge 'hello' to Battleship Potemkin's steps sequence, but you won't care because De Palma will have you gripped with tension as it happens. There is of course a brilliantly sustained tracking shot which gives one sequence a near horror movie feel to it.

I must have seen The Untouchables ten times over the years and it remains just as it's always been - cool as f*ck!

Demoncrat 12th December 2020 10:44 PM

Cannibal Campout (1988, Tom Fisher, Jon McBride)

More SOV. Quel bastard surprise :laugh:

4 clods traipse gaily off to their doom. Quite a bleak wee thing really. The villians performances tend to waiver on the comedic, but the tone isn't Carry On Killing by any means.
Ahem.

The next one appears to be a charming Elizabethan set comedy of manners called .......... Killiing Spree :rolleyes::lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th December 2020 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Entrapment (1999)

A fun if dated crime caper that makes full use of it's Malaysian location - the spectacular Petronas Towers - in a satisfying occasionally breathtaking finale even though the whole thing defies plausibility. not to mention the age gap between the two stars of this romantic heist movie. I suppose when you consider it's Sean Connery (a tender 68 when filming) and the other star is Catherine Zeta Jones it may not be too implausible.

That said, for all it's improbabilities the sight of Zeta Jones maneuvering her body round a complex security system has become somewhat iconic in the years since.

I'd completely forgotten this old favourite was set at Christmas and New Year. Another one for the list.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th December 2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 642030)
Entrapment (1999)

I'd completely forgotten this old favourite was set at Christmas and New Year. Another one for the list.

I've only seen Entrapment once and thought it was enjoyable, well constructed, and engaging. That was many years ago so it would be interesting to buy a cheap copy from Music Magpie or charity shop and see if it's as much fun as I remember.

Demoncrat 13th December 2020 09:11 AM

Killing Spree (1987, Tim Ritter)

Not actually SOV (16 mm??), this tale of torment and titilation is another oddity from the arse end of genre cinema. A working stiff begins to suspect his wife. Whilst the lead's performance reminded me more of a Kenny Everett character than a real human being, this was a lot of fun imho.

Demoncrat 13th December 2020 12:36 PM

Splatter Farm (1987)

Two twins go and visit an aunt. Her handyman ... has a sideline. It's not hairdressing, I will say that. Reasonably grotty SOV. The leads reminded me of Mark Borchardt slightly. Hmmm.

The Flower Tapes

FF. When a whiny millenial starts a "video journal" of his "journey" after a break up, I was just about to put it off. The hook was nothing out of the ordinary for fans of this genre, and the pay off underwhelming. Tenet tonight methinks .... :lol:

Dave Boy 13th December 2020 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229973 Attachment 229974
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (TERROR IN SPACE) (1965)

Mario Bava sci-fi horror in which two spacecraft crash on a planet after receiving a distress signal. The crews find themselves possessed by an alien race which live in the revived corpses of buried crew members.
Good movie which pitched several ideas to 1979's ALIEN.
The ending is a cracker on first viewing.

Nostalgic 13th December 2020 06:16 PM

Laura (1944)

Classic film noir from Otto Preminger about a detective delving into the life of a murdered woman, and the men in her life. Echoes of Vertigo, definately, and the Eureka disc is packed with extras (2 commentaries, 3 radio adaptations, etc). Avoid the pretentious essay by Phil Hoad in the booklet though. Referencing #metoo in the first page & saying tha the writer of the novel "struggled" and was given a "paltry" $30,000 for the book rights in 1944 shows what kind of a world they're living in.
I much prefer the booklets to be written by someone who ADMIRES the film, not some journalism major hoping to sound clever by saying everything has feminist subtext!!!

"NOW BREATHE...."

trebor8273 13th December 2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 642047)
Laura (1944)

Classic film noir from Otto Preminger about a detective delving into the life of a murdered woman, and the men in her life. Echoes of Vertigo, definately, and the Eureka disc is packed with extras (2 commentaries, 3 radio adaptations, etc). Avoid the pretentious essay by Phil Hoad in the booklet though. Referencing #metoo in the first page & saying tha the writer of the novel "struggled" and was given a "paltry" $30,000 for the book rights in 1944 shows what kind of a world they're living in.
I much prefer the booklets to be written by someone who ADMIRES the film, not some journalism major hoping to sound clever by saying everything has feminist subtext!!!

"NOW BREATHE...."

By inflation 30000 is over 450,000 what world does that moron live in it that's paltry!

Think this is him, well he's writes for the guardian so that explains a lot
http://www2.bfi.org.uk/people/phil-hoad

iank 14th December 2020 12:31 AM

'Nuff said... :hohoho:

Dave Boy 14th December 2020 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229986
HIGH NOON (1952)

Classic western. Newly wed Garry Cooper hands in his marshal badge and is about to leave town when a gang arrives in the town. An outlaw that Cooper sent to jail is arriving on the noon train and the gang are waiting at the station for him. The marshall recieves no help from anyone in the town and has to face the gang alone.
Great movie, dialogue driven until the final showdown.
The themes of the movie were later used for 1981's space thriller Outland.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2020 04:40 PM

Decemberdike # 7

1 Attachment(s)
Crimes of Passion (1984)

Ken Russell's stylish day-glo erotic thriller which features the brilliant Kathleen Turner as a fashion designer by day cum salacious prostitute China Blue by night in which all goes well until she meets a private eye who ends up falling for her alter ego and a deranged street preacher ( Anthony Perkins, in full on Norman Bates guise) with a case full of sex toys who wants to purify her soul by ****ing her to death with a razor sharp vibrator.

It's Ken Russell so it's pervy as hell and he pulls no punches with the sex scenes - see the nightstick penetration as an example - yet underneath all the gloss and lurid sex the film does have a heart to it helped by excellent performances by Turner and Perkins.

Demoncrat 14th December 2020 06:23 PM

The Terrror Within (1989)

Second tier sci fi horror flick. Andrew Stevens? George Kennedy? Yes please.
After "the incident", teams of sorts hide in underground bunkers waiting for a chance to guest star in ST: TNG. Some decentish gore and t'ing. Hackneyed plot stolen from a film made in 1979 by Ridley Scott. REWATCH!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 642109)
The Terrror Within (1989)

Second tier sci fi horror flick. Andrew Stevens? George Kennedy? Yes please.
After "the incident", teams of sorts hide in underground bunkers waiting for a chance to guest star in ST: TNG. Some decentish gore and t'ing. Hackneyed plot stolen from a film made in 1979 by Ridley Scott. REWATCH!!!

I trust you'll be rewatching the second movie too? Same dvd set and all

Demoncrat 14th December 2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 642112)
I trust you'll be rewatching the second movie too? Same dvd set and all

Of course, just after I watch Tenet :xmaslol: .... or Revenge Of The Killer Babes .... :xmascan::psychosanta:

trebor8273 14th December 2020 07:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByXuk9QqQkk

A young girl and her family are moving to a new home , they get lost and end up at a abandoned amusement park, the parents are turned into pigs after eating some food and the girl finds the place is inhabited by spirits and is run by a old witch, the girl gets a job in a bath house and teams up with a young boy who just happens to be a dragon, to find someway to get her parents changed back. A wonderful and charming animated , with beautiful animation and story. 9.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbvxV2OJQKk

It's been a number of years since the enterprises historic 5 year mission has ended , Kirk is now a admiral but when a dangerous and lethal entity is on a course to earth, Kirk gets himself in command of the enterprise to face this foe. Often called the slow motion picture , which it is at times, but it's a enjoyable if not action packed piece of sci if and it was nice at the time too see the crew back together . 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCx8bMMTOM

Tim Allen as William Shatner. The cast of old sci-fi show who haven't had a proper acting job in 20 years spend there time open super stores and attending conventions, when a group of aliens who believe the show is real , the team think they might be a acting job but it's not long before they find out it's all real, are these out of work actors up for the task to become real life intergalactic heroes. Tim Allen is basically Kirk and Allan Rickman is a hybrid of Leonard Nimoy/ Patrick Stewart and Sigourney Weaver is a surprisingly hot blond who's only job is to repeat what the computers says. Lots of little Easter eggs towards star trek and other sci-fi movies and for me it's my favourite star trek movie thats not a star trek movie, better star trek than the reboot movies. 9/10

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7cowIHjCD4

Followed by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dQXov518XU

Dave Boy 14th December 2020 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 230004
THE WILD ANGELS (1966)

After a fight with some motorbike thieves at a garage, Peter Fonda's Hells Angels gang are wanted by the police after the rescue of one of their number from a hospital who was shot.

This movie was to be the start of AIP's biker pictures.
The film ran in to trouble on release. Scenes of violence and rape, along with Nazi insignia, raucous parties, and a church smashed up at a funeral did not sit well with people and critics. That never stopped the movie being a box office hit and mada a lot of money for a low budget film. The movie ran in to censor trouble and was cut in many countries including the UK.
Enjoyable movie with a pretty good soundtrack.

https://render.fineartamerica.com/im...harrington.jpg