Like Tree179628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2012, 04:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
My landlady's son is currently staying with her. He is 16 years old

At time of writing, we have 'Epic Movie' on the DVD player. Oh joy! To make it even more enjoyable (?), he has chosen the audio track where the characters regularly break wind - yes, there is a 'guff commentary' on the film

Please kill me now!
Christ and I taught i was having a shit day.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 9th July 2012, 05:24 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

For whatever reason I was in the mood to watch horror sequels that few people particularly
care about:

Psycho 2 - Surprisingly engaging, blackly comic follow up to Hitchcock's classic.

Alien 3 (Director's Cut) - Defended this as a young fan of the franchise in my early teens, now apart from the ending and some decent visual cues it's a resounding 'meh'.

Alien: Resurrection (Director's Cut) - Still utterly terrible after all these years, those who thought Prometheus ruined the Alien series would be wise to relive this wreck to set the record straight.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 9th July 2012, 05:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Alien 3 (Director's Cut) - Defended this as a young fan of the franchise in my early teens, now apart from the ending and some decent visual cues it's a resounding 'meh'.
I prefer the ballsy opening to the ending, swiftly killing off the annoying kid and Action Man hero It's the repetitive 'run n' scream' climax that really lets it down for me . . .
Invid Ninja likes this.
Old 9th July 2012, 06:08 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I prefer the ballsy opening to the ending, swiftly killing off the annoying kid and Action Man hero It's the repetitive 'run n' scream' climax that really lets it down for me . . .
I will give you that too, the one thing I personally thought was interesting were the POV shots from the Alien during the last chase; good offset to the quite jarringly bad matte effects used for the titular monster most of the time.

Old 9th July 2012, 06:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

I don't know, I don't mind the monster effects - matting in a puppeteered creature seemed quite a novel approach to me - but then, I haven't seen it for a good while. Another big plus is the score by Elliot Goldenthal - really haunting stuff, second only to Goldsmith's for Alien. But then, the scores to all four alien films (not counting Prometheus) have been uniformly excellent . . .
Old 9th July 2012, 06:21 PM
Active Cultist

The music is definetly a highlight, I usually love a good wonky matte effect but on Blu where the Alien's luminous green visage is projected against the prison's arid reds and oranges in quite eye-popping detail it's very strange to see. I suppose at the time they may have wanted to make the creature's dog/ox hybrid features seem more unnatural through this method.

Old 9th July 2012, 07:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Five Element Ninjas aka Super Ninjas (1982)

"Two schools' rivalry comes to a bloody end when the master of the "evil" school hires a group of deadly ninjas to kill the members of the other."

What can I say about this Shaw classic...it's great fun if you like ninjas.

Surprisingly bloody and gory as well and there's even some nudity.

Old 9th July 2012, 08:48 PM
Cult Master

Laid to Rest

Not a bad film at all i went in expecting nothing and was surprised at what i got. The gore is done really well. I have Laid to Rest 2 on right now and it picks up right at the end of the first and like the first one starts off with some great gore.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:57 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I'm really in 2 minds about whether or not to go see this. I don't mind the idea of them rebooting it so soon after the Raimi films but I kinda object to it on the basis that it was done since the studio ran the original franchise into the ground with their interference. I might give it a go at some point as I don love these sort of films.
I was really impressed by this reboot, with different characters, narrative arcs, tone and aesthetic. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the sequel and whether Mark Webb (great name for someone to direct a Spider-Man film) and Andrew Garfield will be for however many films this series runs for in the same way as Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire did for their trilogy.

I saw it in 2D and can't imagine 3D adding anything to the viewing experience except making it darker!
Old 10th July 2012, 04:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched zombie 3 over the weekend.
Jesus Christ.
Enough said.
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!