Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2012, 11:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
The Millionaire Chase (1969)

Fun Shaw musical comedy,the story is not very complicated so perfect for a relaxed viewing.

Lots of eye candy as well and some groovy 60's fashions.

Why did many songs in this film remind me of the Andrews Sisters though?

Looks fun
Old 9th July 2012, 11:53 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I simply cannot get my head around this. Nor do I think I will ever understand what people rated so highly about it.

It makes me feel old and out of touch.
Simply put, it dosesnt feel like it was put together by a comittee. It was written and directed by Joss whedon, who has also contributed a lot to marvel comics and is very familiar with the characters, and he was given plenty of creative freedom to deliver something none of the spider-man, daredevil, ultraman, or even Nolans's batmans could deliver, a true comic book feel and a film unashamed of its roots. The last film I can remember doing that was Flash Gordon and before it Barbarella. It's a film featuring a large cast of characters and manages to balance everything perfectly. Every character gets their arc, every character gets their moments and it dosent feel compomised in the slighest.

Well structured, humourous, well-paced and with plenty of pay off for the fans, Avengers is the most successful comic book adaptation ever and it deserves every bit of it.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:01 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
It looks amazing! I'd love to see this.

Is it a reworking of How To Marry A Millionaire?
It's somewhat similar.

The IVL/Celestial dvd is English friendly and should be easy to find.

Several "millionaire films" were made by the Shaws but not all are on dvd,these are the ones I know of:

How to Marry a Millionaire / 狂戀 (1960)
The Millionaire Chase / 釣金龜 (1969) *
We Love Millionaires / 我愛金龜婿 (1971) *

*IVL/Celestial dvd

I own both dvd's btw.

Gojirosan likes this.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Simply put, it dosesnt feel like it was put together by a comittee. It was written and directed by Joss whedon, who has also contributed a lot to marvel comics and is very familiar with the characters, and he was given plenty of creative freedom to deliver something none of the spider-man, daredevil, ultraman, or even Nolans's batmans could deliver, a true comic book feel and a film unashamed of its roots. The last film I can remember doing that was Flash Gordon and before it Barbarella. It's a film featuring a large cast of characters and manages to balance everything perfectly. Every character gets their arc, every character gets their moments and it dosent feel compomised in the slighest.

Well structured, humourous, well-paced and with plenty of pay off for the fans, Avengers is the most successful comic book adaptation ever and it deserves every bit of it.
I didn't get any of that from it. I saw an adequately made film rife with cliché and repetition. Poor dialogue, dull script, acting either OK or awful. It felt very much like a "committee" film to me. All it did was "tick boxes". I don't understand what magic it contains that makes so many people revere it as if it's a cinematic masterpiece. The film snob in me is very disturbed by the whole affair.
Demoncrat and Invid Ninja like this.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I didn't get any of that from it. I saw an adequately made film rife with cliché and repetition. Poor dialogue, dull script, acting either OK or awful. It felt very much like a "committee" film to me. All it did was "tick boxes". I don't understand what magic it contains that makes so many people revere it as if it's a cinematic masterpiece. The film snob in me is very disturbed by the whole affair.
Each to there own I guess, similar to the way I though attack the block was poorly mad garbage, one man's (or woman's) cinematic gem is another's turkey. That's the problem with film, its very subjective. I think it also depends if you like Joss whedon as a filmmaker/writer. I loved Cabin in the woods and serenity and I enjoyed the first three seasons of buffy, Firefly and I even Rated Dollhouse so I've always enjoyed his work. After films like spiderman, daredevil and the nolan Batman movies all trying for grim, gritty realism it was simply refreshing for a film to simply be silly and fun and unashamedly so.
Old 9th July 2012, 01:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i wasn't hugely impressed by The Avengers, it was the first 3D film i saw in the cinema and i think it ruined the experience for me, i'll rewatch it when it comes out on blu-ray and i'll probably enjoy it a hell of a lot more than i did. I'm very very pro Captain America because i thought that was the best film Marvel had done.

Anyway recent viewings....

Maximum Overdrive:
Silly but entertaining Machines on the Warpath film from Stephen King, came across like Assault On Precinct 13 with Trucks.

Dragonslayer:
Top notch 80s dragon film from Disney when they took risks. Brilliant creature design and very very dark. It's kind of like Game Of Throwns minus the boobs.

Reign Of Fire:
Never realised how good this film was until i re-watched it. It's a good dragon film and great post Apocalypse film.

Project X (2012)
:
utter juvenile rubbish.

Pig Hunt:
Totally mental action horror from the late Jim Isaacs, very fun with a good practical creature..

Fear Island:
Pretty good low-budget island terror about of group of students getting killed off one by one but this had a twist in it, if you've seen Usual Suspects then you get what i mean. Worth a watch.

Marooned:
Good sci-fi with Hackman, Crenna, Franciscus and Peck about a 3 astronautics stranded in space and the rescue mission. A bit over long but well worth a watch.

Devil In A Blue Dress:
brilliant noir with a twisty turny plot with a stunning central performance from Denzel Washington as Easy Rawlings. Cannot recommend this more....

21 Jump Street (2012):
Laughed my ass off while watching this, some of the ways they avoid cliches are very funny and Channing Tatum is surprisingly good at comedy.
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 9th July 2012, 01:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Sexy and Dangerous (1996)

"A group of tough gang girls battle rival gangs, jealous girlfriends, and broken hearts."

An odd but still enjoyable mix of producer Wong Jing's and director Billy Tang's ideas.
There's lots of comedy but the film also contains some really violent scenes.

Karen Mok looks really good as the gang's newcomer with her (fake I suppose) snake tattoo btw.

Curious about Billy Tang's Street Angels...

Old 9th July 2012, 01:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Too many different stuff ,from Damiano to Ozu and from Brass to Lang
Old 9th July 2012, 02:11 PM
Ex-member

FATHER'S DAY - bought this from HMV
a Troma produced horror comedy, wasn't bad though not one of their best
disliked the 'grindhouse effect' but didn't really ruin film
hope Troma don't carry on making films with this stupid look
Old 9th July 2012, 04:50 PM
Cult Master

My landlady's son is currently staying with her. He is 16 years old

At time of writing, we have 'Epic Movie' on the DVD player. Oh joy! To make it even more enjoyable (?), he has chosen the audio track where the characters regularly break wind - yes, there is a 'guff commentary' on the film

Please kill me now!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!