All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2012, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Attachment 88323

Rented this from work last night. A little slow paced perhaps but I enjoyed it. Willem Defoe is fantastic in this film about a hunter in tazmania searching for the tazmanian tiger. It looks wonderful as well with some great cinematography.
I've ordered the BD of that. Very good movie, I enjoyed it.
Old 28th October 2012, 03:52 PM
Cult Addict

Nice to see Sam neill on top form too....
Old 28th October 2012, 08:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Black God White Devil

A key film of Brazil's Cinema Novo movement, Glauber Rocha's 1964 film Black God White Devil follows the fortunes of a poor farmer who kills a cattle owner and goes on the run to hook up with a religious maniac and later a revolutionary bandit, all the while followed by hired gunman Antonio das Mortes... A ragged, feverish film Black God White Devil is a heady brew of mysticism, religion and politics played out against some of the driest scorched looking landscapes in Cinema, the story propelled along by a Greek chorus of fantastic Brazilian folk songs. The violence is often surprisingly sadistic - a baby stabbed to death on a sacrificial altar, a bride raped on her wedding day - and the film is outlandish enough to include a startling tip of the hat to Eisenstein's Odessa Steps. Rocha's film sits somewhere between Gospel According to Matthew, A Bullet For the General and El Topo, and if all that sounds intriguing, this is the film for you...

Old 28th October 2012, 08:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Attachment 88323

Rented this from work last night. A little slow paced perhaps but I enjoyed it. Willem Defoe is fantastic in this film about a hunter in tazmania searching for the tazmanian tiger. It looks wonderful as well with some great cinematography.

Best film of 2012 for me.
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Best film of 2012 for me.
Oof, jumping the gun a bit there aren't you? I'll definitely be adding it to my rental list now though.

My best of 2012 is currently a battle between Holy Motors and Berberian Sound Studio. But still many more I need to fit in before the end of the year . . .
Old 28th October 2012, 09:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Spies Like Us (1985)

Sporadically funny cold war adventure starring Chevy Chase and Dan Ayckroyd, directed by John Landis. The laughs are thick and fast during the first half but come to a grinding halt after that as a plot about Russian nuclear missiles gets in the way.

The film has nice eye candy in the shapely forms of Donna Dixon and Vanessa Angel and Landis casts his mates Harryhausen, Gilliam, Oz and Apted in nice cameos, not to mention Bob Hope playing a swift round in the Afghan desert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Spieslikeusposter.jpg (19.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 28th October 2012, 09:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Spies Like Us (1985)
I've never seen this, but have wanted to ever since I saw the spoof Family Guy episode 'Spies Reminiscent of Us'.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen this, but have wanted to ever since I saw the spoof Family Guy episode 'Spies Reminiscent of Us'.
I picked it up for 1p plus postage from Zoverstocks in a three disc set with Blazing Saddles and Best in Show.

I'd never seen Blazing Saddles or Spies before but enjoyed both.

If anyone can spot a connection to make these three a box set, then answers on a postcard to ....

cos' i damn well can't.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Oof, jumping the gun a bit there aren't you? I'll definitely be adding it to my rental list now though.

My best of 2012 is currently a battle between Holy Motors and Berberian Sound Studio. But still many more I need to fit in before the end of the year . . .
I did fully intend to include the phrase "so far", but clearly had some kind of brain fart!
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post

It certainly edged out SNOWTOWN as best Australian film for sure.

Really looking forward to seeing Berberian sound studio, its almost criminal how difficult its been to see this film, Toby jones is a brilliant actor imo.

Like this? Share it using the links below!