Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179665Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just watched Resident Evil Retribution and can't understand all the hatred of the film

Also recently saw Van Dammes 6 bullets which is a great return to form with a decent story and the Total Recall remake which I thoroughly enjoyed. I usually hate remakes however I was never really much of a fan of Arnies original version and found the new one to be great fun.
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:19 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

LOVELY MOLLY. Incredibly downbeat and downright unsettling entry into the recent sub-genre of haunted house/demonic possession flicks. The plot is kind of short: woman moves into house and becomes possessed but the back story to this involves childhood sexual abuse, mental illness and drug addiction. Made by the director of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, this has similarities to that film with a heavy dose of THE ENTITY added for good measure. The lead actress is very credible as she slowly slips into possession, madness and nudity. The ending will divide people with it's unmasking of the "evil" in the house, which I loved by the way. With all the nudity, drug use and central themes of abuse, I was very surprised that this is a 15 cert in the UK.

A bleak, slow burning film that will infuriate some with it's lack of explanation of events and clues to events which are never followed up. Highly recommended.
SShaw, Wes, Demoncrat and 3 others like this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
LOVELY MOLLY... Highly recommended.
Thanks, this is new to me but I'll track this down. Sounds very interesting. No longer will Eduardo Sánchez be consigned to the Whatever Happened To ? scrapheap. Now, what about those Man Bites Dog guys...
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I had a similar experience with ROTLD recently after not having seen it since the early nineties. There's a verve and a snappy kind of cynicism to it that carry it through to 'now' whilst it still feels as 'eighties' as it should. The soundrack's really good and obviously there's LQ's graveyard fetish.
Yep, it holds up just fine, but Part 2 is a terrible film and no amount of 80's nostalgia will save that one...
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Thanks, this is new to me but I'll track this down. Sounds very interesting. No longer will Eduardo Sánchez be consigned to the Whatever Happened To ? scrapheap. Now, what about those Man Bites Dog guys...
It was one of my blind supermarket buys, one of my favourite ways at present of purchasing films. It's an interesting, if flawed film, that doesn't go for the roller coaster thrills of recent ghost/possession films. There is an uneasy edge running through it almost from the start. Oddly, it has a batch of semi humorous fake documentaries concerning the history of the house it is set in as the extra features. Sadly these distract from the films impact if watched straight away.

I believe Sanchez has a found footage Bigfoot film out soon which should please Kyle.
Wes likes this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Yep, it holds up just fine, but Part 2 is a terrible film and no amount of 80's nostalgia will save that one...
Part 2 is truly terrible on par with CHUD 2.
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
It was one of my blind supermarket buys, one of my favourite ways at present of purchasing films. It's an interesting, if flawed film, that doesn't go for the roller coaster thrills of recent ghost/possession films. There is an uneasy edge running through it almost from the start. Oddly, it has a batch of semi humorous fake documentaries concerning the history of the house it is set in as the extra features. Sadly these distract from the films impact if watched straight away...
No, that all sounds good to me, I'm sick of by-the-numbers-horror at the moment, I'm not even watching all that much Horror right now...
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched a little known film called The Empire Strikes Back, really enjoyed it and was absolutely in shock at the plot twist at the end, I won't say what it is because I don't want to ruin for anybody, highly recommended and apparently part of a saga too!

Sorry, I'm in a daft mood this evening
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
No, that all sounds good to me, I'm sick of by-the-numbers-horror at the moment, I'm not even watching all that much Horror right now...
I hear that, I've just had a break from horror for a few months and I'm presently enjoying it again especially by the numbers stuff! I'm still completely burnt out on sexploitation sadly, as I have stacks of the stuff still to watch.
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I'm still completely burnt out on sexploitation sadly, as I have stacks of the stuff still to watch.
Me too, just finding the time, and the thing is you have to be in a certain...uh..mood for that. No more for a while after the latest Schulmädchen-Report...

Like this? Share it using the links below!