Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179836Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:55 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Watched (Terror At The) Opera last night. Still one of my favourite Argento films and probably the last film he directed with real visual flair and excellent camerawork. Still not too keen on The Sound of Music ending though.
Agreed! Cut it off at the burning chair I say!
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Medium Cool, Haskell Wexler's 1969 docu-drama about the turbulant events around the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. A news cameraman (played by a tough-headed Robert Forster) explores the Chicago slums and its volatile racial tensions and discovers his news agency is passing his footage to the FBI and the CIA... One of the most incredible American films of the sixties, Medium Cool's extraordinary final act is set amid the maelstrom of actual riot between peaceful protestors and a brutal Chicago police force... See it and worry.

Old 3rd November 2012, 08:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD. I've not seen this since it was first released on sell thru video and was worried that it would have aged badly or my feelings to it would have changed over the years. I'm glad to report I really enjoyed it and found an inner bleakness to the film I'd previously missed amongst the effects, screaming and general running around.

Stand out performance is by Linnea Quigley's body which moves through the latter part of the film with an almost supernatural grace and sense of self, combining sex and death in a very seductive way.
I had a similar experience with ROTLD recently after not having seen it since the early nineties. There's a verve and a snappy kind of cynicism to it that carry it through to 'now' whilst it still feels as 'eighties' as it should. The soundrack's really good and obviously there's LQ's graveyard fetish.
Make Them Die Slowly and Wes like this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Toxic Zombies-does that feature John Amplas?
Old 3rd November 2012, 09:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Toxic Zombies-does that feature John Amplas?
Yes it does. Unfortunately, he doesn't give much 'Martin' in this one. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to distinguish him from the zombies.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 09:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy Ghost Stories for life not just for xmas

Just picked up my Ghost Sories For Christmas boxset from post office (or Nazi HQ as I like to call it) Dived right in because I wanted to watch Lost Hearts again as I recently re-read the story,my fav MR James story,although its set at Halloween which kind of pisses on the whole idea of stories xmas,well done BBc,could'nt you just call it Ghost Stories DUH.
But a great set pity it took so long to release but well done BFI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture0002.jpg (37.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd November 2012, 09:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
well done BBc,could'nt you just call it Ghost Stories DUH.
I bet there'd be a storm of online outrage if they'd dropped christmas from the title . . .
Old 3rd November 2012, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I bet there'd be a storm of online outrage if they'd dropped christmas from the title . . .
PAh they don't scare me,bloody online trolls
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showed mate Gu (aka Bewitched), was suitably weirded out, even though it's not as totally crazed as The Boxer's Omen, it's still a unique watch.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:22 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Showed mate Gu (aka Bewitched), was suitably weirded out, even though it's not as totally crazed as The Boxer's Omen, it's still a unique watch.
I love Bewitched (not the show, though ). I've just finished watching Boxer's Omen for the first time - loved it!
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!