Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2012, 04:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I've been watching Les Vampires all week - it's great, all the usual jumping out of high windows, exploding top hats, twirling moustaches, multiple disguises etc you get in silent movie crowd pleasers. I'll miss the shenanigans of Mazamette, Irma Vep, Guerande and the rest - all now long dead but chasing each other around in perpituity thanks to this great Kino blu ray.
Great post ! Joe have you seen the 1996 French film Irma Vep, a film about a disaster plaugued remake of the original serial ? Maggie Cheung (playing herself and looking absolutely stunning) dons the title character's slinky costume. If you have yet to see it be sure to track it down, it's a fantastic film...

Old 18th November 2012, 04:41 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Amsterdamned: really enjoyed this in spite of some odd dubbing choices. Excellent speedboat chase too!

Apartment 143: found footagey paranormal film that owes a massive debt to Paranormal Activity. Much better than expected with some half decent ideas and at 77 minutes doesn't outstay its welcome. Even though I am sick to death of these sort of films it wasn't too bad and a lot better than Paranormal Activity 4

Jackass The Movie and Jackass Number Two: got drunk and watched these both for the second time in a month. Still laugh more than is probably acceptable at these

The Deadly Spawn: didn't do it for me I'm afraid. Moved along at far too slow a pace for me to get into it and didn't really have a main character or anything actually happen to anyone other than a few deaths. Great practical effects though
Old 18th November 2012, 05:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I've been watching Les Vampires all week - it's great, all the usual jumping out of high windows, exploding top hats, twirling moustaches, multiple disguises etc you get in silent movie crowd pleasers. I'll miss the shenanigans of Mazamette, Irma Vep, Guerande and the rest - all now long dead but chasing each other around in perpituity thanks to this great Kino blu ray.
Cool. I did the entire run of serials for the first time last year, and had similar withdrawal symptoms when it was over Might give it a second play this week. Wanna do a couple of complimentary posters for Les Vampires and Fantomas in a similar style to the Judex design I did a while back . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JUDEXtextversion mini2.jpg (104.8 KB, 7 views)
Handyman Joe likes this.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
No, not quite!

Yes; all of them are 'virgin viewings' for me, as part of my 'No Re-watch November'. Eating Raoul and A Boy and His Dog were my favourites of the bunch, although all were decent.

Here is a quick list of how I'd rate them:

Eating Raoul: 4/5
Eyes of Fire: 3.5/5
Shadow of Chinatown: 2.5/5
The Dead Mountaineer's Hotel: 3/5
Carne: 3.5/5
Rolling Thunder: 3/5
A Boy and His Dog: 4/5
Diary of a Madman: 3.5/5
O-Bi, O-Ba – The End of Civilization: 3.5/5
Sukkubus – den Teufel im Leib: 3.5/5
Kin-Dza-Dza: 3.5/5
A Serious Man: 2.5/5
Eyes of Fire suffered 16 minutes of distributor cuts before it's release...I hope we will get to see the film as it was originally intended one day...

Btw Some nice ones in there (A Boy and His Dog is so much fun it should have had at least several sequels with more adventures of our heroes imho)...but nothing from the fragant harbour?
Old 18th November 2012, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Dug out the AWE "Cannibal Collection" and re-watched Cannibal Holocaust (always great!), Cannibal Ferox (better than I remember it being), and Eaten alive (Erm...a bit hilarious!)

also watched William Lustig's Maniac (Elite DVD) and Pieces (Arrow), and Fulci's The Beyond.

Haven't really seen any new movies this week, going to attempt some Frank Hennenlotter (Brain Damage & Bad biology) as watched Basket Case 1-3 and Frankenhooker last week. also have Torso on the shelf that's calling me for a re-watch, and the rest of the stack I mentioned in other threads...
You dug out some great movies there,but Pieces is just terrible. Everything else you watched I could watch.
Old 18th November 2012, 07:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
You dug out some great movies there,but Pieces is just terrible. Everything else you watched I could watch.
Whaaa?! You mean there are actually people out there who don't enjoy Pieces ? Does not compute . . .
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 18th November 2012, 07:03 PM
Active Cultist

The Terror Within -- nice little Corman 'Alien' rip off with a funny man-in-a-rubber suit monster (who is unstoppable, except for when up against the sound of a dog whistle). However I actually enjoyed

The Terror Within II a bit more for some reason. Practically the same film but had Lee. R Ermy in it chewing up a bit of scenery.

Lunacy -- insteresting if sometimes hard work film from Jan Svankmeyer. His stop motion is as always fun, although I'm not intelligent enough to understand the themes going on, it was quite memorable visually.
Old 18th November 2012, 07:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A double bill today. First up was Tetsuo (the recent UK BR), which I think is a remarkable piece of film making from the stark black and white photography, through the discordant and uncomfortable sound track to the wtf narrative this is an interesting analysis of our relationship with technology and the machines around us.

The second film was Christmas Evil or as the credits have it You better watch out (the arrow DVD). This is a film I hadn't seen before and I really liked it. Brandon Maggart portrayal of Harry's mental breakdown is excellent and while the film is perhaps a little short of the gore I had expected I think its a better film as a consequence. One to add to the festive viewing list.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy What films have you seen recently?

What films have you seen recently?

tonight's double bill Trading Places and The Cottage,I like'em both of em

cottage.jpgtrdplaces.jpg
Old 18th November 2012, 09:05 PM
Cult Addict

THE THOMPSONS.

They went and made a sequel to THE HAMILTONS??! When the hell did that happen. Like its predecessor its not as good as the review blurbs say, and theres some very dodgy acting and an at time surreal portrayal of the english in the movie but wierdly I found myself enjoying it nontheless. Don't expect a bona fide classic and you should be ok!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!