Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2012, 02:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I think the title of the final film sums up your recent viewing habits.
I would have gone for fifth from bottom, myself!

Eating Raoul, A Boy and His Dog, and Kin-Dza-Dza have comedy (albeit more dark) elements to them, so it hasn't all been serious stuff. Plus, of course, A Serious Man is a Coen's comedy (although I didn't think it was very good!)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th November 2012, 02:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A Serious Man is a Coen's comedy (although I didn't think it was very good!)
A Serious Man is unlike most of the Coen brothers previous output, but it's a film I like a great deal as a modern-day retelling of the story of Job and how, if he had a backbone, he would just yell "ENOUGH" and stop being such a doormat!
Old 18th November 2012, 02:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I would have gone for fifth from bottom, myself!

Eating Raoul, A Boy and His Dog, and Kin-Dza-Dza have comedy (albeit more dark) elements to them, so it hasn't all been serious stuff. Plus, of course, A Serious Man is a Coen's comedy (although I didn't think it was very good!)
I own non of your recent films, but used to have A Boy and his Dog on vhs
Old 18th November 2012, 02:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A Serious Man is unlike most of the Coen brothers previous output, but it's a film I like a great deal as a modern-day retelling of the story of Job and how, if he had a backbone, he would just yell "ENOUGH" and stop being such a doormat!
Yes, although I do like the Coen's output to a large extent, I just found this to be them taking the biblical fable and overdosing on the 'quirky' a little too much. Plus, the whole cutaway ending technique thing is getting a bit tiresome now.
Old 18th November 2012, 03:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bloody Murder (2000)

Completely worthless Friday the 13th rip off. A tale about the terrifying legend of Trevor Moorehouse a chainsaw wielding, hockey mask wearing figure who slaughters the counselors at Camp Placid Pines. This is woeful, the acting is shoddy, the kills bloodless and unimaginative and Moorehouse lacking scares.

What sort of a name is Trevor Moorhouse for a serial slaughterer anyway. He sounds like the owner of a small brewery in Victorian Lancashire.

Bloody Murder 2 (2003)

Set a couple of years after the original movie Bloody Murder 2 is more of the same. Fortunately this time they decided to use actors, thought a slasher film would benefit from some gore and threw in some nudity courtesy of Tiffany Shepis going starkers four times.

A vast improvement on the first film, but still extremely derivative. The plots identical in that Huddersfield mill owner Trevor Moorhouse turns up to kill the dim witted folks at Camp Placid Pines. Absolutely nothing you won't have seen many times before.

Junior (2003)

An Eastern European horror about two girls stranded in the middle of nowhere who unfortunately for them end up as the playthings of the masked psycho known as Junior. A reasonable film let down by its being made digitally, therefore everything looks so bright and false. The design of Junior is pretty creepy works well for me. Unfortunately this also lacks in the splatter department, rendering the film a little pointless.

Go for Laid to Rest for a superior viewing experience.

Deadly Species (2003)

A wealthy big game hunter leads a team of archeologists into the jungle on a fact finding mission. Not everything is as it seems though as a man in a dodgy rubber alien costume soon pops up and kills them off one by one.

The film makers tried with this film to give it a glossy look and some nice location photography certainly helps. Unfortunately they failed to hire any actors and Vic Dakin's masks look more realistic than the creature.

Over time would i watch these again? Probably Bloody Murder 2 as i'm a sucker for Tiffany Shepis. Junior and Deadly Species - well possibly in a few years when my memory fades. Bloody Murder? I really doubt it.

The set was probably worth the £4.50 delivered i paid. But only just.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51b4XuAJABL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (26.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th November 2012, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Raven....I quite liked this film and thought John Cusack was great as Poe.

Haywire....not a bad film but seriously, did anyone else find the music to be a bit annoying and totally out of place for this type of film?

Castle Freak

The Devil Inside....getting a bit sick of the amateur recording movies. They're becoming less creative and a tad boring.

chernobyl diaries

Safe......Jason Statham fans won't be disappointed with this. Good action film.
Old 18th November 2012, 03:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
The Raven....I quite liked this film and thought John Cusack was great as Poe.

Haywire....not a bad film but seriously, did anyone else find the music to be a bit annoying and totally out of place for this type of film?

Castle Freak

The Devil Inside....getting a bit sick of the amateur recording movies. They're becoming less creative and a tad boring.

chernobyl diaries

Safe......Jason Statham fans won't be disappointed with this. Good action film.
Saw this last night and couldn't agree more!
Old 18th November 2012, 04:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Bloody Murder (2000)

Completely worthless Friday the 13th rip off. A tale about the terrifying legend of Trevor Moorehouse a chainsaw wielding, hockey mask wearing figure who slaughters the counselors at Camp Placid Pines. This is woeful, the acting is shoddy, the kills bloodless and unimaginative and Moorehouse lacking scares.

What sort of a name is Trevor Moorhouse for a serial slaughterer anyway. He sounds like the owner of a small brewery in Victorian Lancashire.

Bloody Murder 2 (2003)

Set a couple of years after the original movie Bloody Murder 2 is more of the same. Fortunately this time they decided to use actors, thought a slasher film would benefit from some gore and threw in some nudity courtesy of Tiffany Shepis going starkers four times.

A vast improvement on the first film, but still extremely derivative. The plots identical in that Huddersfield mill owner Trevor Moorhouse turns up to kill the dim witted folks at Camp Placid Pines. Absolutely nothing you won't have seen many times before.

I wish I hadn't read this as I simply have to waste 3 hours watching these 2 films now!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th November 2012, 04:16 PM
Active Cultist

I've been watching Les Vampires all week - it's great, all the usual jumping out of high windows, exploding top hats, twirling moustaches, multiple disguises etc you get in silent movie crowd pleasers. I'll miss the shenanigans of Mazamette, Irma Vep, Guerande and the rest - all now long dead but chasing each other around in perpituity thanks to this great Kino blu ray.

On an unrelated matter I saw the first 15 minutes of Transformers Rise of the Fallen last night - I had no idea cinema could be this dreadful, just a barrage of shit cgi and explosions. Genuinely, Idiocracy has come to pass - we're a hairsbreadth away from 'Ow My Balls' being greenlighted. Also tried American Horror Story Asylum the hyped new US series which was also crap - that relentless MTV style flashy editing - God forbid a shot should last more than 5 seconds, the audience might nod off. No atmosphere or interesting characters or discernable story, nothing but a steaming load of shite in fact. I'II pass on this one.
Old 18th November 2012, 04:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dug out the AWE "Cannibal Collection" and re-watched Cannibal Holocaust (always great!), Cannibal Ferox (better than I remember it being), and Eaten alive (Erm...a bit hilarious!)

also watched William Lustig's Maniac (Elite DVD) and Pieces (Arrow), and Fulci's The Beyond.

Haven't really seen any new movies this week, going to attempt some Frank Hennenlotter (Brain Damage & Bad biology) as watched Basket Case 1-3 and Frankenhooker last week. also have Torso on the shelf that's calling me for a re-watch, and the rest of the stack I mentioned in other threads...

Like this? Share it using the links below!