Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2012, 12:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Not being the biggest fan of "the cruiser" excuse my ignorance (Magnolia sucks compared to Short Cuts IMO...)
I haven't seen Short Cuts, although I'm not a fan of Andie MacDowell either!
Old 19th March 2012, 12:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen Short Cuts, although I'm not a fan of Andie MacDowell either!
Altman over Anderson for me anyday..... Anyone seen Hard Eight btw?? easily the best thing that he's done....and this film contains my least favourite actress that's married to Chris Martin!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th March 2012, 01:25 PM
Cultist

Watched the 1982 Hong Kong film He Lives By Night yesterday, really good film, fun and really easy going considering its story. You could tell it had alot of the Aces Go Places influence behind it.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

La Orca
Excellent kidnap / plot movie with terrific performances all round. Great print from Camera Obscura.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Old Cruise gets a lot of stick nowadays (mainly for his personal beliefs) but for me, he's the quintessential movie star of our generation. He's got (a) good looks, (b) on and off-screen charisma, (c) a genuine affection for his own fans, (d) complete business savvy, (e) a huge box office draw and (f) a flawless working ethos. I've never heard a director or anyone say a bad thing about him.

Whilst he's made some schlock over the years (Cocktail, Far and Away, Days of Thunder, Mission: Impossible II), he's made some (IMO) great films (Rain Man, Mission: Impossible, Top Gun, Risky Business, Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai) and is not afraid to take a risk (Magnolia, Valkyrie, Lions for Lambs). Fair play to him I say! I'd say there's more Cruise films that I liked vs disliked.

On topic, tonight I'm off to see Contraband, so I'll post my thoughts later.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
he's made some (IMO) great films (Rain Man, Mission: Impossible, Top Gun, Risky Business, Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, The Last Samurai) .
You see, I'd say they were all dreadful follies, (except for the excellent Risky Business and the not bad Mission: Impossible) each quite as poor as, say, Cocktail or Far And Away. If you wanted to defend him then surely better films/performances to cite would be Eyes Wide Shut, The Color Of Money, The Outsiders and Collateral?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we may need a separate Tom Cruise thread!
Old 19th March 2012, 02:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Personally, I thought the Color of Money was awful, Scorsese's joint poorest film (alongside Kundun) for me. I meant to mention Eyes Wide Shut in the "taking a risk" bit, but obviously forgot! I think it's one of his strongest performances, and I don't understand the dislike for the film, from both a mainstream perspective and amongst Kubrick's followers. Collateral I forgot about, and The Outsiders is an ensemble piece rather than a Cruise vehicle.

I liked Vanilla Sky! And Rain Man is great, haha
Old 19th March 2012, 02:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I liked The Color Of Money but it is one of Scorsese's weakest for sure - however, I adore Kundun and think it one of the most under-rated films of recent years! I think Cruise's performance in The Color Of Money is one of his first genuinely good ones, though.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I liked The Color Of Money but it is one of Scorsese's weakest for sure - however, I adore Kundun and think it one of the most under-rated films of recent years! I think Cruise's performance in The Color Of Money is one of his first genuinely good ones, though.
I'll give it another go, it's been a long time since I've seen either to be honest. I think Kundun might have been on VHS!
Old 19th March 2012, 02:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Watched another from The Nazi Cult Collection last night.

Nathalie Rescued From Hell.

Another excellent print, and a really good example of Nazisploitation, if a little light on the exploitation. The film is coherant and enjoyable and fairly races along with some pretty good action scenes. Patrizia Gori who plays Nathalie is quite lovely.

Jacqueline Laurent as Frau hortz looks rather fetching in her dominatrix gear as well.

Very entertaining stuff.
Gojirosan and Demoncrat like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!