Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2012, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
That's a great list Nemesis, many thanks. Yeah, I've been pretty much sticking to the Eastern European stuff, the Czech and Hungarian stuff (just because funds are always tight), but I love the label so much I feel I could happily blind buy Second Run's catalogue. There's supposedly a stunning Czech Blu of Marketa Lazarova but so far have not found a place to grab it...my Czech being on the rusty side...
I don't know anything about this site, but it has been mentioned on blu-ray.com; it appears to be english friendly:

Markéta Lazarová - BRD | Bontonland.cz

Hope this may be of help.

Update: there's also this one:

VyhledávánÃ* (Terry posters)

Last edited by Nemesis; 21st November 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I don't know anything about this site, but it has been mentioned on blu-ray.com; it appears to be english friendly:

Markéta Lazarová - BRD | Bontonland.cz

Hope this may be of help.
Many thanks Nemesis, I'll try to find someone in the office tomorrow to walk me through it. I have the Russian Blu of Andrei Rublev and it's a beauty...
Old 21st November 2012, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I am also adding another site to my previous post that may be of help.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

KILLER JOE - Very impressive. Full of twisted men and women who plot against each other endlessly. Feels much less like a stage play than 'Bug', while the intensity of that film is still present. Moves its black heart along at an effortless pace. Great turns from Matthew McConaughey as psychopathic cop / hired killer and Juno Temple as his waifish ingenue victim. Recommended.
BEREAVEMENT - Prequel to its director's other slasher film. A slaughter house worker kidnaps a child who suffers from an inability to feel physical pain and takes him on as a murder-apprentice. Several killings follow etc. It's nice to see horror done seriously, and this plays as much like a character driven drama as a full on genre piece. Although it ticks a lot of boxes for me (sombre, relentlessly grim, telepathy involving animal skulls), I didn't find it entirely captivating. It's well made and acted, but I sometimes struggled to get into it. Maybe just one of those days. The killer's raison de massacre is pretty good - he dehumanises his victims on the basis of their own inability to empathise with animals.
HOUSE OF WHIPCORD - Speaking of sombre and relentlessly grim, this (sort of) WIP flick from P Walker's horror heyday still delivers for me. The more I see it, the more I feel it actually benefits from not being particularly sleazy or exploitative. It's a hysterically dour melodrama that couldn't have sprung from any other time than the seventies, and I find its central construct, the idea of a mad judiciary that's seperated itself from the world outside, fascinating and disturbing. Sheila Keith is always an intense presence in Walker's films, oozing forboding and venom. Like many of Walker's films it's a concoction of oil and water, with woodeness meeting intensity, interesting ideas rubbing up against cliche and, most strangely, potentially subversive notions mixed in with reactionary ones.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:08 PM
Cultist in Training

watched remake of the grudge for the first time. usure of it seems to be disjointed in a way and did get lost in it until the cop basicly told you what was going on. certainly not a bad film but feel not a film worthy of what it got in the box office
Old 21st November 2012, 09:51 PM
Cultist

Decalogue V - Krzysztof Kieślowski (1988)

I was impressed by this very,very dark story. Works on many levels. Great cinema (though it's actually made for TV)
Old 21st November 2012, 09:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

'Hound of the Baskervilles' (1939) Good fun!

'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' (1939) Enjoyed this one as well.

'Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror' (1942) The series moves from 20th Century Fox to Universal Pictures and is brought out of Victorian England and into contempory (at that time), war time Britain! Not too sure 'modern holmes' works, beyond the current BBC series. Apart from a great in joke revolving around Holmes's Deerstalker hat this came off as less of a movie and more of an old serial with Holmes pitted against the Nazis.

'Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon' (1943) Again more of a serial and again pitting Holmes against the nefarious Nazi's although in this one Moriaty returns.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
loads of mannequins and a giant vagina chasing a man up a flight of stairs.
I was hoping Lenzi's Spasmo would be on those lines.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:52 PM
Cult Addict

THE BAY.

Barry levinson does a found footage film by way of outbreak. Chronicles a deadly waterborne epidemic that breaks out at a 4th of july celebration, very grim depictions of medical horror and surprisingly plausible (froma laymans perspective) I thought this was actually very enjoyable in a grim sort of way.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Had a break from 42nd Street Forever to watch 12 Angry Men. Still expertly made and masterfully engrossing and quite possibly a contender in my top 10 films ever list were I ever forced to make one. Can't imagine Criterion's release will ever be bettered.

The girlfriend's now gone to bed so it's more whiskey and 42nd Street trash and sleaze.
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Wes like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!