Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2013, 09:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

Kick Ass 2

Really enjoyed this, as I knew I would. Builds on the first film really well and there are some great moments as Mindy tries to adjust to school life.Loads more heroes and villians to play with this time as Kick Ass joins the Justice Forever team against The MotherF*%$^r and his team of The Toxic Mega C*%^s. Great action, violence and some gross out moments. Make sure you stay until after the end credits.
sawyer6 and troggi like this.
Old 15th August 2013, 10:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Am interested to know what your "x"/10 rating would be for this one, troggi.
I really do apologise I had meant o give a rating but a little pooch was looking at me longingly for his walk so I felt pressured and forgot!

I think I was going to give it an impressive 18/10 but on reflection I did have some problems with dead blind girls running out of hotels like they had Daredevil's extra-sensory radar gift, only a slight niggle but it did bother me that she wasn't consistent with what she could and couldn't sense; 17/10 especially for the real and toy "jumping" spiders!

Monster Magnet
Old 15th August 2013, 10:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Kick Ass 2

Really enjoyed this, as I knew I would. Builds on the first film really well and there are some great moments as Mindy tries to adjust to school life.Loads more heroes and villians to play with this time as Kick Ass joins the Justice Forever team against The MotherF*%$^r and his team of The Toxic Mega C*%^s. Great action, violence and some gross out moments. Make sure you stay until after the end credits.
If it is faithful to the comic it should be superb and as Millar worked on the screenplay it should be!

Monster Magnet
Old 15th August 2013, 06:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Brotherhood of Blood (2007)

I didn't have fond memories of my first viewing of this dvd, part of the Region 1 Ghosthouse Underground range. Sure enough five years after my last viewing it hasn't improved at all. Clearly the producers had a few quid to splash, even though this is a low budget horrror, as they managed to hook Victoria Pratt, Jason Connery, Ken Foree and Sid Haig aboard, yet this film just doesn't work. One of my main issues with it are overlong scenes. Some of them run up to fifteen minutes at a time, which would be fine if they were full of snappy Tarantino-esq dialogue but that isn't the case here. In fact the bulk of the film concerns Pratt talking to Foree who is bound to a table. ken Foree is another problem, his overacting is amateurish at times and fails to build up any tension in scenes whatsoever. Meanwhile Connery and Haig are wasted with very little to do.

The pace of the film whilst pretty much at a standstill most of the time is hardly enlivened by terminally dull flashbacks as we lead up to the table tied situation. The film also has minimal blood which i always find off-putting in a modern vampire film.

I suppose the films main problem is its incredibly boring, which is the worst crime any film, not just horror, can commit. I can safely say there won't be a third viewing for this mess of a bloodless vamp flick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K3po3DSbfG.jpg (102.3 KB, 7 views)
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 15th August 2013, 06:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Manhattan Baby - 3.5/5

An underrated gem! Fulci at his most abstract, it made me feel a bit uneasy and creeped out, and it was cool how the soundtrack reused bits from his other horror films, like the evil is linked between them. This is the perfect antidote to all the horribly predictable and clichéd horror films coming out nowadays (like The Conjuring, total yawnfest), this is unpredictable and dream-like. Ancient Egypt is creepy
bdc, Wes, Frankie Teardrop and 2 others like this.
Old 15th August 2013, 06:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
Manhattan Baby - 3.5/5

An underrated gem! Fulci at his most abstract, it made me feel a bit uneasy and creeped out...
Great, it's the one Fulci I have left on my shelf unseen. Must grab a screening at the w/end...
sjconstable likes this.
Old 15th August 2013, 07:44 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE SEASONING HOUSE. Set in a brothel during the Balkans Conflict, this charts the tale of a deaf mute girl's eventual escape from her keeps and tormentors. Man, I'm getting so jaded, but I want more from a film where teenage girls are tied to beds, shot up full of heroin then raped by lumbering, anonymous hulks with dodgy accents. Too much time is spent in slow motion shots building up atmosphere when sheer, brutal unspeakable acts could have done it in half the time. That said, at around the 50 minute mark it all kicks off in a grand and bloody style that is maintained until the end. Recommended with reservations.
Wes, Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 15th August 2013, 07:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well I'm just back from 10 days in France and caught a really random selection of late night TV screenings - all of 'em dubbed en Francais but I persevered - among them the original Shaft, a beautiful restoration of Umbrellas of Cherbourg, with Catherine Deneuve at her most stunningly gorgeous, Picnic At Hanging Rock, and a really terrific 1977 French-Canadian thriller called La Menace, which features one of the most spectacular truck-goes-off-a-cliff set pieces I've seen in quite some time...

Old 15th August 2013, 08:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Brood arrived so my plans for the evening were cancelled so I could sit down and watch it again. Its a film that gets better with each viewing. Fantastic! Now could we have some of the other early Cronenberg oeuvre on Blu please?!
Old 15th August 2013, 08:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Brood arrived so my plans for the evening were cancelled so I could sit down and watch it again. Its a film that gets better with each viewing. Fantastic! Now could we have some of the other early Cronenberg oeuvre on Blu please?!
I saw "The Brood" in the cinema when it first hit these shores. Although I did enjoy it I had so many problems with it that I've never thought about getting it on DVD. After reading everyone's reviews though I may have to find it and re-watch it. Maybe I was distracted at the cinema by my companion!
keirarts likes this.

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!