Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2013, 11:34 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Viewings since my last update:

Shock Treatment - sort of 'sequel' to the Rocky Horror Picture Show which finds Brad and Janet experiencing a marital crisis while involved in an all-consuming tv show which has, quite literally, taken over their small town. A bigger box office flop than even the Rocky Horror Picture show, it never attained the same level of cult acclaim of its predecessor which is a shame because, unfair comparisons aside, it's a really great film. The songs are excellent, the satire on media manipulation and reality TV incredibly prophetic and the fact that it was all shot on a soundstage and we never leave the confines of the tv studio (a decision made possible only by the limitations of the production) gives it an oddly claustrophobic feel. It's not as 'out there' as RHPS but definitely worth a look and Jessica Harper does an excellent job at portraying a more self-assured Janet

Foxy Brown - still think I prefer Coffy but still a thoroughly excellent slice of blaxploitation. Still think the tagline should be "She's a feisty chick and she'll cut off your dick!" though.

Black Sabbath - I foolishly watched the AIP version of this which I gather isn't as good. I was less impressed with the last story but really enjoyed The Drop of Water and even The Telephone, although I gather the alternate version of the latter is very different. I must make an effort to clear my mind and watch the Italian version of the film soon

The World's End - a surprisingly moving and poignant end to Edgar Wright's ice cream-based trilogy. It deals well with the troubles of nostalgia and the unwillingness to grow up and yet manages to mix comedy with a sci-fi plot with some excellent choreographed fight sequences in too.

Hot Fuzz - gave this a watch after The World's End and think this might be my favourite of the three. I can't think of a film in recent years that's more densely packed with jokes and I love the way it takes various genre tropes and puts them all together to create something a bit different

The Evictors
- horror thriller starring Jessica Harper and Michael Parks as a married couple who move into a new house but become terrorised by a mysterious figure who presumably has some connection to the house. It does moments of tension really well and I was surprised at how creepy I found it, although films about home invasion and invasions of privacy always unnerve me

Tell No One - excellent French thriller about a man who starts to believe his murdered wife is still alive. It's very twisty-turning as layers upon layers are uncovered to get to the truth and is also really heart-breaking at the same time. I think I cried at the end. Sue me.

House - the Steve Miner one. The revisitation of a film I hadn't seen since my early teens. Darkly comedic with wonderful 80's plasticy effects and generally very silly. Top stuff.

Sharknado - think I already covered this but just to reiterate, being super-post-post-ironic and self-aware doesn't change the fact it's a tedious film which looks awful and trades off the craziness of its already tired concept. Bilge.

V/H/S
- again, already covered. Headache-inducing found footage film that doesn't have the courage or justification of its main concept and seems only to exist to appeal to genre fans nostalgic of the video format. Verdict: Eject

From Beyond - first time viewing of Stuart Gordon's icky Lovecraft adaptation. I'm quite ignorant of films based on Lovecraft's work but after this will be checking more of them out. I loved the 80s plastic-realism and the icky body-horror stuff makes me squirm in a way nothing else does. It's silly, over the top and at times ineptly directed (with one death scene a baffling case of "Why didn't he move out of the way?!" which so many horror films are guilty of) but it was short, sharp and delivered on the grue and guts.

Satan's Baby Doll - sigh. An all-over-the-place series of sexual set pieces strung together by a hamfisted plot involving possession. It manages to outstay its welcome even in its brief 75 minutes running time and even the most devout Italian exploitation purists will find little to get excited about.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Viewings since my last update:

Shock Treatment - sort of 'sequel' to the Rocky Horror Picture Show which finds Brad and Janet experiencing a marital crisis while involved in an all-consuming tv show which has, quite literally, taken over their small town. A bigger box office flop than even the Rocky Horror Picture show, it never attained the same level of cult acclaim of its predecessor which is a shame because, unfair comparisons aside, it's a really great film. The songs are excellent, the satire on media manipulation and reality TV incredibly prophetic and the fact that it was all shot on a soundstage and we never leave the confines of the tv studio (a decision made possible only by the limitations of the production) gives it an oddly claustrophobic feel. It's not as 'out there' as RHPS but definitely worth a look and Jessica Harper does an excellent job at portraying a more self-assured Janet

Foxy Brown - still think I prefer Coffy but still a thoroughly excellent slice of blaxploitation. Still think the tagline should be "She's a feisty chick and she'll cut off your dick!" though.

Black Sabbath - I foolishly watched the AIP version of this which I gather isn't as good. I was less impressed with the last story but really enjoyed The Drop of Water and even The Telephone, although I gather the alternate version of the latter is very different. I must make an effort to clear my mind and watch the Italian version of the film soon

The World's End - a surprisingly moving and poignant end to Edgar Wright's ice cream-based trilogy. It deals well with the troubles of nostalgia and the unwillingness to grow up and yet manages to mix comedy with a sci-fi plot with some excellent choreographed fight sequences in too.

Hot Fuzz - gave this a watch after The World's End and think this might be my favourite of the three. I can't think of a film in recent years that's more densely packed with jokes and I love the way it takes various genre tropes and puts them all together to create something a bit different

The Evictors
- horror thriller starring Jessica Harper and Michael Parks as a married couple who move into a new house but become terrorised by a mysterious figure who presumably has some connection to the house. It does moments of tension really well and I was surprised at how creepy I found it, although films about home invasion and invasions of privacy always unnerve me

Tell No One - excellent French thriller about a man who starts to believe his murdered wife is still alive. It's very twisty-turning as layers upon layers are uncovered to get to the truth and is also really heart-breaking at the same time. I think I cried at the end. Sue me.

House - the Steve Miner one. The revisitation of a film I hadn't seen since my early teens. Darkly comedic with wonderful 80's plasticy effects and generally very silly. Top stuff.

Sharknado - think I already covered this but just to reiterate, being super-post-post-ironic and self-aware doesn't change the fact it's a tedious film which looks awful and trades off the craziness of its already tired concept. Bilge.

V/H/S
- again, already covered. Headache-inducing found footage film that doesn't have the courage or justification of its main concept and seems only to exist to appeal to genre fans nostalgic of the video format. Verdict: Eject

From Beyond - first time viewing of Stuart Gordon's icky Lovecraft adaptation. I'm quite ignorant of films based on Lovecraft's work but after this will be checking more of them out. I loved the 80s plastic-realism and the icky body-horror stuff makes me squirm in a way nothing else does. It's silly, over the top and at times ineptly directed (with one death scene a baffling case of "Why didn't he move out of the way?!" which so many horror films are guilty of) but it was short, sharp and delivered on the grue and guts.

Satan's Baby Doll - sigh. An all-over-the-place series of sexual set pieces strung together by a hamfisted plot involving possession. It manages to outstay its welcome even in its brief 75 minutes running time and even the most devout Italian exploitation purists will find little to get excited about.
I quite like 'Shock treatment' too , and like you say i think it has become even more impressive when you look at todays society. I still prefer RHPS of course but quite like Jessica Harper as Janet, i've got a bit of a thing for her because of this, 'Suspiria' and 'Phantom of the Paradise', will have to check out The 'Evictors' sometime.

Personally i liked the Boris Karloff story from 'Black Sabbath' the most, i'm a sucker for period horror stories and absolutely adore Boris so that probably had something to do with it, also it's quite an unusual take on the vampire legend.
So glad to have a good copy of this masterpiece finally.
Love 'From beyond' ,If you haven't seen them check out 'Re-animator' and 'Dagon' as soon as possible, great films. (i also quite like 'Bride of re-animator' although many others don't, but 'Beyond Re-animator ' didn't do it for me).
Also if you go for body horror 'Society' is a must.

Love all the Cornetto trilogy. Modern classics.
Used to like 'House' when i was a teenager and was thinking the other day that i need to re-watch this although i could never be arsed with the sequels.
Was thinking about checking out 'Satan's baby doll', probably still will at some point because the trailer makes it look enjoyable, i like dodgy eurotrash films.
As for 'V/H/S' and 'Sharknado' they never appealed to me anyway but i will steer well clear after listening to everyone here.
PaulD likes this.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:42 PM
Cult Addict

dopp.jpg

Watched this last night, hadn't seen it since it came out on video years ago.
Not a bad little film, pretty well acted and well made and interesting. The ending had a few little twists and some creature effects( which were good in the transformation but a little less successful in the final result).
Oh and Drew Barrymore with her hooha's out whilst having a blood shower.
Well worth a watch in my opinion. 7/10.
PaulD, Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Oh and Drew Barrymore with her hooha's out whilst having a blood shower.
I normally wear clothes when i'm in the shower don't you?

I keep meaning to pick this up, like you i haven't seen it since the vhs days. Poison Ivy was another one, but i picked up a box set a few years ago.
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 16th August 2013, 03:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Last House in the Woods (2006)

Another in the Ghosthouse Underground series. This is as far away from yesterdays Brotherhood of Blood as you can get in levels of enjoyment. Again, a second viewing, but this is a film likely to receive many more.

You can tell from its title, Italian film The Last House in the Woods would have loved to been made thirty years ago and been a house on the left, the beach or on the edge of the park. Its a film which is heavily influenced by all these other sleaze classics not to mention The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Burial Ground. The film pays its dues to these films whilst carving an identity all of its own.

The Last House in the Woods is a film populated by normal folk who turn out to be wierdo's and wierdo's who turn out to be, well, wierdo's. On the reverse of the sleeve horror geek Chas Balun calls this the "Goriest Italian film in years". For fifty minutes of the films duration i was beginning to suspect he'd been watching another film entirely then it suddenly leaves the woods and becomes The Last House in Texas as chainsaws are wielded, stomachs are gutted, and much, much more. Special effects genius Sergio Stivaletti really has fun from this point onwards. As AC/DC declared "If You Want Blood...You've Got It".

Recommended to fans of Italian horror and gore hounds alike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36fc385494b4901ee8cdf41.jpg (69.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th August 2013, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Top review Dem! Not heard of this but will definitely check it out, especially due to Stivaletti's involvement
troggi likes this.
Old 16th August 2013, 04:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Top review Dem! Not heard of this but will definitely check it out, especially due to Stivaletti's involvement
Thanks Paul.

There's a few pics on The Film Stills Thread if people want an idea of the film.
troggi likes this.
Old 16th August 2013, 04:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Looks good, I'll be checking that out at some point
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th August 2013, 04:13 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've just realised, I actually have this! God, that's an indictment of my "To Watch" pile isn't it? Will bump it up in the priority list now
Rik, Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 16th August 2013, 04:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've just realised, I actually have this! God, that's an indictment of my "To Watch" pile isn't it? Will bump it up in the priority list now
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!