Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2014, 10:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Battleship (2012) - Eventually gotten round to seeing this. I like the basic premise but it really was a movie for the masses! As to why Rihanna was in it I don't and Neeson obviously did it for the paycheck. All that was missing was Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, a Mac laptop and a USB port! Still it was better than 'Sky Line' and 'The Darkest Hour'
keirarts and Handyman Joe like this.
Old 24th August 2014, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Le Mans (1971)

More a documentary about the world famous 24 hour car race than an actual film. Barely a word is spoken throughout and the film is largely plotless. However the excellent race photography maintains the viewers interest and the final couple of laps are gripping viewing.

True to the spirit of motor sport, without any cheesy plot devices, and as fresh today as it was forty three years ago, this Steve McQueen vehicle will either be a true classic or barely register on the interest scale depending on your love of motor sport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Le Mans (1971).jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 24th August 2014, 10:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Le Mans (1971)

More a documentary about the world famous 24 hour car race than an actual film. Barely a word is spoken throughout and the film is largely plotless. However the excellent race photography maintains the viewers interest and the final couple of laps are gripping viewing.

True to the spirit of motor sport, without any cheesy plot devices, and as fresh today as it was forty three years ago, this Steve McQueen vehicle will either be a true classic or barely register on the interest scale depending on your love of motor sport.
Never seen this but was thinking of adding it to my cinema history project!
Old 25th August 2014, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Silent Madness (1984, Simon Nuchtern)

Whooo mama. Always remembered this cover (see attached pic) from back in the day (CBS Fox I was sure?), so felt twould be worth a poke. Recommended to certain folks on here, as this is high grade schlock (well, an u/c print certainly haha, this is trimmed verily). Doogie Howser's mum gets suspicious when a computer foul up means the wrong patient is released from the asylum she works at. Hightailing it to the scene of the crime (pursued by two lunkheaded "assistants"...the hospital authorities are keen on a cover up!! etc)...which is a sorority house natch. The inhabitants are the usual crew (slut, mouse, brain etc....but since they are so poorly written, I may have got those descriptions wrong entirely haha). Anyhow, as the doc gets nae cut from a half cut Sydney Lassick (the town drunk/sheriff). Yep, that's right Sydney Lassick. They are doomed I tells ye....

Apparently filmed in 3D!!! According to the credits anyhow.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meh.jpg (45.9 KB, 0 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th August 2014, 01:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Attachment 143239

Give the amount of remakes and re-imaginings, re-boots and generally re-pulsive films polluting the market these days it's hardly a surprise that Patrick would get an aussie remake given that Mad max aside its one of the most well known Oz-sploitation films out there. While not a patch on the origional, the remake is still worth checking out as it falls under 'not that bad when viewd objectively' banner.

sharni Vinson from You're next plays a nurse starting work at a hospital dedicated to treating coma patients. Run by Dr Roget, played superbly by Charles dance, the clinic is devoted to finding a way of restoring people in a persistant vegitive state. One of the star patients is Patrick, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that theres more to patrick than meets the eye.

Setting aside the film its a remake of, Patrick offers a gloomy gothic atmosphere, some decent deaths and is reasonable well paced enough to not be boring. Some of the effects however are very ropey, including the final death and the film works more as an interesting 'see it if you get the opportunity' film, rather than any sort of bona fide classic.

Personally though I'd save your coins for the original as its out in a nice blu-ray edition.
Noted.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th August 2014, 05:58 PM
Active Cultist

Here's a mixed bag -

The Cobweb (1955) - imagine this movie being pitched today - 'a drama revolving around the replacement of the library drapes in a mental institution'. Indeed imagine it being commissioned in 1955! Wait a minute though, look at the cast - 3 film noir legends Richard Widmark, Lauren Bacall and Gloria Grahame. Directed by Mr Prestige Picture Vicente Minnelli. I enjoyed it's serious minded yet somewhat ridiculous (in a good way) approach and the 'physician heal thyself' message is still pretty contemporary when you look at the state of care across the UK. This is on the Warner Archive label in all it's lurid 50s postcard style Eastmancolour glory, although I wish Grindhouse Releasing could do a similar job as The Swimmer and get it out on blu ray.

The Big Clock (1946) - The Big Crock for me, Ray Milland at his most insipid and Charles Laughton at his most hammy and disinterested in a dull set of rote cliches. One to avoid for Noir fans

I Walk Alone - (1948, I think) Burt Lancaster v Kirk Douglas, what more needs to be said - film noir heaven! I love the scene where Burt's old school hard man is bamboozled by the realities of corporate business when he goes to claim his 50% of Douglas's nightclub and is offered 8%, subject to approval by the trustees - 'Don't dizzy me, Dink....!'

Hanna (2011) - more plot holes and dangling threads than is decent or conceivable but for once I didn't care - the visuals and thumping soundtrack plus a few interesting wrinkles (a girly bonding interlude in a new age camping ground for example and a psycho horribly reminiscent of that wee guy from Fat Families) made for a pretty enjoyable couple of hours. Take it the sequels not happening? Shame if so.
Old 25th August 2014, 06:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Horror aka The Blancheville Monster (1963)

Emily De Blanchville returns to her ancestral home to find things a little different to when she left. Where is her father? And why is she doomed to become victim to an ancient family curse on her upcoming twenty first birthday?

Horror aka The Blancheville Monster is a classic example of Italian Gothic horror, indeed it's a classic example of Gothic horror full stop. The film is almost like a check list of everything that is great about the genre, yet it is put together so well none of it feels cliched. Brilliantly directed by Alberto De Martino with a delightful script, loosely based on Poe's Premature Burial from Sergio Corbucci. It's alluringly filmed, highly atmospheric and showcases why Gothic horror captures my imagination so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-blancheville-monster.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 25th August 2014, 07:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood Sabbath (1972)

David, a Vietnam veteran, is walking through the woods one day when he is nearly knocked down by a hippie-bus, is sprayed with beer, and then shortly afterwards is accosted by lots of naked women who rob him. He awakes to find a beautiful water nymph tending over him. Smitten, David tries to learn all he can about this mysterious girl and in the process stumbles across a coven of witches, headed by Dyanne 'Ilsa' Thorne who inhabit the surrounding area, and whose main purpose in life concerns stealing children's souls and dancing around topless in black underwear all day long.

After learning that he and his mysterious nymph cannot be together in the mortal world due to him having a soul, David offers his soul as a trade for that of a child so that he and his water-dwelling fancy piece can be together forever.

At its core, Blood Sabbath is a tale of two beings attempting to overcome all obstacles to be together, this is however wrapped up in a dreamy, trippy, hippie ensemble of set pieces consisting mainly of lesbian witchcraft rituals and bongo music, with references to Vietnam peppered throughout. Truly one groovy little psychedelic head-trip of a film.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 07:47 PM
Cult Addict

Deliver us from evil

Eric bana is a no nosense cop who discovers his latest case is a litte different. Slowly he begins to realise the chief suspect is demonically posessed and leaving a trail of posessed nutcases in his wake.

While its not going to do anything revolutionary for horror Scott dericksons occult chiller is an entertaining enough pot boiler with a nice gloomy atmosphere and a seedy depiction of New York I havent seen in cinema for a while. With Sin City 2 ect playing this ones probably not going to be a big hit but its worth a look if you get the chance.
Old 25th August 2014, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Raid 2

Terrific sequel - it may not be as tightly constructed as the first one, but for me, it may have more rewatchability. I went in, thinking that events would turn out a certain way after the first five minutes; instead, I got it completely wrong and I'm glad that I did. You can easily detect the influences of the Godfather and Infernal Affairs in this, but nevertheless it works as a whole and is put together incredibly well; the action sequences are particularly well edited in the second half. Bangun made a solid Godfather figure, and you also have some great supporting characters as well- Eka, Prakhoso, Bejo and his henchmen. It had excitement that most 21st actions thrillers should have, yet don't.

Another thing that I've liked about these both films is how inconsistent the fighting is - most characters get to fight, not just the lead. Rama does not always win all his fights; supporting characters can win and if not, do incredibly well even if they lose.

If Raid 3 does happen, it'll be interesting to see where they go after this; but it may not be such a bad thing to bow out on a high, either.

Like this? Share it using the links below!