Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You boil babies?
yes have you not tried them.lovely with some ketchup
Old 15th July 2014, 04:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just finished watching Under the Skin – the second time I've seen it – and it's a brilliant film, which is all the better for its ambiguity (there aren't any answers in the extra features), relying on breathtaking visuals and excellent performances, particularly by Scarlett Johansson, to keep you engrossed through the film's running time.
Old 15th July 2014, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Naked gun. 9/10

Naked gun 2 the smell of fear 7.5/10

What about bob 7/10

Odd Thomas 8/10

Next up two films I have not seen before

Tucker and Dale vs evil
The dark half.

Also has anyone seen red state with john goodman?
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:25 PM
Cult Rookie

Finally watched Metropolis (MOC release)

All I can say is..wow. I was really blown away by the attention to detail and thoughfulness Fritz Lang put into this movie. To say it was well put together would be a disservice. It's more than that, timeless and though provoking (""The mediator between head and hands must be the heart!") and just plain fun. As this was my first silent movie ever, I was expecting it to be a long and tedious affair, but it wasn't.

I was also very much impressed with the way the credits started; slow swelling orchestral music with an amazing visualization of the title and then blending into factory madness (I loved the music being synced with the clock btw), those things made it stand out and I can see why a lot of directors took their mark from this movie.

I gave this movie 4 out of 5 stars on Letterboxd.

Last edited by dynel; 15th July 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Naked gun. 9/10

Naked gun 2 the smell of fear 7.5/10

What about bob 7/10

Odd Thomas 8/10

Next up two films I have not seen before

Tucker and Dale vs evil
The dark half.

Also has anyone seen red state with john goodman?
RED STATE is fantastic until the end when Kevin Smith can't contain himself any longer and throws in a couple of knob jokes which killed the film for me. It is certainly worth watching, Smith really proves himself as a serious film maker outside of the comedy genre with it.
keirarts, J Harker and MrRange like this.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Chain Reaction (1996)

An underrated Keanu Reeves star vehicle in which he plays a scientist who develops a revolutionary source of energy and goes on the run with colleague Rachel Weisz after they are framed in a maze of government cover ups, espionage and murder. Morgan Freeman and Brian Cox add heavyweight acting credentials to proceedings.

Any plot loopholes or scientific techno-babble is counterbalanced by some edge of the seat suspense and thrilling set pieces which are directed with style by The Fugitive director Andrew Davis. When all is combined we have a rather tasty second tier action film from the decade of action films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4CvuAGYrJUUVOuYoEf4Z9U4AESF.jpg (102.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 16th July 2014, 06:00 AM
Active Cultist

Another 5 quick noir review and, in case a Mr Demdike is reading, I won't compare any old actors to newer ones!

Born to Kill -Lantern jawed Lawrence Tierney, the boss in Reservoir Dogs meets his match in Clair Trevor's twisted sister. Hard boiled as old leather, a classic

Crisis Cross - decent young Burt Lancaster and sleazy Dan Dureya chewed up and spat out by sceming dame. Great heist noir, looks beautiful

While the City Sleeps - a misstep from Fritz Lang - unconvincing, plodding media based killer hunt. Dana Andrews appears pissed throughout.

Gun Crazy - hell yeah, incredible lovers on the lam prototype. Peggy Cummins, also from Night of the Demon is sensational as the bad girl. Like a live action comic strip and I mean that as a compliment.

D.OA. - a nutty fever dream of a film, I absolutely adored this one - check Neville Brands psycho turn and the crazed use of sound effects. Anyone thinking old movies means boring should be directed to this, which out Lynches Lynch at times.
Old 16th July 2014, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The dark half

adaptation of the king novel directed by George Romero a long time since I've read the book so don't know how close to the book it is, enjoyed it but was dispointed in the ending. It just ended with the main character wanted for a number a murders with no evidence etc to clear his name. 8/10

Tucker and dale vs evil

With have a couple of lovably hillbillys that are mistaking for psychopathic killers by a bunch of stupid collage kids. A very funny movie that turns the usual backwoods/ hillbilly killers on its head. 8.5/10

Now watching the innkeepers
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!