Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2013, 08:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

An AMICUS film in all but name.Peter Cushing tries to convince Ray Milland that cats are not all they seem.Three stories. The first is my favorite in which Susan Penhaligon tries to steal the new will from her bedridden employer.
Old 9th September 2013, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm

My favourite of the series, has a fantastic atmosphere and great music score and the tall man is very creepy and one of the great monsters of horror. BOY! 9.5/10

Phantasm two
For me does not have the atmosphere and weirdness of the first film, more like a action road movie, but some great kills especially how the tall man is dispatched. 7/10

The evil dead trap

Excellent, for me it has a very Argento vibe to it, can't wait to see if the second part is just as good. 9.5/10
Old 9th September 2013, 09:05 PM
Cult Addict

vanished.jpg

A 50p from Cash Generator job. Pleasantly surprised. A Japanese horror that's a sort of cross between Village of the damned and night of the devils. A group of kids dissapeared en masse and now keep returning 'different'. Supurb opening scene and while not perfect is definitely worth giving a try.
Old 9th September 2013, 09:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Telling - what looked like a sorority slasher turned out to be an anthology story. To become accepted into the exclusive Delta Mega Bitchy Kappa Whatever sorority 3 girls have to tell the sisters a horror story each as part of their pledge. Cue tedious tales of a killer doll, a past-her-prime actress who becomes immortalised forever on film as a member of the undead and a really typical stalk-and-slash story involving three idiotic girls and a cable repair man with a penchant for smelling women's panties. Dross of the highest order which I only watched because it was late, it was on Netflix and it was only 84 minutes long. There's a twist at the end but if you didn't figure it out you're not paying attention. I need to stop doing this to myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (12.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 9th September 2013, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The Telling - what looked like a sorority slasher turned out to be an anthology story. To become accepted into the exclusive Delta Mega Bitchy Kappa Whatever sorority 3 girls have to tell the sisters a horror story each as part of their pledge. Cue tedious tales of a killer doll, a past-her-prime actress who becomes immortalised forever on film as a member of the undead and a really typical stalk-and-slash story involving three idiotic girls and a cable repair man with a penchant for smelling women's panties. Dross of the highest order which I only watched because it was late, it was on Netflix and it was only 84 minutes long. There's a twist at the end but if you didn't figure it out you're not paying attention. I need to stop doing this to myself.
I'm with you on this Paul, it is just so tempting to watch any old shite on Netflix in some vain hope of discovering something of interest. While I'm not enjoying many of the films I've been watching, I am enjoying the freedom of not caring what I watch.
Old 9th September 2013, 09:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'm with you on this Paul, it is just so tempting to watch any old shite on Netflix in some vain hope of discovering something of interest. While I'm not enjoying many of the films I've been watching, I am enjoying the freedom of not caring what I watch.
The US Netflix in particular is full of woeful low-budget straight-to-dvd horror/thrillers which I'm addicted to. I was going to justify it by saying at least we're only wasting time, but that's more valuable really isn't it? Ah well.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been in a Greek mythology mood just recently, so have watched these:

Medea (1969) - 3.5/5

Stunning costumes and locations with interesting sound design, seems about as authentic as a film based on Greek mythology could be, but not a great deal happens overall which is why it perhaps stops short of being 'great'. Will definitely watch again sometime.

Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - 3/5

Enjoyable adventure with fantastic effects, but ends abruptly.

Clash of the Titans (1981) - 2.5/5

Not quite as good, it's a bit more daft and doesn't have as much of a Greek feel, the Medusa scene was cool.

Clash of the Titans (2010) - 0/5

Had to turn it off, simply obnoxious. Doesn't pay any attention to the mythology, doesn't have an ounce of Greece in it, and might as well be a LOTR film (but shite).

Any recommendations? I wish Pasolini had made more, would have loved to have seen his take on Medusa (without snakes for hair, naturally).
Old 9th September 2013, 10:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The US Netflix in particular is full of woeful low-budget straight-to-dvd horror/thrillers which I'm addicted to. I was going to justify it by saying at least we're only wasting time, but that's more valuable really isn't it? Ah well.
This is the true grindhouse experience (for want of a better phrase) for modern living, endlessly watching any zero budget cack thrown up on the screen in the comfort of your own home. I'll take this any day over all the new releases of old films people endlessly talk about on here. Hell, I'll go as far to say this is film viewing as exploration into new frontiers of the bland, cinema as endurance test. Any fool can watch excessive gore and violence or iffy moral content. It takes a special person to wade throw the extremely shallow waters of the direct to DVD world.
PaulD and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:02 PM
Cult Addict

So Friday night, Hammer Horror with Countess Dracula. One of the weaker Hammers I've seen. Would have benefited from more of the blood actually being on the screen. Ingrid Pitt was pretty good as the old Countess though and the closing scene with her in dungeon gazing pitifully up through the bars was quite haunting.
Saturday night, Hot Tub Time Machine.
Oh dear. Endless f words and over the top crudity do not automatically make for funny. Don't get me wrong I'm no prude but you can't make a script of nothing but f words.
Shame because i thought there was a lot of potential and it was nice to see Chevy Chase on the big screen again.
And tonight, Django director Sergio Corbucci's The Great Silence. Brilliant and unusual western set almost entirely in a snowbound Utah village. Only actor I recognized was Klaus Kinski but the rest of the relatively small cast were great. My dvd is a Eureka release, don't know if they've still got the rights but if ever a film deserved to be seen in high definition it's this. Highly recommended.
troggi likes this.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The US Netflix in particular is full of woeful low-budget straight-to-dvd horror/thrillers which I'm addicted to.
This sounds like half of my dvd collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
This is the true grindhouse experience (for want of a better phrase) for modern living, endlessly watching any zero budget cack thrown up on the screen in the comfort of your own home. I'll take this any day over all the new releases of old films people endlessly talk about on here. Hell, I'll go as far to say this is film viewing as exploration into new frontiers of the bland, cinema as endurance test. Any fool can watch excessive gore and violence or iffy moral content. It takes a special person to wade throw the extremely shallow waters of the direct to DVD world.
This! 100% this!

Except with me its not via Netflix, i actually buy this rubbish and i love it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!