Lion King
101 Dalmatians
Peter Pan
Wall-E
Ratatoullie
Fox and the Hound
Beauty and the Beast
?
Good list and most of them be things I'd already thought of or tried. Thanks Bdc.
bdc likes this.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Good list and most of them be things I'd already thought of or tried. Thanks Bdc.
He thought Finding Nemo and WALL-E were so suitable he recommended them twice!

I agree with his recommendations and it basically comes down to the Pixar and animated Disney films – most things with a U certificate which you think your son would like and wouldn't cause him to have nightmares (some of them have some scary scenes but as long as you are there to comfort him and explain it's going to be okay that should be fine).

I'd also add the Aardman films like the Wallace and Gromit ones (particularly if he likes Shaun the Sheep) and Chicken Run might be okay.
bdc likes this.
Old 29th July 2013, 02:59 PM
Cult Addict

Thing is he doesn't always like the stuff you'd expect. The Disney and Pixar stuff doesnt hold his interest for long. Maybe odd bits but not in the whole. He really like the teasers for Pixars new one Planes at the moment. His favourite stuff is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and other cartoons on the disney channel.
Old 29th July 2013, 03:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Freaks (1932)

Mark Of The Vampire (1935)

The Mask Of Fu Manchu (1932)

Dr X (1932)

The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

The Return Of Dr X (1939)

Mad Love (1935)

The Devil Doll (1936)
I take it you've got the 'Hollywood legends of horror collection' then, not a bad little box set i thought. Bought that primarily for Mad Love which i think is a Fantastic little film and one of my favourites of the old B&W classic horrors, don't think it's ever been released on british dvd.
Still haven't got round to watching The Dr X films although i'm sure i saw one once when they used to have horror double bills on TV in the eighties.
As for the other films i enjoyed them all. Freaks and the most dangerous game are favourites of mine too.
troggi likes this.
Old 29th July 2013, 03:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Sorry Prince, I wasn't meaning to cause you any upset, and I can assure you I wasn't making a laughing matter of it. Simply pointing out that it's far too late to ensure that he's exposed to no tv at all. While I don't think for a moment any child should be plonked in front of a tv 24/7 I also don't believe that in moderation there is any harm to be done.
Wait until he's a bit older to show him the terrifying "Dougal and the Blue Cat", it took my little girl ages to get over the trauma and she was 5 then!
Demoncrat likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 29th July 2013, 03:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Thing is he doesn't always like the stuff you'd expect. The Disney and Pixar stuff doesnt hold his interest for long. Maybe odd bits but not in the whole. He really like the teasers for Pixars new one Planes at the moment. His favourite stuff is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and other cartoons on the disney channel.
When my boy was about 18 months he would not sleep and one morning he woke me up particularly early and I put the tv on for myself went to make a cuppa and got back to hysterical giggling from Joe, Pingu was on! Later that day I went and bought a Pingu VHS, he never looked at it again. He always was a contrary Mary!

Monster Magnet
Old 29th July 2013, 03:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Murder By Phone aka Bells (1982). The priest from The Thorn Birds and the storyteller from The Fog take on an evil corporation in this cheeeeeeeeeesy corker. Loved it purely for the knock off Scanners style FX and the cop character with his snide dialogue. It's on the list!!

Snowbeast (2011). One of the original Dukes of Hazzard and his motley crew (geeky tech? check! sullen moaning daughter? Check! cute "fellow scientist/love interest"? Check!) take on a septic Yeti. Never before have I seen so many people who work in snowy landscapes fall over as much. Not as good as Frostbiter. But then what is?

Animal Kingdom (2010). Was worth staying up for (and the ad breaks were very short, bonus!) Not as visceral as Snowtown, but worth the wait, Guy Pierce acquiting himself well in a thankless role etc. Recommended to Underbelly/Aus film fans!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th July 2013, 04:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Well, lasts nights viewing went from the sublime to the ridiculous. I started with Michael Hanekes 'Hidden' which in my opinion is one of the greatest films of the past twenty years. A well-off Parisian couple, Georges and Ann, receive video tapes which start off showing their home, further tapes become even more sinister and hint at a deep understanding of Georges past. In my opinion the film is about guilt, both personal and national. A lot of people dislike the film because the mystery of who sent the tapes is never really explained. There are subtle hints dropped throughout, including one in the closing scene which I never picked up on before, but it's all very ambiguous. The thing is, I'm not sure it's that important, the films themes are what makes 'Hidden' such a powerful film, the tapes were just a way to get there.

Next up, thanks to Hawkmonger's 'Worst Movies' thread, was 'The Wicker Tree'. As I said in that thread, I'm a huge fan of Hardy's 'The Wicker Man' in fact it's probably one of my favourite films, regardless of genre. The Wicker Tree was a film I'd been looking forward to since it was greenlit. I was very, very disappointed.

As I inexplicably bought it on DVD I thought I'd revisit it, maybe I just wasn't in the mood ? Well, it's even worse than I remember, just an utter mess from beginning to end. It doesn't even have the decency to be 'so bad it's good'. I find enjoyment in some terrible films, I thought Zombie Lake was entertaining, Mother Of Tears always cheers me up, but The Wicker Tree is not only bad it's terribly dull. Awful.
Old 29th July 2013, 04:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Well, lasts nights viewing went from the sublime to the ridiculous. I started with Michael Hanekes 'Hidden' which in my opinion is one of the greatest films of the past twenty years. A well-off Parisian couple, Georges and Ann, receive video tapes which start off showing their home, further tapes become even more sinister and hint at a deep understanding of Georges past. In my opinion the film is about guilt, both personal and national. A lot of people dislike the film because the mystery of who sent the tapes is never really explained. There are subtle hints dropped throughout, including one in the closing scene which I never picked up on before, but it's all very ambiguous. The thing is, I'm not sure it's that important, the films themes are what makes 'Hidden' such a powerful film, the tapes were just a way to get there.

Next up, thanks to Hawkmonger's 'Worst Movies' thread, was 'The Wicker Tree'. As I said in that thread, I'm a huge fan of Hardy's 'The Wicker Man' in fact it's probably one of my favourite films, regardless of genre. The Wicker Tree was a film I'd been looking forward to since it was greenlit. I was very, very disappointed.

As I inexplicably bought it on DVD I thought I'd revisit it, maybe I just wasn't in the mood ? Well, it's even worse than I remember, just an utter mess from beginning to end. It doesn't even have the decency to be 'so bad it's good'. I find enjoyment in some terrible films, I thought Zombie Lake was entertaining, Mother Of Tears always cheers me up, but The Wicker Tree is not only bad it's terribly dull. Awful.
Hidden is a masterpiece.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th July 2013, 04:28 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Rebecca Saw a clip of this last Christmas and it intrigued me so on my list it went! The cinematography screams for a MOC release
The MGM US Blu-ray is excellent and region-free.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.

Last edited by Prince_Vajda; 29th July 2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: MGM is the correct lable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!