Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2012, 12:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Today It's Me...Tomorrow You/Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die!

Superior 1968 SW is one of the handful of films (his first and the only western) directed by writer/producer Tonino Cervi. An excellent cast on top of their game and a decent script with some fine, terse dialogue ("Don't talk, shoot...and shoot to kill..."), but the real star is the cinematography. The film looks wonderful, particularly in the extended climactic shoot-out sequence which occurs in a dense Autumn wood in daylight and at night. The man behind the camera was Sergio D'Offizi.

And the chance to see the great Tatsuya Nakadai in an Italian Western with the likes of Brett Halsey, William Berger and Bud Spencer is one surely no-one wants to miss!
Pete likes this.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 28th May 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Today It's Me...Tomorrow You!/Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die!

Superior 1968 SW is one of the handful of films (his first and the only western) directed by writer/producer Tonino Cervi. An excellent cast on top of their game and a decent script with some fine, terse dialogue ("Don't talk, shoot...and shoot to kill..."), but the real star is the cinematography. The film looks wonderful, particularly in the extended climactic shoot-out sequence which occurs in a dense Autumn wood in daylight and at night. The man behind the camera was Sergio D'Offizi.

And the chance to see the great Tatsuya Nakadai in an Italian Western with the likes of Brett Halsey, William Berger and Bud Spencer is one surely no-one wants to miss!
I've seen this but I can't remember a thing about it, other than it was co-written by Dario Argento, a white horse being tripped over and that Brett Halsey is credited as Montgomery Ford.

I sold it to someone on here. Was it you?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 28th May 2012, 12:40 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I can't remember a thing about this one, other than it was co-written by Dario Argento and that Brett Halsey is credited as Montgomery Ford or something.

I sold it to someone on here. Was it you?

May have been. I can't remember which AWE I got from you and which I got in that mental Boostep sale the other year.

The AWE version is a big improvement over the Arkiv VHS that I have and am used to. Especially the night scenes.

It also has a better picture and is longer than the VCI version. Though the VCI one seems to have slightly better (though still not great) audio.
Old 28th May 2012, 01:15 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

OK, this is the weirdest thing...

I am just checking the VCI release of Today It's Me Tomorrow You, having just watched the AWE one.

Now, the AWE release is PAL and runs 98 minutes (meaning a cinema running time of around 101/102 minutes).

The VCI release runs under 95 minutes, meaning a cinema running time of, well, around 95 minutes!

They are from different sources.

Yet, having scanned through the VCI, I swear that nothing has been cut, and certainly not nearly 7 minutes of footage!

I realise that VCI are not the most "high end" of companies, do you think it conceivable that they have sped up the film slightly in order to fit two films on one DVD? If so, does this mean that the other film (The Stranger's Gundown/Django The Bastard) is not cut either, despite what I have read on the 'net?

I am very intrigued. Any more technically minded folk who can comment on the feasibility of speeding up film slightly in this way?
Old 28th May 2012, 01:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I don't think DJANGO THE BASTARD/STRANGERS is cut, I think it has a scene in the wrong place or something. Could be wrong about that though.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 28th May 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 28th May 2012, 01:23 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I don't think DJANGO THE BASTARD/STRANGERS is cut, I think it has a scene in the wrong place or something. Could be wrong about that though.
Yeah, they shifted the pre-credits sequence and made it a flashback.

Django The Bastard runs the same length as my other versions of it.

So it's just Today... that's the weird one!
Old 28th May 2012, 09:59 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

As per the Tyneside Cinem's 75 Years of Film event on Saturday night/yesterday I watched

Reservoir Dogs
Evil Dead 2
Mulholland Drive
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Strangers on a Train
The Third Man
Annie Hall
Fargo

All on the big screen, and for 75p a ticket each. A truly fantastic weekend.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
As per the Tyneside Cinem's 75 Years of Film event on Saturday night/yesterday I watched

Reservoir Dogs
Evil Dead 2
Mulholland Drive
Strangers on a Train
The Third Man
Annie Hall
Fargo

Fantastic indeed !
Old 28th May 2012, 02:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Tunnel (2011, D: Carlo Ledesma)

A very flawed but also very interesting mockumentary/found footage job from Australia.

What lets it down are occasional amateurishness in acting and script and attempts to compensate by "trying too hard". Also it is crippingly derivative - the spirits of REC, The Descent, Blair Witch and others are constantly tapping your shoulder throughout.

What is good is the story idea (the water recycling start to the story, the hints of cover-up from above), the setting (glorious tunnels beneath Sydney) and the characterisations. These people are not very pleasant or sympathetic, but they are developed and it is a shame that the acting was not quite up to the mark.

In a way, the film seems like a "demo", and as such it's a very impressive one. With better direction and actors this idea could have been a winner. As it is, it is still worth a watch.
Old 28th May 2012, 02:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

Reservoir Dogs
Evil Dead 2
Mulholland Drive
Strangers on a Train
The Third Man
Annie Hall
Fargo

That's a great list of films – I would have loved to be there.

Like this? Share it using the links below!