How The West Was Won
Fight Club
Badlands
Dead Man's Shoes
Monster's Inc
Old 29th July 2013, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just come back from the cinema where I watched 80's cheese-fest Miami Connection. One of the silliest, most ridiculous films I have ever, ever seen but oh so enjoyable. I'm really tempted to order the US BD.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 29th July 2013, 11:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
He thought Finding Nemo and WALL-E were so suitable he recommended them twice!

I agree with his recommendations and it basically comes down to the Pixar and animated Disney films – most things with a U certificate which you think your son would like and wouldn't cause him to have nightmares (some of them have some scary scenes but as long as you are there to comfort him and explain it's going to be okay that should be fine).

I'd also add the Aardman films like the Wallace and Gromit ones (particularly if he likes Shaun the Sheep) and Chicken Run might be okay.
I cannot recommend Wallace & Gromit (the original show) highly enough for kids. I was brought up on them and loved them.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 29th July 2013, 11:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

In 1969 I don't think I understood what it meant to "be foreign." The nearest thing to it for me was when I moved from one area of Sheffield or Rotherham to another when I would be "the outsider" for what seemed like an age until I was accepted by my peers. In 1969 I was in my fourth primary school in as many years and was getting ready to move again. In 1969 I thought that I knew what it was like to be "the outsider!"

I had heard of Japan but didn't grasp the idea of "foreign." I watched a Japanese film tonight, "Portrait of Hell" made in 1969, which deals on one level with the alienation within the ruling system of Koreans in Japan, and on another level with megalomania and corruption in power. The film revolves around an artist, Yoshihide, and his patron, the daimyo Hosokawa. The artist and his apprentices are Korean and not allowed to return to Korea and the Lord is unaware that his people are suffering under his oppressive rule. Because of this oppression Yoshihide can only paint the truth that he sees which is ugly and evil.

It's a slow burner of a film but it holds a candle up to the differences in Western and Eastern film making and the approaches to the horror genre that continue today. For recent examples you only have to look at how different "Ringu" was on it's release to anything served up by Hollywood!

I enjoyed my 96 minutes of alienation and give "Portrait of Hell" 15/10 for helping me realise that maybe I'm not as alienated as I thought I was and it's a cracking ghost story too!

Monster Magnet
Old 30th July 2013, 04:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Films from Sunday and Monday's screenings:

Lady Assassin Enjoyable Vietnamese martial arts flick.
Company Man Korean action film. Well worth seeking out.
I'll follow you down Interesting time-travel film with Gillian Anderson and the young lad (now grown up) from Sixth Sense.
Doomsdays Rather pedestrian comedy.
Saving General Yang Brilliant. Historical action film from China.
Helter-skelter 45 minutes too long which spoils what could have been a fantastic exploration of fame and beauty.
Willow Creek Great fun Big Foot found footage film.
troggi likes this.
Old 30th July 2013, 07:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown - Almodovar's film is a farcical comedy something akin to Billy Wilder. Pepa has just been dumped by her lover, the lover's ex-wife has just been released from a mental home, her son is trying to rent Pepa's apartment and round and round we go. Almodovar throws so much at the screen, watching 'Women On The Verge' can make you quite dizzy. That's not to say it's a bad film, it's very enjoyable and extremely funny in places, the convoluted plot all comes together (in a fashion) and when the 80-odd minutes are over you have a huge smile on your face.

Cannibal Holocaust - This was my third viewing of Deodato's infamous film, and it still packs a punch. The animal killings were unnecessary, but of their time, Deodato is on record saying he regrets them, that's enough for me. One thing that became apparent is that the animal killings overshadow a lot of the films other material, if the animal killings were not present (I know you can get an animal free version) it would still be an extremely disturbing film containing some images that are difficult to forget. Infamy aside, it's a very well made film, the score by Riz Ortolani lodges itself into your brain along with the scenes it accompanies. Obviously 'Cannibal Holocaust' is a divisive film, personally I think it's a masterpiece of the genre and a film every horror fan should watch once (in whatever version they're comfortable with).
Old 30th July 2013, 09:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

'Ere we go! "Drainiac" (2000)

I can't say that I didn't like this film because I did, in spite of; poor picture quality (a straight to VHS release), poor dialogue, stilted amateurish acting, crappy effects, amateurish direction and a cheesy script.

It's good points are few and far between but the female lead, Ms. Georgia Hatzis and the "spirit in the end credits" a Ms. Leslie Culton both have a couple of stand-out points. The "exorcist is quite a treat too.

The plot is paper thin and improbable; a young girl left to clean up a derelict house by an abusive father notices odd happenings in the water system and, when her friends come to help her, "freaky incidents" and deaths start to occur.

I have to give it a 12/10 for enjoyment as it's fun elements far outweigh it's bad points. But don't take my word for it, watch it for yourself it's cheap flaky fun!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 30th July 2013, 11:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I take it you've got the 'Hollywood legends of horror collection' then, not a bad little box set i thought. Bought that primarily for Mad Love which i think is a Fantastic little film and one of my favourites of the old B&W classic horrors, don't think it's ever been released on british dvd.
Still haven't got round to watching The Dr X films
Yeah. it's a great set. The version of DR X is the two strip technicolor version that differs slightly in some scenes to the B/W version. The Return Of DR X is not related to the first film but features Humphrey Bogart of all people !
The commentaries are good and this is where I found out that Fu Manchu was the restored uncut version.
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 30th July 2013, 12:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Willow Creek Great fun Big Foot found footage film.
Cool. That's one of the two single tickets I've purchased for Fright Fest . . .
SShaw and troggi like this.
Old 30th July 2013, 02:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Cool. That's one of the two single tickets I've purchased for Fright Fest . . .
I hope director Bobcat Goldthwait makes it over, his q&s's are a real force of nature.
Slippery Jack and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!