Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2013, 06:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning View Post
Re watched thx1138 and thought it was excellent. I don't think early zone Lucas and post Star Wars Lucas ate the same person.
Yep, it's a masterpiece, one of my favourite films of all time, and an extraordinary piece of sound design. I think American Graffiti is pretty great as well, and yep, some of us will forever wonder what might have happened has Lucas not decided to take the yellow brick road and went in another direction....
Old 20th August 2013, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm far too tired to write detailed thoughts on my recent watches, so some brief summaries will have to do for now:

Necromentia: A Hellraiser sequel without the Cenobites-Loved it

The Unholy: slow start, but enjoyable slice of 80's horror

Deranged (with Tom Savini/Calum Waddell comm): Looks great in HD, still not getting rid of my German DVD though, I waited ages to find it cheap enough brand new

Hatchet III: More of the same from Adam Green's DP, great fun again and as always, Danielle Harris is mighty fine

Slice And Dice documentary: Great documentary on my second favourite type of horror film (after zombie), interesting interviews and a weird strand of hair hanging from Corey Feldman's head

Heartstopper: Low budget remake of sorts of Wes Craven's Shocker starring Robert Englund, no idea if it was any good because I was that tired from yesterday's recording that I fell asleep about 30 minutes in, what I saw seemed ok enough for a film of this type
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th August 2013, 07:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I'm far too tired to write detailed thoughts on my recent watches, so some brief summaries will have to do for now:

Necromentia: A Hellraiser sequel without the Cenobites-Loved it

The Unholy: slow start, but enjoyable slice of 80's horror
Phew! Glad you enjoyed these two Rik.
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 20th August 2013, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Phew! Glad you enjoyed these two Rik.
You should start up your own thread-Demdike's Recommendations, they've all been spot on so far (for me anyway).
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th August 2013, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I still have the unholy and Necromentia to watch myself, might watch them this bank holiday weekend, or might just even watch one after Frankenstein created woman has finished if not to tired.
Old 20th August 2013, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I still have the unholy and Necromentia to watch myself, might watch them this bank holiday weekend, or might just even watch one after Frankenstein created woman has finished if not to tired.
Only thing I'll be watching all Bank Holiday weekend is lots of singing rock fans, got 3 gigs lined up, starting on Saturday night, 2 of which are for charity meaning free beer
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 20th August 2013, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
You should start up your own thread-Demdike's Recommendations, they've all been spot on so far (for me anyway).
That would need a warning, something along the lines of 'Your home and financial security may be at risk if you read this thread'!
Old 20th August 2013, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That would need a warning, something along the lines of 'Your home and financial security may be at risk if you read this thread'!
I agree if didn't know better i would think you we're trying to bankrupt me!
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 20th August 2013, 09:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Grabbers (2012) Wasn't too impressed! In fact it bored me!
Old 20th August 2013, 10:43 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Attachment 117753

Just finished watching 'Martyrs', must say that i thought it was very good.
I'd heard differing opinions of the film but tried not to hear too much about what actually happens in the film.
Heard it was very harsh and brutal, and it is, but i didn't feel at any time that it was exploitative or overly gratuitous.

It is hard to sit through at times, but the two main female performances raised it above the crowd for me,i thought they gave very good performances.

I generally dislike modern torture style horror films but this was centred around the effects of captivity on the victim and therefore had to have difficult scenes to make us aware of the impact it has on the victim and the villains of the piece are in no way glorified.
In the villains there is more reasoning and motivation than i expected which makes them seem even more chilling, they have a purpose. (even if it is pretty warped.) I will not go into detail but i did not expect this element.

The film was well made and quite creepy in a few of the earlier scenes, and i was impressed by the amount of dread the director created.
The plot takes a few twists that i did not expect and kept me gripped throughout.

I think a lot of the reason it has it's haters is that the film is very serious and doesn't try to just entertain us but provoke thought and it seems very realistic in its violence.
Not a film i can easily recommend because it is quite an ordeal at times, but i am glad i watched it. I'm sat here thinking about it now writing this and i can tell it's one of those films i'll be thinking about for a while ( this in my mind is a good thing.)
Hard to recommend but if your'e looking for something a bit challenging i would say go for it. 8/10
Very good review of this film, exactly how I see it.
" I generally dislike modern torture style horror films but this was centred around the effects of captivity on the victim and therefore had to have difficult scenes to make us aware of the impact it has on the victim and the villains of the piece are in no way glorified."
100% right, a very good observation.
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!