Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2013, 05:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yeah, the only reason I didn't mention the blu was because I know Dem doesn't have a bluray player. The DVD is pretty cheap (although for about a fiver for a double feature bluray, so is the HD equivalent!) though. I have a real affection for the original though, probably just nostalgia for when I first saw it.
Old 6th July 2013, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched neverending story last, even after all these years I still enjoy this film and I still get cloaked up at the bit with the horse in the swamp. Then one of my favourite vampire and 80s movies the lost boys, never get tired of this film, I love it all the music, the fashion, story.

Part way through what has to be my favourite Stallone film, its not rocky or Rambo , its better than them combined its the totally amazing Cobra!
Old 6th July 2013, 05:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

geekdog.jpg
Last night I watched:
"The Wasp Woman" 1960
AND:
"Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet" 1965

Well a bit of a mixed bag here. "The Wasp Woman" is an old favourite and I haven't seen it for years. Yes the science involved is pure hokum, yes the selective transformation of Janice Starling is really hard to get your head around (the head and arms become insectoid but the rest of the body is a bipedal humanoid but obviously with book lungs and spiracles to explain the buzzing noise), but it is fun. 7/10 for silliness.

"Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet" has really bad picture quality, so much so that you only realise that it is a colour film when the whole screen goes red which it does quite often. Great ideas in this film though, pity they are all completely wrong! It was made at that optimistic time in the 1960s when people believed that we would all be commuting home in flying cars by 1980 and that we would have colonised the moon by the early 2000s. I'm still waiting for the universally cheap humanoid robot butler/housemaid to come on the market!

The "Prehistoric Planet" of the title is Venus, dinosaurs and volcanoes are rampant on it's surface. Only 10 years later the Russians proved that only the "volcanoes" bit is anything like correct. Venus has a runaway "greenhouse effect" the pressure and temperature on the surface being lethal to life. And the big "Star" of the film, Basil Rathbone, is completely wasted only ever talking down a microphone to issue orders.

Having said all that I still got the thrill I felt as an 8 year old watching crappy sci-fi "B" movies on an old b/w TV set. Oh and a great robot and "car"! 6/10 for the robot.

I am resigned to the fact that these 50 films are the cheapest transfers available but they are difficult at times to watch and hear and I am sure that I would rate most of them much higher if I could see and hear them better. They have a naive "charm" and appeal to the little boy I used to be so long ago!

None tonight as I have the "Mad Artichoke" coming 'round for a game of cards, life in the fast lane, eh?

Monster Magnet
Old 6th July 2013, 06:58 PM
Active Cultist

A Field in England -- I hate to add to the controversy, but...I didn't even watch it. It clashed with Half Past Dead 2 starring Bill Goldberg, so I recorded that instead. That's how I roll...

I will watch Field eventually, though.

I did watch Runaway Train which I recorded of ITV4 a few weeks ago. To be honest, I tried to enjoy it (never seen it before) but both Eric Roberts and Jon Voight's characters actually got on my nerves. I can't say I would consider buying the Arrow Blu for this reason, to be honest.
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 6th July 2013, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Goatman murders, holy crap, I know some people like it. But this just has to be on of the worst movies I've had the displeasure of watching. Acting, writing, directing , music, sound and special effects its all beyond awful. 20 minutes is all I could manage . Even at £3 I feel robbed, don't have much faith in the lodge which I got at the same time.
Not a movie in the category it's so bad it's good, it's so bad it's awful.

Off to watch a real movie, that succeeds in all the places this failed- dressed to kill.( mind I've never seen it, but I'm that confident).
troggi likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 6th July 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Continued my Kevin Smith season with Mallrats and Chasing Amy. I like Mallrats, but I think Chasing Amy is simply sublime, perhaps Smith's maturest work and in my mind his best film.

Back in the U.K. on Monday and Tuesday and hope to pick up a couple of recent releases if I have time on Monday evening (and perhaps also catch The Bling Ring).
Old 6th July 2013, 09:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Goatman murders, holy crap, I know some people like it. But this just has to be on of the worst movies I've had the displeasure of watching. Acting, writing, directing , music, sound and special effects its all beyond awful. 20 minutes is all I could manage . Even at £3 I feel robbed, don't have much faith in the lodge which I got at the same time.
Not a movie in the category it's so bad it's good, it's so bad it's awful.

Off to watch a real movie, that succeeds in all the places this failed- dressed to kill.( mind I've never seen it, but I'm that confident).
You clearly don't watch many low budget movies Trebor.
troggi likes this.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
You clearly don't watch many low budget movies Trebor.
Low budget? It was more like no budget. Might give it another go some time. But if others like it, that's fine by me. Plenty of films I like people think are awful
troggi likes this.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Low budget? It was more like no budget. Might give it another go some time.
Ha, ha exactly.

I'm guessing your not familiar with the likes of Toe Tags, Suburban Sasquatch, Hells Highway and Prehistoric Bimbo's in Armageddon City.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Ha, ha exactly.

I'm guessing your not familiar with the likes of Toe Tags, Suburban Sasquatch, Hells Highway and Prehistoric Bimbo's in Armageddon City.
I would watch the last one just because of the title!

Edit
Just finished dressed to kill, have to say I was right in my initial views on the film with out even seeing it, a true classic. Don't think I'll be able to look at Michael Cain the same way again. As I enjoyed both this and blow out would I enjoy obsession ?
Hawkmonger and troggi like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 6th July 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!