Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Looks like The Exorcist to me
I only watched it a few days ago.

Doesn't look like Regan at all.
troggi likes this.
Old 20th October 2013, 06:41 PM
Cult Addict

If certain British doctors never asked 'what is this fungus?' we wouldn't today have penicillin. Correct?
troggi likes this.
Old 20th October 2013, 06:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
If certain British doctors never asked 'what is this fungus?' we wouldn't today have penicillin. Correct?
Rik. I think he's calling me a fungus.
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 20th October 2013, 06:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Not yet but I'm planning on getting them soon.

This is the best dvd of the original film (or "Episode 1") I think,it's the one I watched anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-A-Ko...+a-ko+discotek
Old 20th October 2013, 07:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Apollo 18

I may be one of the few people on this planet that actually enjoyed this film,put aside the Blair Witch style film making which film makers seem to be continuouslyfascinated with, although most fans are now well bored of it.The structure of the film seem to be batter the viewer into submission with endless nothing and Nasa tech speak,coming across like Capricorn Ones less interesting brother.
I was sort of mesmerized by the endless nothing ness which didn't happen,kind of like if you really were in space and had to endure the boredom of it all.That said you couldn't fault its authentic feel and like space the film has no atmosphere.But I still enjoyed it,although I did enjoy The Incredible melting Man and think Al Adamson is god.

Old 20th October 2013, 07:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
I may be one of the few people on this planet that actually enjoyed this film,put aside the Blair Witch style film making which film makers seem to be continuouslyfascinated with, although most fans are now well bored of it.The structure of the film seem to be batter the viewer into submission with endless nothing and Nasa tech speak,coming across like Capricorn Ones less interesting brother.
I was sort of mesmerized by the endless nothing ness which didn't happen,kind of like if you really were in space and had to endure the boredom of it all.That said you couldn't fault its authentic feel and like space the film has no atmosphere.But I still enjoyed it,although I did enjoy The Incredible melting Man and think Al Adamson is god.
Found footage although I did like Chronicle, Cloverfield and Monsters
troggi and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 20th October 2013, 07:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Looks like The Exorcist to me
Give that man a prize!
So first time for one of the most highly regarded horrors of all time.
And?
...meh.

Edit. It does stick with you after.
troggi likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 20th October 2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 20th October 2013, 07:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I have literally just undertook a 12 hour long viewing (from 8pm on Saturday to 8am Sunday with some intermissions) of, altogether 6 films at the Cameo Cinema in Edinburgh.

The first one was Captain Philips. This was a good film that effectively conveyed the tense and nail biting situation on which the true story is based. Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances I have seen from my own experience of his films and this supports the other elements well. I would however would have liked perhaps to learn a bit more about the pirates backstory (though this is to degree explored and Greengrass, I feel, doesn't in any way portray them as 1 dimensional bad guys. Again, however a little bit more context provided for the actions pirates would have perhaps helped to counter accusations, I have heard by some, that the finale resembles a Call of Duty game. Overall a 7/10.

I then went to watch five films as part of the Cameo All Night Horror Madness (all 35mm prints).

The first up was Hardware (1990). I was most looking forward to this and boy it did not disappoint. Visually, this film was simply mind-blowing and in this aspect the best experience I have ever experienced at a cinema. The plot might not have been the best (though this is a criticism that could be made for many Italian genre classics) but when the visuals are so great I can forgive it for that. I really liked the characters as well and how the tongue-in-cheek elements were incorporated into their character development and the narrative. Simply put this film was felt relatively unique and above all BAD-ASS. 10/10.

I then undertook a rewatch of Carrie. When watching this whenever I catched it on TV I never really connected to it but seeing it on the big screen I can see why many acclaim it as a classic of the genre. The closing scene at the prom was in particular effective and disturbing on the big screen. 8/10.

Next up was Stagefright. This was a fun Italian slasher picture with the same comic tone of Demons but in my opinion, significantly better. Some of the deaths had the whole audience laughing. 8/10.

The 4th film was Frankenhooker. I own the Arrow Blu-Ray of this and have watched it a couple of times since but seeing it on the big screen really brought out its strengths as a black comedy horror and its scenes of 42nd Street madness. 8/10.

The last was the horror grandaddy of them all; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) in an original 'drive-in' print. Though as my N1 fav horror I have seen this numerous times I could not miss a chance to watch a old 35mm print of it at the cinema. I will always remember the impact it had on me when I first saw it (this was the film that got me into the genre) and although that specific impact can't be repeated the very raw power of the film was all frighteningly real and evident on the big screen (especially the scene when Leatherface first appears and disappears behind his metal door). 10/10.
Old 20th October 2013, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Found footage although I did like Chronicle, Cloverfield and Monsters
Just wait until you see THE BORDERLANDS. Probably the best found footage film I have seen since [Rec]. Genuinely scary.
troggi likes this.
Old 20th October 2013, 10:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1945:
The Lost Weekend Good movie, enjoyed it!
The Bells of St. Marys Although I liked the first film 'Going My Way' this tbh bored me!
Rome, Open City Was really looking forward to seeing this....and was somewhat disappointed! Not sure I like the genre!
Pursuit to Algiers More Sherlock

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post372856

House of Dracula Great movie although it has its flaws
Caesar and Cleopatra Boorriinnggg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post372863
sawyer6 and troggi like this.

Last edited by JoshuaKaitlyn; 20th October 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!