All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2015, 12:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Strange that, everyone I know that's seen it have said it's brilliant. I'm taking my kids to watch it next weekend, so i'll see what my opinion is
IN the films defense its only two people and these are the type of hipster idiots that just seem to dislike anything that's poplar. i wouldn't be surprised if they liked it and just said they hated to look "cool". yes they are that bigger idiots. i should know by now to take what they say with a pinch of salt
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th April 2015, 12:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I know it's a paper mocked by many but the Mail only gave this one 3 stars whereas the first had 5. Brian Viner is no Chris Tookey in the moralizing stakes either.
Old 24th April 2015, 12:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I know it's a paper mocked by many but the Mail only gave this one 3 stars whereas the first had 5. Brian Viner is no Chris Tookey.
I wouldn't even call it a paper.

As for The Avengers, I watched the first one (perhaps against my better judgement) to see what all the hype was about and didn't take to it... it wasn't bad as such just *another* hollow predictable conveyor belt actioner. I guess I may have liked it more if I was into the comics/characters and/or superhero films in general... the 'good' ones seem to be very few and far between for me.

As you might of already guessed, I don't think that I'll be bothering with the sequel.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 24th April 2015, 12:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I wouldn't even call it a paper.

As for The Avengers, I watched the first one (perhaps against my better judgement) to see what all the hype was about and didn't take to it... it wasn't bad as such just *another* hollow predictable conveyor belt actioner. I guess I may have liked it more if I was into the comics/characters and/or superhero films in general... the 'good' ones seem to be very few and far between for me.

As you might of already guessed, I don't think that I'll be bothering with the sequel.
I still haven't seen the first one. It sits there on the shelf in its cellophane. Each time i look at it the 140 minutes part always puts me off.
Old 24th April 2015, 04:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CHOCOLATE, STRAWBERRY, VANILLA - The director of the excellent 'Monstro' shows us a few days in the life of a tragic, soap-opera obsessed ice cream man, during which he's spurned by the imaginary love of his life and ends up doing a T Bickle... I really quite liked CSV. At first I wasn't certain, but something about its threadbare minimalism really worked for me. The repetition of lonely hours and petty humiliations gradually builds a relentless atmosphere in a pretty desolate seeming but all too believable world. The performances are all strong, and in fact CSV is populated by enigmatic characters who don't stay on screen for very long, but who evoke hidden, slightly desperate lives... witness the hooker and her kid, or the post-office-counter-assistant-with-monkey-on-back (who I had a massive crush on. The counter gal, that is - the monkey is a metaphor. You know what I mean). Like 'Monstro', it's kind of trans-genre, coming on for the most part like a blackly comedic character study before flipping over into classic horror meltdown. This latter bit was a bit overdone, and I would've preferred a more delicate resolution in some ways. Still, it's in keeping with the bleak overall tone and the logic of the film as a whole. Very good and well worth catching.

R100 - White collar dude visits a brothel called 'Bondage' and gets embroiled in an s&m game that gradually overwhelms his existence. 'R100', from Hitoshi Matsumoto, is a pretty strange film. In fact, the prospect of cataloguing all its various weirdnesses fills me with exhaustion. I won't ask why the lead character's features change and his eyes blacken whenever he has a hot bondage moment, or why the brothel's 'CEO' expresses her anger by repeatedly diving into a swimming pool, because frankly these questions are pointless and end up as mere flotsam on this tidal wave of wonky. And by the time the (very obviously male) lead got pregnant, I could only really think "well, why not?" If the so-called 'Bizarro' literary sub-genre needed a cinematic equivalent, this would do, as it features much of the same hysterical straining after oddness, a bit like various others such as 'John Does At The End' et al. And, come to think of it, loads of other examples of Japanese quasi-surrealism. All of this aside, R100 never fails to be consistently (and, on occasion, jaw droppingly) entertaining. The kink factor is actually fairly minor, tame enough to be easily surpassed by all the other whackiness. A surprise in some ways, although I'm not familiar with the director. Two thumbs up.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
From 1965: part 1

A Pistol for Ringo - Spaghetti Western that came on the heels of 'A Fistful of Dollars', and like 'Fistful' it too spawned a sequel, although it was more like reboot rather than a continuation of the story.

Invasion of the Astro Monster - Earth comes to the aid of Planet X which is under attack from King Ghidorah. X wants to use both Godzilla and Rodan to battle the monster. However the aliens of Planet X have a nefarious plan to conquer the Earth!

Mudhoney - Russ Meyer drama with bosoms aplenty.

Help! - The Be-atles second picture, more anarchic comedy (?) interspersed with some classic hits!

The Sound of Music - I'll admit this is the first time I've seen this all the way through. I like musicals but this I'm none to keen on and with the competition a few years back on TV to 'find a new Maria' it didn't make me want to see it any time soon. If it hadn't of won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1965 I doubt I'd have put in my cinematic history list and having now seen it I doubt if I'll see it again for a few years.

The Agony and the Ecstasy - Chuck Heston does Michaelangelo with Rex Harrison as Pope Julius II. Not a bad picture!

The Intelligence Men - Morcambre and Wise star in their first movie. A spy 'comedy' that is unfunny and just a pile of ...

The Ipcress File - First in the Harry Palmer franchise really quite good with its quirky camera angles and anti-hero. A more believable spy picture than the M&W one and indeed more believable than the following more exotic outing for Bond.

Thunderball - From the farce that was the M&W spoof to the believable that was Harry Palmer to the exotic that was the next in the Bond fanchise, for me this is one of the weakest in Connery's Bonds.

The Face of Fu Manchu - Another franchise, this one starring Christopher Lee. Another movie that I liked as a kid but it kind of dragged this time around. For a film with a lot of oriental characters it was kind of hard to spot a genuine one!

Viva Maria - First time seeing this, it wasn't bad. Bardot inadvertantly creating a strip tease show sold it for me

Sound of music bad enough watching but admitting it is worse.
In tv shows Family fortune Eh er X. Computer says no.
Are you trying to disgrace this site by lowering the tone and giving it a bad. Should be ashamed of yourself thats what you need is thrashing to take youre sin ways.
And say 5 our fathers and 7 hail mary. And vow never to do it again.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.

Last edited by gag; 24th April 2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I really like The Sound of Music (although it's no Mary Poppins) as it deals with the serious subject matter really well, Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer and the entire cast are all brilliant and the songs are all terrific.

I'm a fan.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
CHOCOLATE, STRAWBERRY, VANILLA - The director of the excellent 'Monstro' shows us a few days in the life of a tragic, soap-opera obsessed ice cream man, during which he's spurned by the imaginary love of his life and ends up doing a T Bickle... I really quite liked CSV. At first I wasn't certain, but something about its threadbare minimalism really worked for me. The repetition of lonely hours and petty humiliations gradually builds a relentless atmosphere in a pretty desolate seeming but all too believable world. The performances are all strong, and in fact CSV is populated by enigmatic characters who don't stay on screen for very long, but who evoke hidden, slightly desperate lives... witness the hooker and her kid, or the post-office-counter-assistant-with-monkey-on-back (who I had a massive crush on. The counter gal, that is - the monkey is a metaphor. You know what I mean). Like 'Monstro', it's kind of trans-genre, coming on for the most part like a blackly comedic character study before flipping over into classic horror meltdown. This latter bit was a bit overdone, and I would've preferred a more delicate resolution in some ways. Still, it's in keeping with the bleak overall tone and the logic of the film as a whole. Very good and well worth catching.
I also watched this one recently thanks to a recommendation on here from fellow member Sam.

I agree with you about the counter girl (The metaphorical monkey on the other hand... well, I wouldn't want to encourage InVictor Ronnaline...) and also the ending being a little overdone - it was a little too 'Taxi Driver on steroids'.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Sound of music bad enough watching but admitting it is worse.
In tv shows catchphrase. Eh er X. Computer says no.
Are you trying to disgrace this site by lowering the tone and giving it a bad. Should be ashamed of yourself thats what you need is thrashing to take youre sin ways.
And say 5 our fathers and 7 hail mary. And vow never to do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I really like The Sound of Music (although it's no Mary Poppins) as it deals with the serious subject matter really well, Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer and the entire cast are all brilliant and the songs are all terrific.

I'm a fan.
Most musicals do nothing for me. I could happily live the rest of my life without having to endure Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music ever again.
Vipp, J Harker, Boo Radley and 2 others like this.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm with Nos here.

The Sound of Music is a great film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!