It's true – you do know your tits!
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 8th May 2015, 07:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
I have a legitimate issue with Eli Roth - He isn't a filmmaker. we only know about him because Quentin Tarentino wanted us too... Eli didn't make three films on his own as a film pioneer of the likes of speilburg, he had help from a series of fortunate and extremyl rich film-maker friends and the most influencial of them all was and still is Tarentino... Eli didn't break into the industry like Peter Jackson... hard work, actual script writing skills, actual camera and directorial and editorail skills. He had Quentin helping out with baby steps all the way from script to editing.... so Eli Roths films aren't really his films so it's okay to critisize his technique and scripts. Now i guess he has picked up all he needs to know, to churn out films but when he started out, people assumed and worshiped him for being some film god but he wasn't and i'd say still isn't. Screw Eli!
I accept that you don't like Roth but the reasons you give are fairly weak.

If people don't get a leg up they often won't make it. Going off your reasoning i presume you also dislike Lamberto Bava due to his fathers influence. You won't like Clint Eastwood due to the help he got from Don Siegel going as far as using his cinematographer Bruce Surtees in numerous films, same goes for Fulci and Ricardo Freda.

Do you want me to go on?
Old 8th May 2015, 08:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
I have a legitimate issue with Eli Roth - He isn't a filmmaker. we only know about him because Quentin Tarentino wanted us too... Eli didn't make three films on his own as a film pioneer of the likes of speilburg, he had help from a series of fortunate and extremyl rich film-maker friends and the most influencial of them all was and still is Tarentino... Eli didn't break into the industry like Peter Jackson... hard work, actual script writing skills, actual camera and directorial and editorail skills. He had Quentin helping out with baby steps all the way from script to editing.... so Eli Roths films aren't really his films so it's okay to critisize his technique and scripts. Now i guess he has picked up all he needs to know, to churn out films but when he started out, people assumed and worshiped him for being some film god but he wasn't and i'd say still isn't. Screw Eli!
That's not true at all though. QT only got involved from Hostel onwards. Whatever you think of him Eli Roth worked his ass off to get Cabin Fever off the ground and had worked in the industry in many different roles for years prior to learn his craft (he was an extra in a lot of films including Jurassic Park 2, a PA/runner on Howard Stern's Private Parts, David Lynch's assistant,various Troma roles). Regardless of what you think of him your assessment isn't true.
Old 8th May 2015, 09:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
That's not true at all though. QT only got involved from Hostel onwards. Whatever you think of him Eli Roth worked his ass off to get Cabin Fever off the ground and had worked in the industry in many different roles for years prior to learn his craft (he was an extra in a lot of films including Jurassic Park 2, a PA/runner on Howard Stern's Private Parts, David Lynch's assistant,various Troma roles). Regardless of what you think of him your assessment isn't true.
He also has a tiny role in Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, so was hanging around with the Troma guys in the late 1990s.
Old 8th May 2015, 10:07 PM
Cult Addict

Eli Roth was a PA on LOST HIGHWAY.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Vipp like this.
Old 8th May 2015, 10:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Eli Roth was a PA on LOST HIGHWAY.
Aye. He did so much and genuinely worked his ass off to get Cabin Fever made. He really didn't stumble into it through famous friends.
Old 8th May 2015, 11:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Run, Lola, Run (1998)

8/10.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

9/10

Am I the only one who likes this better than the first.
Vipp likes this.
Old 8th May 2015, 11:25 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post

9/10

Eva Greens boobs have clouded your judgement
Old 9th May 2015, 05:34 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Run, Lola, Run (1998)

8/10.

9/10

I thought A dame to kill for was $£"$£$% terrible. Really, really bad to a level I actually considered walking out the theatre.

****though Eva Greens boobs kept me seated! They're genuinely magnificent.****
Old 9th May 2015, 05:38 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Aye. He did so much and genuinely worked his ass off to get Cabin Fever made. He really didn't stumble into it through famous friends.
My issue with Eli Roth was this.

Cabin Fever, Hostel + Hostel 2 were all good movies in my opinion. However he's spent 8 years doing bugger all but acting in his mates films, watching films and discussing films. I get it, he likes films but I think its something of a waste because he's in a position to make them and he doesn't.

(Though the remake idea for bad seed was genuinely terrible)

Like this? Share it using the links below!