Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2015, 01:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Eli Roth's arrogance and opinion of himself is quite a bit higher than his actual talent in my opinion. Ok, so he is a fan of horror but there are many other directors who probably love it as much but don't get nowhere near the same exposure.

Remember when he attacked his fans for the failure of Hostel 2 just because of its poor box office, not because its a decent film but no masterpiece he seems to think it is.

Ill never forgive him for trying to remake The Bad Seed and saying this “The original was a great psychological thriller, and we are going to bastardize and exploit it, ramping up the body counts and killings,” said Roth. “This is going to be scary, bloody fun, and we’re going to create the next horror icon, a la Freddy, Jason and Chucky. She’s this cunning, adorable kid who loves to kill, but also loves ‘N Sync.”
Yeah, most of the stuff that comes out of Roth's mouth is horse-shit. A lot like his films really...
Vipp and Buboven like this.
Old 8th May 2015, 02:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, most of the stuff that comes out of Roth's mouth is horse-shit. A lot like his films really...
That's the problem or a problem with horror fans. We refuse to embrace new directors, and slam the older directors still working for producing shite far removed from their glory days. Are we really stuck in such a bubble?

Discuss.
Old 8th May 2015, 03:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's the problem or a problem with horror fans. We refuse to embrace new directors, and slam the older directors still working for producing shite far removed from their glory days. Are we really stuck in such a bubble?

Discuss.
There are plenty of great directors pumping both innovation and passion into their craft - just look at some of the great horror films that we have enjoyed within the current decade alone: Berberian Sound Studio, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Cold Fish, Dream Home, Father's Day, Here Comes the Devil, I Saw the Devil, John Dies at the End, Julia's Eyes, Kill List, The Loved Ones, Lovely Molly, Maniac, Only Lovers Left Alive, Stoker, Tucker & Dale...(obviously this is a subjective list as it comprises of films that I personally consider to be 'great').

Unfortunately, Roth isn't one of them and instead thinks taking a tried and tested plot idea and adding loads of swearing, gore and pop culture references makes for a one hell of a 'cool' film. Tarantino also does this, but arguably to better effect as at least he has some skill behind the camera... I find that his films are also helped massively by the editing (and often the cast) too.

Horror is far from dead, but there are too many over-promoted lime-light hogging hacks (e.g. Roth, West, Wingard, Zombie) who perhaps push some of the more talented and more interesting directors into the background.

I guess it comes down to personal taste though. Roth's films have their audience, and are generally geared towards the US teen market with their appetite for cheap thrills, gore and tits. Despite the fact that certain sub-genres always seem to remain popular, horror audiences change and the films change with them.
Old 8th May 2015, 03:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There are plenty of great directors pumping both innovation and passion into their craft - just look at some of the great horror films that we have enjoyed within the current decade alone: Berberian Sound Studio, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Cold Fish, Dream Home, Father's Day, Here Comes the Devil, I Saw the Devil, John Dies at the End, Julia's Eyes, Kill List, The Loved Ones, Lovely Molly, Maniac, Only Lovers Left Alive, Stoker, Tucker & Dale...(obviously this is a subjective list as it comprises of films that I personally consider to be 'great').

Unfortunately, Roth isn't one of them and instead thinks taking a tried and tested plot idea and adding loads of swearing, gore and pop culture references makes for a one hell of a 'cool' film. Tarantino also does this, but arguably to better effect as at least he has some skill behind the camera... I find that his films are also helped massively by the editing (and often the cast) too.

Horror is far from dead, but there are too many over-promoted lime-light hogging hacks (e.g. Roth, West, Wingard, Zombie) who perhaps push some of the more talented and more interesting directors into the background.

I guess it comes down to personal taste though. Roth's films have their audience, and are generally geared towards the US teen market with their appetite for cheap thrills, gore and tits. Despite the fact that certain sub-genres always seem to remain popular, horror audiences change and the films change with them.
A great list of films B_E. Some i've seen and one or two i haven't. Peter Strickland and Ben Wheatley aside (who incidentally was a producer on the formers Duke of Burgundy which is never a horror film, actually are any of Stickland's horror? i'd say not.) i couldn't tell you who directed any of them. So they may well be one hit wonders.
Old 8th May 2015, 03:29 PM
Cult Master

Why must you speak ill of tits

Old 8th May 2015, 03:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A great list of films B_E. Some i've seen and one or two i haven't. Peter Strickland and Ben Wheatley aside (who incidentally was a producer on the formers Duke of Burgundy which is never a horror film, actually are any of Stickland's horror? i'd say not.) i couldn't tell you who directed any of them. So they may well be one hit wonders.
Some of them certainly are (at least at the moment... give them time!) but Cold Fish for instance was directed by the acclaimed Sion Sono, John Dies at the End was directed by Don Coscarelli, who of course is famous for Bubba-Ho-Tep and Phantasm, Only Lovers Left Alive is the latest from indie director Jim Jarmusch, Stoker is 'Oldboy' Park Chan Wook's dip into the US film market etc.

As alluded to, a lot of these films are from some interesting up and comers who may have some more projects in the pipeline. Most of them have done other films before which may not be as glaringly apparent (Bogliano who directed Here Comes the Devil for instance did a segment in the ABCs of Death). It kind of supports the point I made in the previous post in a lot of ways, with directors like Roth being easily recognisable for their efforts, whilst some of these fine directors are veritable unknowns despite having multiple films to their name.

As for Strickland, I wouldn't say that he was a horror director either, but a lot like Lynch, his films contain 'horrific elements'. I'm really looking forward to checking out The Duke of Burgundy... I just know that I'm going to adore it.
Old 8th May 2015, 03:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 8th May 2015, 03:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:

It's okay, we discussed the situation and they know I didn't mean anything personal by it.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 8th May 2015, 03:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

It's okay, we discussed the situation and they know I didn't mean anything personal by it.
I was getting worried there for a minute I was thinking this place has changed

What I lack in knowledge about film I make up for with great knowledge about erm tits yeah thats it

Old 8th May 2015, 03:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I was getting worried there for a minute I was thinking this place has changed

What I lack in knowledge about film I make up for with great knowledge about erm tits yeah thats it

What the heck?

Last edited by J Harker; 8th May 2015 at 04:13 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!