Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2017, 03:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It has been a long time since I saw The Abyss, something I don't own on any format, and even longer since True Lies, a VHS rental from Blockbuster!
The Abyss in special edition form is excellent - with 30 added minutes - much better than the original theatrical cut. Unfortunately the BBFC have always censored it although strangely I have seen it shown uncut on UK television. So unless the BBFC change their minds, I'll be picking up an overseas copy when it FINALLY arrives on blu-ray.
Old 21st July 2017, 03:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
The Abyss in special edition form is excellent - with 30 added minutes - much better than the original theatrical cut. Unfortunately the BBFC have always censored it although strangely I have seen it shown uncut on UK television. So unless the BBFC change their minds, I'll be picking up an overseas copy when it FINALLY arrives on blu-ray.
The bit with the rat doesn't bother me so much as the aspect ratio as, to the best of my knowledge, I don't think a DVD has been released with an anamorphic picture yet. That would obviously be remedied a Blu-ray Disc, but there doesn't appear to be any sign of either The Abyss or True Lies making their way onto the premiere home entertainment format yet. I wonder if James Cameron is deciding to bypass regular Blu-ray altogether and release them on 4K UltraHD discs.
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 21st July 2017, 04:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Frustratingly both The Abyss and True Lies have already been mastered in high definition for blu-ray release but are still awaiting final approval from Cameron. He's apparently been too busy working on Avatar sequels and adding 3D and new cgi effects to the latest version of T2 (coming to blu-ray later this year).

As regards Terminator 2, I've seen screenshots which show that he has used cgi to add Schwarzenegger's face onto shots with motorcycle stunt doubles and has even used it on a shot where the chasing sewer truck originally lost it's windows. Examples:

Terminator 2 : Screenshot Comparison

Terminator 2 : Screenshot Comparison

Not really sure how I feel about modern cgi changes being made to T2. Undecided as to whether it's a plus or negative - imo there's a certain charm to an original "warts and all" presentation.
Old 21st July 2017, 05:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I can't say they are things I have noticed before as they occur so quickly and the stunt double is so similar that you'd probably have to freeze-frame to see if anything was untoward. It isn't as if the stunt double has a different skin colour or is a completely different build to Schwarzenegger.
Old 21st July 2017, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

8/10

Now watching serial mom.
Old 21st July 2017, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

50 seconds darker more like ...

The Mummy (2017, Alex Kurtzmann)
Whilst it had some good bits, with The Cruiser on board there is no real sense of peril. So it is what it is ....formulaic. Crowe surprised me again though.

Alien Covenant (2017, Ridley Scott)
So whilst Cameron sits on his laurels ...
I liked it. Grumbles aside, wish I had seen this at the pictures. There is nowt like decent looking SF on the big screen imho. See also Life A restrained Kenny Powers also helps this along.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st July 2017, 06:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Scream Factory's release is great. I'm surprised no UK label has picked it up.
Given its with mgm its likely to be available. I could see Second Sight putting it out.
Old 21st July 2017, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hilariously wicked black comedy. Kathleen Turner plays the seemingly perfect suburban mother and housewife but those who mess with her family or upset her dont live to regret it as they soon end up dead! Lots of laugh out loud moments. A great dark comedy thanks largely to Turners performance. 9/10
Old 21st July 2017, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Hilariously wicked black comedy. Kathleen Turner plays the seemingly perfect suburban mother and housewife but those who mess with her family or upset her dont live to regret it as they soon end up dead! Lots of laugh out loud moments. A great dark comedy thanks largely to Turners performance. 9/10
Indeed. Love how he chucks in the references also.
Spiffing film all round

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd July 2017, 02:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Me and my eldest lad went to watch the latest instalment of Gag's favourite film franchise earlier, Transformers: The Last Knight.

Not as bad as the reviews make out, shit blows up, pretty female lead, Sir Anthony Hopkins, a C-3PO ripoff butler Transformer and Optimus Prime saving the day as usual.
It's not really any different to the other films in the franchise, so if you (like me) enjoy them for what they are, you'll probably enjoy this one too.
My only real complaint is that it's a bit too long at 149 minutes and the plot does get lost during the middle.
Having said that, I'll be sure to pick it up on BD eventually

7/10
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!