All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2015, 03:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Interesting fresh start for the well known Captain Harlock manga / anime series which continues the re-developing of the character.

Some fans like this, others don't... personally I think it's (as usual for modern Japanese films it seems) a bit too serious in tone at times.

Overall it's an entertaining and very well made (3D CG) film though and I am certainly curious how a possible sequel will turn out.

I've read it looks great in 3D btw... so will pick up a cheap 3D blu when this goes down in price.
Somone needs to re-issue ARCADIA OF MY YOUTH. I have a Bootleg edition and its still my favourite Harlock movie. Will need to give this one a try though!
bdc likes this.
Old 30th July 2015, 04:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) - 6.5/10

More or less on a par with the last two, but for me personally it's feeling a bit 'same-old same-old' now. It's got to be the best fifth instalment in a series though, nothing better is springing to mind anyway.
keirarts and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 30th July 2015, 06:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) - 6.5/10

More or less on a par with the last two, but for me personally it's feeling a bit 'same-old same-old' now. It's got to be the best fifth instalment in a series though, nothing better is springing to mind anyway.
The Empire strikes back that's the best fifth instalment in a series
keirarts and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 30th July 2015, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The Empire strikes back that's the best fifth instalment in a series
No because that was the second one made.
Old 30th July 2015, 07:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Somone needs to re-issue ARCADIA OF MY YOUTH. I have a Bootleg edition and its still my favourite Harlock movie. Will need to give this one a try though!
How's your Japanese? Because this Italian blu would probably be your best buy?

keirarts likes this.
Old 30th July 2015, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
How's your Japanese? Because this Italian blu would probably be your best buy?

My Italian is better than my Japanese and that's shit! Weirdly I mainly know when someone's calling me an idiot or a pervert in Japanese. I goddamn hope someone in the US or UK gets the rights to this!!!!
bdc likes this.
Old 30th July 2015, 11:43 PM
Cult Addict

Strip nude for your killer.

Taking the 70's Italian approach to gender politics, Andreas Bianchi delivers a brutal Giallo where most of the women are easy lays, gullible to the extreme and all desperate for the attention of sleazy photographers or obese man-child's (there's hope for me yet! ) Its sometimes easy to forget how sleazy this film is when you consider it's also well paced and rather stylish. I think modern audiences may baulk at some of the material. The woman who decides to consent when threatened with violence in a "oh what the hell" kind of way is one scene that would not play well today. For those of us seasoned in 70's euro-sleaze its more a time capsule of attitudes of a different era but I doubt its one that would play well at parties.

Since its the Governors birthday....

Red Heat.

Arnie plays a Russian policeman who heads west to apprehend a drug dealer who killed his partner and ends up paired with wise-ass Jim Belushi. Its run of the mill mis-matched buddy cop fare enlivened by direction from Walter Hill and spotting the people who ended up famous in the 90's like Gina Gershon and Lawrence Fishburne. It's still an entertaining picture that passes the time nicely though not one of my favorite films from either Walter Hill or Arnie.

Running man.

Nicking the title (and little else) from a short story by Richard Bachman (Stephen Kings Pseudonym) Arnie plays a cop who refuses to kill innocent civilians and ends up on the wrong side of the law and ultimately a participant in a game-show that makes up the Circus of the bread and circuses of a fascist dystopia. He's joined in the casting by Maria Conchita Alonso star of every film of the 80's as well as Jim Brown, Yaphet Koto, Jesse Ventura, Eddie bunker and a shit-ton of other quality stars. Essentially Arnie has to beat a bunch of themed gladiators, beat the game and overthrow the facist regime.
Bits of the film seem oddly prophetic rewatching it after so many years. There's plenty of violence, a decent setting and lots of action so the film remains pretty kicjk-ass.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Running Man is a classic, and also has the best comeback ever to Arnie's trademark "I'll be back" catchphrase.
Old 31st July 2015, 06:43 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I can't stand The Running Man for the reason that it completely pisses all over the source material... I guess I'd be more inclined to enjoy it if it didn't try to tie into King's superb story.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 31st July 2015, 06:51 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I can't stand The Running Man for the reason that it completely pisses all over the source material... I guess I'd be more inclined to enjoy it if it didn't try to tie into King's superb story.
Best way to enjoy it is to try and ignore the fact its supposed to be an adaptation. Its not at all. Taken on its own merits its quite a lot of fun. Not as good at Total recall, Terminator 1 & 2 or predator, its still entertaining and has some things to say that are perhaps more relevant now than they were when the film was made. I'd not seen it in a good few years and time can age a film badly however this is one that still holds up.

Like this? Share it using the links below!