All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2015, 10:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015) - 6.5/10

More or less on a par with the last two, but for me personally it's feeling a bit 'same-old same-old' now. It's got to be the best fifth instalment in a series though, nothing better is springing to mind anyway.
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier surely?
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 31st July 2015, 10:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

1966: Part 2

Blow Up - Set in London during the swinging 60's. Ending is somewhat strange but very much a product of it time. Michelangelo Antonioni's first English-language movie. Interesting!

Carry On Screaming - Not my favourite 'Carry On'.

Return of the Magnificent Seven - Yul Brynner returns with another six to fight more Mexican Banditos. Pretty much the same sort of thing really.

Don't Lose Your Head - This is more like it! One of my favourites. With Kenneth Williams as Citizen Camembert 'The Big Cheese!' The first film in the franchise not to have 'Carry On' in the title. All the regulars are here bar one or two.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum - Something funny may have happened but I think I blinked and missed it! Richard Lester's musical comedy set in Ancient Rome features comedy great Buster Keaton in his final role. A career that lasted 49 years!

Fahrenheit 451 - Dystopian sci-fi from François Truffaut, a classic! I can think of at least one book I'd like to burn......'A Kestrel for a Knave' by Barry Hines...I was forced to read this as an English assignment at school! Hated it!

Un Homme et une Femme - More French 'New Wave'. Its not a genre I particulary like, although this did feature some good motor racing! Winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign picture 1966.

That Riviera Touch - Another Morecambe & Wise picture. Marginally better than their last one. It would become a trend over the next few years to see more TV celebs and comedy shows try their hand at the bigger screen. Not all would succeed, this would be a prime example.

Mondo Topless - A Russ Meyer 'nudie cutie'. Lots of swinging breasts....enough to give you a neck ache....or an arm like Quagmire!

The Blue Max - Its a little overlong but the flying sequences in this WWI drama make up for that! Read the book a few years ago and wasn't overly impressed

One Million Years B.C - Raquel Welch....Fur bikini....Dinosaurs!
Old 1st August 2015, 12:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Fatal Move (aka Triad Wars)

I got this from a HK friend to watch and must admit it was interesting to see how HK action films had developed by 2008.

There's that slow,boring and even artsy aspect of modern HK film turning up and just when you think this will be a waste of time...in comes the old school adrenalin fuelling HK action...nice.

But don't get your hopes up,this doesn't offer that much...with Simon Yam being basically wasted and Sammo Hung being a rather unbelievable (and certainly uncool) crime boss.

And then there's the cgi which modern HK film makers can't seem to get enough of...luckily it's limited to some blood and body parts...and only sparsely used in a few scenes...like they knew it wasn't a good idea.

It's rated Cat III but forget about seeing some naughty bits (which seems to be a no-no in most newer HK films) as the rating is obviously for some brutal and sadistic scenes of violence.

Overall I'd say this was an ok-ish film and it was nice to see Simon and Sammo again but I wish it would have been in a more suited and better film.

Lots of triad (or tong) films have been made in HK over the years and to give you an idea where this ranks,this movie compares badly to even a minor 80's classic like this one:

Old 2nd August 2015, 07:23 AM
Cult Addict

50 shades of grey.

If Cheryl Tunt from Archer was deprived of oxygen for too long and suffered catastrophic brain damage, this is the film that might result. Found it cheap in a charity shop so decided to watch it before trading it in at CEX. I bemoaned the gender politics of Strip nude for your killer, but that at least had the excuse of being directed by Andreas Bianchi. This vile, shallow and ultimately dull pile of badger excrement was actually made by WOMEN. Perhaps erotic to the sort of worthless trash that masturbates to Apple Catalogue and continue to try and justify that stupid I-watch this is all surface and zero substance with some of the worst dialogue I have ever heard.
Do not watch this, even as a joke, its clearly made by the sort of mouth breathing idiot who dreams about being the sex puppet in an abusive relationship with a cold, uninteresting Billionaire who makes his money in indeterminate ways. Just be aware that all it takes is hard work to be a billionaire as the insufferable Mr Grey goes to great lengths to make it clear luck plays no part in his success (neocon garbage) On Facebook I classified this as a Hate crime, In the cold light of day I don not retract that statement one bit. Its F&%^&* eye and soul cancer of the worst kind. I feel my eyes need chemotherapy. I switched this off somewhere around the half way point, last time I did that was for the abominable transformers 2, a film that appeared to have been made by a racist with ADD.

AVOID.
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
50 shades of grey.

If Cheryl Tunt from Archer was deprived of oxygen for too long and suffered catastrophic brain damage, this is the film that might result. Found it cheap in a charity shop so decided to watch it before trading it in at CEX. I bemoaned the gender politics of Strip nude for your killer, but that at least had the excuse of being directed by Andreas Bianchi. This vile, shallow and ultimately dull pile of badger excrement was actually made by WOMEN. Perhaps erotic to the sort of worthless trash that masturbates to Apple Catalogue and continue to try and justify that stupid I-watch this is all surface and zero substance with some of the worst dialogue I have ever heard.
Do not watch this, even as a joke, its clearly made by the sort of mouth breathing idiot who dreams about being the sex puppet in an abusive relationship with a cold, uninteresting Billionaire who makes his money in indeterminate ways. Just be aware that all it takes is hard work to be a billionaire as the insufferable Mr Grey goes to great lengths to make it clear luck plays no part in his success (neocon garbage) On Facebook I classified this as a Hate crime, In the cold light of day I don not retract that statement one bit. Its F&%^&* eye and soul cancer of the worst kind. I feel my eyes need chemotherapy. I switched this off somewhere around the half way point, last time I did that was for the abominable transformers 2, a film that appeared to have been made by a racist with ADD.

AVOID.
Good review. Shame I haven't seen it, otherwise I'd join you in the lynching. It's certainly not going anywhere near my 'to watch' list now (not that ever was, for those of you who thought I might be into designer neocon softcore for I-watch masturbators!)
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Let's look at a far more wholesome movie -

BLOOD FEAST – You could say that 'contemporary' horror began with 'Night Of The Living Dead', but those kind of arguments are a bit arbitrary anyway. An equally good case could be made for 'Blood Feast' as being the point at which horror stopped messing about in the shadows and got down 'n' dirty. It's definitely the first splatter movie, and holds a well earned place in history as being the first flick which consciously set out to make money by showing its audience a bunch of entrails. How does it hold up these days? Well, H G Lewis was not the most sophisticated filmmaker – not that that was ever the point, but we are talking about an old, fairly primitive film here. It's not a smooth viewing experience, but it doesn't have to be. In fact, maybe THAT'S the point. These kind of films, ancient, badly made – they seem so alien to our cosseted latter day movie going eyes. It's a challenge to invest in them. It's a challenge to find meaning in an endless static shot of two coppers talking in the most expository way possible. A lot of 'Blood Feast' is like that, but it's not the whole story. The moment I'm about to write Lewis off as some dude who could just about point a movie camera, something'll happen to negate that view. A shot of a snake writhing on a beach next to some guts. A bloodied head fading out into a cop car's red light. A statue of an Egyptian goddess weeping tears of blood. Visual gags like these are part of Lewis's style. There are some odd scenes too, like the one where a drunken couple, a sailor and a good time girl, walk drunkenly up the stairs to their motel room accompanied by mournful violin on the soundtrack. They take ages. What's that? Boring? Oddly moving? Just incongruous? Meaningful? Meaningless? Old H G is smiling at us as we scratch our heads. Anyway, besides all that, I always find plenty to like about 'Blood Feast' in the end. It's not played for laughs, but it doesn't exactly take itself seriously. Although, just when you think you can safely pat it on the head it'll turn round and bite ya with some surprisingly grim and gloating gore. Like maybe all of Lewis's sixties gore films, 'Blood Feast' is a contradictory, slightly schizophrenic experience, its woodenness somehow at one with its freakiness. It has nostalgia value for me. I remember feeling those doom laden drum beats in my stomach when I was a kid. That creepy organ sounded so evocative then, and still does.
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi guys, watched "the dead zone" last night.
not seen this for years, not exactly a horror, but really enjoyed it.
bdc, keirarts, trebor8273 and 2 others like this.
Old 2nd August 2015, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
50 shades of grey.

AVOID.
So didn't you like it then?
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
hi guys, watched "the dead zone" last night.
not seen this for years, not exactly a horror, but really enjoyed it.
I think it's exactly horror, a fantastic one at that. Easily my favourite Stephen King adaptation. Brilliant film.

As for 50 Shades. I'd rather watch my own Colonoscopy.
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
I think it's exactly horror, a fantastic one at that. Easily my favourite Stephen King adaptation. Brilliant film.

As for 50 Shades. I'd rather watch my own Colonoscopy.
I have! And believe me I'd rather watch 50 Shades!!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!