All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2015, 12:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Prophecy: Forsaken. (2005)

Usually when your film series loses actors of the calibre of Christopher Walken, Viggo Mortensen and Virginia Madsen and gains the likes of Kari Wuhrer, Tony Todd, Jason Scott Lee (wasn't he in Steps?) and Doug Bradley, you can tell the quality on offer is in terminal decline. (Perhaps this is a tad unfair on Bradley who's Hellraiser series apparently went even more downhill when he left) Unfortunately for The Prophecy: Forsaken this decline is all too easily apparent to the point of getting so bogged down in tedious exposition that it all becomes extremely boring.

I like the original Walken starring film. I like it a lot. Back in 1995 when it originally became available direct to video, i and many others felt it was deserving of a theatrical run it was so good. Telling the story of the Archangel Gabriel and his hunt for souls, it was a classic tale of an angelic civil war here on earth as Lucifer and others step in and all hell breaks loose.

The Prophecy: Forsaken deals with the coming of the Antichrist and an ancient book that forewarns of it's coming. It has none of the ambition of the original film and feels tired and uninvolving. Kari Wuhrer tries but fails to come across as a worthy heroine and Tony Todd does his usual standing in the shadows whispering routine that he perfected in the far more worthy Candyman films.

There are sporadic action sequences, if running through washing lines can be considered action and the odd bits of bloody violence but it's nothing you haven't seen before and in much better movies. The film runs for a measly 70 minutes plus end credits but even that seems overlong so little entertainment is on offer.

By all means seek out the three original Prophecy films. All star the ever watchable Christopher Walken and are worthy of your attention but i'd stop after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2157028.jpg (25.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th November 2015, 12:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Usually when your film series loses actors of the calibre of Christopher Walken, Viggo Mortensen and Virginia Madsen and gains the likes of Kari Wuhrer, Tony Todd, Jason Scott Lee (wasn't he in Steps?) and Doug Bradley, you can tell the quality on offer is in terminal decline. (Perhaps this is a tad unfair on Bradley who's Hellraiser series apparently went even more downhill when he left) Unfortunately for The Prophecy: Forsaken this decline is all too easily apparent to the point of getting so bogged down in tedious exposition that it all becomes extremely boring.

I like the original Walken starring film. I like it a lot. Back in 1995 when it originally became available direct to video, i and many others felt it was deserving of a theatrical run it was so good. Telling the story of the Archangel Gabriel and his hunt for souls, it was a classic tale of an angelic civil war here on earth as Lucifer and others step in and all hell breaks loose.

The Prophecy: Forsaken deals with the coming of the Antichrist and an ancient book that forewarns of it's coming. It has none of the ambition of the original film and feels tired and uninvolving. Kari Wuhrer tries but fails to come across as a worthy heroine and Tony Todd does his usual standing in the shadows whispering routine that he perfected in the far more worthy Candyman films.

There are sporadic action sequences, if running through washing lines can be considered action and the odd bits of bloody violence but it's nothing you haven't seen before and in much better movies. The film runs for a measly 70 minutes plus end credits but even that seems overlong so little entertainment is on offer.

By all means seek out the three original Prophecy films. All star the ever watchable Christopher Walken and are worthy of your attention but i'd stop after that.
Oh, Miss. Wuhrer. When will you get the role you deserve?

I've never seen Uprising and Forsaken but I am curious. I loved the original trilogy. Gregory Widen has a knack for creating intriguing mythologies for adults.
Old 5th November 2015, 02:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Did the original not get a theatrical release? I remember Barry Norman reviewing once years ago on Film whatever it was then.
Old 5th November 2015, 04:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Did the original not get a theatrical release? I remember Barry Norman reviewing once years ago on Film whatever it was then.
Only in America where it only made $16m.
Old 5th November 2015, 04:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Totally agree with your reviews Frankie.

Demonium i found almost unwatchable...almost!

The Horseman is one of those grimy Aussie films that mangles Wolf Creek for Breakfast and The Pack is full of Gallic madness. I remember buying The Pack at Asda along with Devil's Rock. Weirdly both films are on my shelf sat right next to The Horseman.
I also completely agree with your reviews and really enjoyed both The Horseman and The Pack, which I haven't seen since I reviewed them prior to release on DVD!
Old 5th November 2015, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Color of Money

Strange a film I had totally forgotten about,Don't think ive seen it since it was originally released and surprising still id forgotten it was directed by Martin Scorsese.I should imagine at the time Tom Cruise was the new talent on the block made the same year as Top Gun,But its Paul Newman who steals the whole film,he just oozes cool and class and is so enigmatic its hard not to take your eyes of this ageing actor.The actual film is abit meh,did we need a sequel to the Hustler? Scorsese direction seems rather lanquid compared to his other films,but its Richard Price's script and dialogue that really sizzle although the actual tournament is another let down.For me this is Newman's film and just more proof he was a great actor.

Old 5th November 2015, 09:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Double bill.....

KING OF THE ZOMBIES (MONOGRAM 1941) SPOOKS RUN WILD (MONOGRAM 1941)

Two more low budget thrills.
In KING OF THE ZOMBIES, a plane gets blown off course and crashes on an island. The occupants seek shelter in a mansion and soon there is talk of zombies and people walking through walls.......
Good comedy horror with man servant Mantan Moreland stealing the show throughout as scared to death Jefferson Jackson.
In SPOOKS RUN WILD, the East Side Kids take on Bela Lugosi and his midget friend when Bela invites them inside his house when one of the gang is hurt. They are convinced that Bela is 'The Monster' they have heard about...
More rowdy goings on with the East Side Kids shouting thier way through the movie. Bela is a joy to watch. He's really creepy and actually looks quite a bit like Dracula in the suit he wears.
Old 5th November 2015, 09:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Terminator Genisys (2015) Took a bit of a panning on release but I saw it tonight for the first time and although it's nowhere near as good as T1, T2 and dare I say it T3 it is better than T4. Time travel movies do it for me so it had that going for it.

Old 5th November 2015, 10:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

I liked it. It's about the same level as T3 to me.
Old 5th November 2015, 10:48 PM
Cult Addict

I watched it this afternoon, i really liked it, way better than T3 i thought, better than Salvation though i do like that one. Poor casting with Jai Courtney though, he's no Michael Biehn.

Last edited by J Harker; 5th November 2015 at 11:42 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!