All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179739Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2015, 08:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Tenderness of the wolves

Given the utter dreck that Uli Lommel seems content to shit out these days it's difficult to believe that at one point he was a film-maker capable of turning out something genuinely great. Here Arrow deliver exhibit A to prove he can with a film produced by the legendary Reiner Werner Fassbinder an early mentor with whom Lommel learned much of the craft.
Based on the real life case of Fritz Haarmann, knows as the vampire of Hanover it depicts the day to day life of a serial killer with a surprising amount of restraint. The film switches betweens his social circle, all of who know something is up but don't want to say anything and Haarmann, played to perfection by Kurt Raab, wandering the streets of Hanover eyeing up potential victims. We don't get to see that many murders, a lot is implied and suggested in a way that when a killing finally occurs its actually pretty shocking, and presented in an almost matter of fact way. Raab also wrote the film and did set design and his depiction of Haarman is chillingly believably contrasting an almost cherubic round face with an unsettling intensity behind the eyes that's reminiscent of Peter Lorre. In fact in several places the film even harks back to M and the opening scene of a shadow walking down a street over the credits is very expressionist influenced.
Tenderness is a film worth checking out, its almost infuriating that Lommel couldn't deliver anything nearly as good after moving to America as its clear he had talent. Arrow's blu-ray looks fantastic.
Yeah, what the hell happened to Lommel? While The Bogey Man is no classic, it demonstrated technical competence. But since then, and especially since the turn of the millennium, he has made cheap, nasty dreck. Curse of the Zodiac was abysmal. There's no hint of a greater talent buried within his films nowadays. It's rather depressing, to say the least.
Old 27th October 2015, 09:27 AM
Cult Addict

Blood and Black Lace, watched this the other night in a rare two films in one night hoorah.
While i have quite a few of Mario Bava's films this is only the third one I've actually watched.
I enjoyed it but i did find the whole fashion house thing a bit blah. I need to watch it again as while its not complicated it was late and i found a lot of the characters looked similar.
Like the other Bava films I've watched it looks bloody gorgeous though.
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 27th October 2015, 09:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Yeah, what the hell happened to Lommel? While The Bogey Man is no classic, it demonstrated technical competence. But since then, and especially since the turn of the millennium, he has made cheap, nasty dreck. Curse of the Zodiac was abysmal. There's no hint of a greater talent buried within his films nowadays. It's rather depressing, to say the least.
He has turned out an endless procession of horrible dreck which has amounted to nothing much. But I do like some of them - vid cam efforts like 'The Raven' have a really scrambled, low brow surrealism about them. On the other hand, 'Tenderness...' was made under the auspices of a legendary control freak, so you wonder how much of it was actually his.
Old 27th October 2015, 09:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I think film critics all agree that Tenderness is essentially a Fassbinder film.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th October 2015, 04:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I think film critics all agree that Tenderness is essentially a Fassbinder film.
I dunno, Stephen thrower makes a great case for Lomell on the Blu-ray...
Old 27th October 2015, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977276.124262.jpg

While not quite as good as the first it's still a lot of fun, for a film with so many main characters they all get equal amount of screen time and story. The fight between ironman and the hulk is one of the highlights as is James spades performance as Ultron. Also sets things up for marvels phase 3. Only real downside was "quicksilver" who was just ultra annoying. 8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977630.740744.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977640.727173.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977658.235248.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977666.780403.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977676.597434.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977687.499843.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445977696.621513.jpg
Old 27th October 2015, 07:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Old 37;

For a movie that featured Bill Moseley and Kane Hodder; I certainly didn't see a whole lot of Bill Moseley or Kane Hodder. The trailer caught my eye, initially; but the movie itself, didn't do a whole lot for me. A total waste of two fine horror actor's.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th October 2015, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Guys this was a few pages back but i didn't respond as i was attending 'The school of Keirarts: How to review the shit out of the Halloween series and make fourm users want to buy the set!'

After re buying a ton of Halloween on Feebay i had time to respond to a few comments a few pages back -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Personally i think My Bloody Valentine is excellent. Suspenseful and full of great kills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Me too, much better than the original
Guys i don;t know what to say about this, the film looked like a dud but having said that you must remember that my all time top movie is Dawn of the Dead and most folks think that's wank. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Personaly i think we need more writers like Stephen King where their imagination is of the wtf scale.
Because if we didnt have people like him so many films wouldnt be made
I mean what normal mind would think of Human centipede.?
David cronenberg a prime example especialy with films like videodrome.
Or some of the j horrors
Personally imo todays film writers etc are lacking these people imagination and we need someone to come along and make something new and fresh, yes occasional get odd films that comes along, but if we had more like them then we wouldn't have to rely on reboots, remakes, and.? V? Because lets be fair the film industry is running out of ideas for something new and fresh. And is churning out the same old rubbish.
Gag i love your replies but mate if you think Stephen King is a good representative of an 'Original' Writer i think we have a disagreement. I like King's work and hopefully that was reflected in my review of 'Thinner' but he isn't revolutionizing the world of literature in the same way that best selling singer Katy Perry isn't revolutionizing the world of song writing. selling lots of stuff doesn't always mean you are peddling something unique. I agree that we should encourage all writer and film makers to push the boundaries, Bryan Fuller's Hannibal is incredible and you won't find a man who loves Thomas Harris's original stories more than me. As for human centipede, there's no argument that would make me want that releasing, some things don;t need to be seen and that is one of them. But again i understand freedom of expression so i wouldn't protest human centipede but it sure would make me re think your invitation to my wedding if i knew you owned it on dvd. HAHAHA!

Mate you're brilliant and i'm just happy anyone actually read my reviews so thanks for the feedback.
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 27th October 2015, 08:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Guys i don;t know what to say about this, the film looked like a dud but having said that you must remember that my all time top movie is Dawn of the Dead and most folks think that's wank. Haha.
Who the hell thinks Dawn of the Dead is wank???!!
MacBlayne, keirarts, Vipp and 1 others like this.
Old 27th October 2015, 08:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Who the hell thinks Dawn of the Dead is wank???!!
HAHAHAHA! J i love your responses. I think a few people on the forum don;t worship the movie like i do, maybe 'wank' was a poor word to use. lol.

Like this? Share it using the links below!