Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2017, 04:25 PM
Cult Addict

justice league of america

Closest comparison for me is suicide squad. A film that's been rescued in editing and reshoots and moulded into something very watchable. It's not a classic, in fact it's not a very good film at all but it rolls things along for a two hour running time where things mostly make sense, the humour actually lands occasionally and isn't just endless colour drained scenes of people in costumes weeping in the rain. Hell, superman actually starts to feel like superman and not Zac Snyder's apology for the character. His interactions with the Flash actually could have been taken from one of the animated shows.
The films still messy in places. Some iffy editing and some humour feeling forced and a little grating. The biggest bugbears for me was that any of the human scenes don't work and are either plain boring or completely senseless unless you know your comics. Steppenwolf, the main villains plan makes no real sense beyond uniting boxes to do bad things unless your au fait with the new gods back story. Steppenwolf himself is a big problem. The special effects are fairly shit, especially in the final act. Steppenwolf himself is something else however. If you wound the clock back 15 years and walked into one of the Lord of the rings films you'd have thought weta workshop had dropped the ball. Now it's bad enough to be genuinely distracting. It's not helped that he has some of the worst dialogue in the film however.

Overall it's not as good as wonder woman (awful ending included) but it's not the absolute garbage fire of stupidity that Batman vs Superman was.
Old 19th November 2017, 04:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rosemary's Baby is merely average, just a kitchen sink drama that's as scary as seeing a spider on your wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Exactly. Glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t get why it’s always in the Top Ten of Best Horror Films lists
Your defeatist comments really make me want to rewatch this film.
Old 19th November 2017, 04:53 PM
Cult Addict

Well i for one really rate Rosemary's Baby , with the slow build up of paranoia and tension, the creepy overbearing neighbours (helps that i really like Ruth Gordon from 'Harold and Maude') and the unexpected outcome.

Also although Mia Farrow starts off irritating i really begin to feel for her as the film unfolds and her playing of growing terror, then sheer panic is great.

Also the theme by Krzysztof Komeda is beautiful and haunting..

Ignore Dem and Rik, it's a great film.

e08547c977fbe6bd287331557fd48a30.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th November 2017, 05:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Well i for one really rate Rosemary's Baby , with the slow build up of paranoia and tension, the creepy overbearing neighbours (helps that i really like Ruth Gordon from 'Harold and Maude') and the unexpected outcome.

Also although Mia Farrow starts off irritating i really begin to feel for her as the film unfolds and her playing of growing terror, then sheer panic is great.

Also the theme by Krzysztof Komeda is beautiful and haunting..

Ignore Dem and Rik, it's a great film.

Attachment 199054
Mia Farrow starts off being irritating and... never stops.
Rik, troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 19th November 2017, 05:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Mia Farrow starts off being irritating and... never stops.
Well, to be fair she's been surrounded by awful people most of her life. Working for Polanski, married to Sinatra, then hooking up with Allen. Enough to make anyone irritating, i imagine. Art imitating life innit.
troggi likes this.
Old 19th November 2017, 05:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

So we both watched a film with Lionel Stander D

Ahem.

Gold (Peter Hunt )
Roger Moore is .... Roger Moore in this Wilbur Smith adaptation. Unscrupulous capitalists (are there any other kind??) plan to make more money at the expense of a few workers lives. Sadly RM is at hand with his trademark decency. Well .... he does jump into bed with his bosses wife first chance he gets ahem ....
Middling 'actioner' with prolonged sequence 'in water' and yes, real water not CGI. Interesting also to hear the word 'chicken shit' and see a man's face ripped off in a PG rated film ( was it an A at the time? hmmm ....)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 19th November 2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 19th November 2017, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Exactly. Glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t get why it’s always in the Top Ten of Best Horror Films lists
I put that down to lazy journalism myself. The genre having moved on a tad etc.

Polanski always did divide opinion. I have a soft spot for TFVK as it was a formative influence ahem. The Tenant is what it is. A classic
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th November 2017, 06:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Vault (2017)

A stylish but not very compelling film about two sisters who lead a team in a bank robbery, the problem is, the vault is haunted.

The Vault was one of those films where i didn't like a single character nor did i care what happened to them. Attempts at characterisation were either non-existent or clumsy from the off. The opening half hour - the bank heist - wasn't bad but sadly it fell away after that.

The ghosts when they appeared were signposted by the most atrocious music - why can't a face appear behind someone then disappear without a huge dance style beat on the soundtrack? Surely making this happen quietly leaving the viewer guessing if they've just seen something is a lot more well, creepy and thought provoking. The same goes for the lighting effects. Whenever the apparitions appeared we were inflicted strobe lighting upon us...why? Seriously! It's just shit!

There's an attempt at a twist ending but by that time i was thinking why bother with any subtlety when all you've done so far is hit us about the head with a sledge hammer?

I've seen a lot worse than The Vault and so will you, but i don't recommend it.

Dan Bush, this film's director also made The Signal back in 2007. That i do recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheVault_Quad.jpg (96.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 19th November 2017, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict

Ellie

A late entry into the comedy hicksploitation genre from the mid 80s. Ellie uses her body to kill the men who killed her father...

Not a lot to say about this, you either like this kind of crud or you don't. However it stars Shelly Winters at her middle aged best...you can smell the cheap cigs, moonshine and last night's sweaty sex coming from her in waves every time she appears on screen. What a gal.
Old 19th November 2017, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It still suffers from the same problems that plauged BvsS and man of steel, poor pacing and being disjointed but it's not as bad here, the league are all likable and each get more or less equel screen time. Once again the CGI is awful in places ,which seems to be a norm for the DC films, it's especially awful with the villian who looks like something out of a video game, also doesn't help that he is a poor and forgettable villian and is easily the worst thing in the film., we have a rather poor ending which made the league seem redundant. As I said the new characters all come of likable Flash gives the film and the league some heart and humour , cyborg who I fought would be boring , was interesting and would like to see how they develop him with his solo movie. Henry Cavil while no Chis Reeves is finally getting the character right and wasn't as boring and charmless as before. Better than BvsS and man of steel but not as good as Wonder Woman , DC do your self a favour and dump who ever does your special effects.

7.4/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!