Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2017, 07:44 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Three on a Meathook.

This starts out like a XXX film with the filth removed before moving on into some kind of sub Bergman meander on existence before turning into a love story then ends up as a cannibal shocker complete with a doctor behind a desk explaining everything. One of the most enjoyable films I have seen this year.
Old 19th November 2017, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Three on a Meathook.

This starts out like a XXX film with the filth removed before moving on into some kind of sub Bergman meander on existence before turning into a love story then ends up as a cannibal shocker complete with a doctor behind a desk explaining everything. One of the most enjoyable films I have seen this year.

I’ve wanted to watch this for years, ever since reading about it in book I bought from my local library for 50p back in 1991!
I’m gonna have to seek it out now
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th November 2017, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict

Mistress of the Apes

Larry Buchanan directed monkey madness with comedy songs on the soundtrack every now and then.

This one had me questioning my own cult film hipster status, wondering if I was too cool for liking it or do I have no critical judgement left after a lifetime of bathing my eyes in the shit stinking swamp of z-grade bilge.
Old 19th November 2017, 07:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I’ve wanted to watch this for years, ever since reading about it in book I bought from my local library for 50p back in 1991!
I’m gonna have to seek it out now
I really liked it even though nothing happens for long periods of time and I do mean nothing. I watched it on Amazon Prime...the home of shite old and new.
Rik, Demoncrat, keirarts and 3 others like this.
Old 19th November 2017, 07:56 PM
Cult Addict

I've still got the exploited label U.K VHS of '3 on a meathook'.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th November 2017, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Going for broke with a Moore double bill ... Moonraker ... the film I got to see at the pictures instead of Alien as my mum didn't fancy it
Or was it The Black Hole?

Watched Empire btw. This time it was all about the puppet.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th November 2017, 08:59 PM
Cult Addict

Lust of the Vampire Girls

Zero budget attempt to make a Jean Rollin film with Nazis using vampires to become immortal.

This pretty much falls short in every way: plot, dialogue, imagery and acting. It is just incredibly flat and tedious which oddly enough is exactly what makes Rollin's films work so well.
Old 19th November 2017, 09:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Long Dark Hall (1951)

This is more like it.

Broadway musical star Rex Harrison is totally out of his acting depth in this tale of a man convicted of murdering a show girl whilst the real killer worms his way into Harrison's wife's life.

Part shadowy Noir, part courtroom thriller, The Long Dark Hall is a solid film with a sadly rushed ending that is probably quite unlike what it's author, famed Salford crime writer Edgar Lustgarten envisioned. However Dr. No's Anthony Dawson makes for an inspired creepy protagonist as he stalks pretty young women in the shadowy streets.

The Network dvd restored by the BFI looks and sounds great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25796.jpg (98.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th November 2017, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Callan (1974, Don Sharp)
The 70s TV adaptation that everyone forgets ahem. Seedier than Palmer, our boy returns to the fold for one last job. Anthony Valentine excels as a nemesis/fellow agent and Russell Hunter is an apology in human form as timid informant Lonely. Brisk if uneven pacing.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th November 2017, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Disney's answer to star wars and the slew of movies that popped up in its wake, unlike the star wars this was a very dark film especially for Disney at the time and what was supposed to be aimed at children, as I said it's very dark and for a young boy with a overactive imagination it was very scary with the psychotic robot Maximilian , robot zombies and the end scenes when they enter "Hell" I really wish they had went with the planned remake, but sadly that's been in limbo for years.9/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th November 2017 at 11:09 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!