Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2020, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Marble Hornets

And breathe (and piss and put the kettle on .....)

Apparently there was a lot of "additional" material on the Twitter? Which does explain why some of it just does not make sense ahem. The ending was .... a tad underwhelming imho.

Guess what? They made a bloody film as well!! I don't think I'll be "Always Watching" that one cough cough.
Some decent imagery aside, this is about the "shakiest" I've seen and would not recommend it to anyone with epilepsy ahem.

Now I'm going to watch Magnum Force

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 16th December 2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 16th December 2020, 07:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Imagine Me & You. A young woman (Piper Perabo) thinks she's happy marrying her best friend, only to start becoming powerfully and unexpectedly attracted to someone else at her wedding - another woman (Lena Headey). This mid 2000s romantic comedy is lightweight but amusing and sweet enough to pass muster, and Anthony Head is funny as Perabo's zoned-out dad.
Old 17th December 2020, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 11

The Assent (2019)

The film title refers to the third stage of demonic possession - the first two being the presence and the affliction. The Assent is one of the subtler demonic possession movies i've seen, dealing with a child being possessed (don't they all) but also the child's father's schizophrenia which manifests itself in weird and wonderful ways throughout the film giving quick flashes of Hellraiser style malevolence which director Pearry Reginald Teo did so brilliantly in Necromentia (2009).

Although clearly low budget the film does a pretty good job of keeping things interesting with one or two flourishes that make this different from the norm. For instance having a nurse (An uncredited Tatum O' Neal) on hand during the exorcism in case things go awry.

The Assent is a slo-burn horror movie which won't appeal to all, especially those who like jump scares every fifteen minutes, but it is well acted by all and has a good use of practical effects. All in all although it's not a particularly original film it's one i'll return to in the future and i can't say the same about most films of this genre.
Old 17th December 2020, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 12

Double Date (2017)

Two guys hook up with two deadly sisters who drug them and take them back to their place for some occult style sacrifice.

Same territory as We Summon the Darkness here. Murderous girls and lads playing the victim and it played out pretty similar too. Absolutely loved it whilst it was a kind of Inbetweeners style smutty lads on the lash style comedy but when it became a slasher movie it tread water, dispensed with all the laugh out loud comedy and became tiresome.

For me Michael Socha (Brother of Misfits star Lauren) was the standout performer. His idiocy keeps the movie rolling from one preposterous level to the next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg double-date-review.jpg (40.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th December 2020, 01:22 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Assent (2019)

The film title refers to the third stage of demonic possession - the first two being the presence and the affliction. The Assent is one of the subtler demonic possession movies i've seen, dealing with a child being possessed (don't they all) but also the child's father's schizophrenia which manifests itself in weird and wonderful ways throughout the film giving quick flashes of Hellraiser style malevolence which director Pearry Reginald Teo did so brilliantly in Necromentia (2009).

Although clearly low budget the film does a pretty good job of keeping things interesting with one or two flourishes that make this different from the norm. For instance having a nurse (An uncredited Tatum O' Neal) on hand during the exorcism in case things go awry.

The Assent is a slo-burn horror movie which won't appeal to all, especially those who like jump scares every fifteen minutes, but it is well acted by all and has a good use of practical effects. All in all although it's not a particularly original film it's one i'll return to in the future and i can't say the same about most films of this genre.
Sounds really interesting .
Old 18th December 2020, 09:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's an odd wee thing imho. Stood out against The Lodge and The Blackcoat's Daughter (watched all three one weekend etc). Still recommend TBD though, nice little find that one ...imho. Enjoy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th December 2020, 07:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Annabelle Comes Home. It's a bit lame, innit? And it's kind of a shame cause the set-up is good, the atmosphere is good and the cast/characters are very likeable and watchable, but what really lets is down is the last act, which should be the scariest part but is actually... kinda boring. Eh.
Old 18th December 2020, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Satan Place: Soap Opera From Hell (1988)

Back to the SOV.
A rather amusing little compendium this one, quite gory in places and quite silly in others. Just what the doctor ordered. A hoot.

The Investigation: A Haunting In Sherwood (2019, Richard Mansefield)

FF. When an insurance snooper decides to take the lazy route to his next case, woe is him as this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around. The tenant has two black cats (decent actors the pair tee hee), and the effects were reasonable. Ending did seem a smidgen rushed for all that.

A Haunting In Sherwood 2 (2020)

A sequel? How surprising
This centres around a medium who camps down in the house from the first flick in hope to rise her profile cough. Unluckily for her, a stalker is out to discredit her. That performance was a tad .... OTT. I thought that she was auditioning for The Joker at points tbh
One decent scare for all that ... maybe I shouldn't sit so close to the monitor fnarr.

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 19th December 2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 18th December 2020, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nigel The Psychopath: The 33rd Anniversary Director's Cut

Imagine an unholy pile up of Alien Beasts, Things, Deadly Games aaaaaaaaand it gave me Marble Hornets flashbacks (maaan, I've seen some stuff etc).
Ahem. Obviously filmed in 40 square feet. Some cast members cannot keep a straight face. Still more entertaining than that Tenet.

[B]
Old 19th December 2020, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Heavy Metal Massacre (1989, David De Falco)

Put on a thing called Greedy Terror (wouldn't you??), but the PQ was ... spotty to be diplomatic, so gave up and put this on instead. A tad sluggishly paced, this is the tale of a backcombed bastard who preys on the female denziens of the metal scene. It ambles along with no real sense of urgency. Cops are investigating, but by flip they take their time as well. Hey, they can't all be Video Violence, still the pick of the bunch imho.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!