Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nekromantik 29th January 2010 09:50 AM

Watched Imago Mortis last night.
Had a interesting concept and story but the 2nd half let it down when the story unfolds. I think they could have done a much better job. Reminded me of J-Horror with the ghosts more then a spanish horror.

Pigasus 29th January 2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 60070)
Død Snø
An affable enough comedy. I quite liked it.

Yes, Dead Snow was good fun, I agree... but not so great as frozen-land horror if compared to Cold Prey films.

I saw 88 Minutes, a rather Hitchcockian crime thriller starring Al Pacino...
Not great, but not a bad film, either.

Rob Strange 29th January 2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 60070)
Død Snø

An affable enough comedy. I quite liked it. As a result, I am rethinking my stance against fast moving zombies in cinema! :lol:

I'm a huge fan of Return Of The Living Dead, so I dig sprinting zombies. :thumb:

That said, I'm no fan of Snyder's mediocre, grossly over-stylised Dawn.

Gojirosan 29th January 2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigasus (Post 60221)
Yes, Dead Snow was good fun, I agree... but not so great as frozen-land horror if compared to Cold Prey films.

By coincidence, the double disk set of the Cold Prey films arrived in the post this morning!

Gojirosan 29th January 2010 02:08 PM

Ooops, forgot what I watched last night:

Day Of The Dead

The "remake" that is...I've never really had much desire to watch it, but it was on ITV4 the other night, so I set the PVR...

I had always heard that this was just awful, a real clanging turkey of a film, which intrigued me as a lot of people seem to rate Zack Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead remake which I consider to be one of the most inept, lumpen efforts at horror cinema I have ever had the misfortune to sit through. "If people rate Snyder's Dawn... but hate Miner's Day..." I reasoned, "just how bad is it?" So I set out to find the answer.

Well, not as bad as the remake of Dawn Of The Dead, as it turned out. It's not that it's a good film, it's more that Snyder's effort was so appallingly bad. But Day..., for all it's problems, was watchable. Sure, the pacing was way off (from zero to breakneck throughout with nothing in between), the zombies were ridiculous creations (a disease promoting decay and pustulence that makes its victim gain superhuman powers? Hmmmm...) and there was a lot of the irritating flashy MTV stylings to the film-making that marred Snyder's fiolm. But also, the story was a nice simple and to-the-point "run from the hordes" affair, the cast were really quite good (especially Mena Suvari who got the most from a pretty witlessly written part) and it didn't outstay its welcome.

Taken on its own merits, rather than comparing it to Romero's Day..., it is an unpretentious and fairly fun little B flick; certainly superior to the Dawn Of The Dead remake, if not in the same league as the Romero original.

Not something I'll buy on DVD, but then still a reasonable time waster and thus a nice surprise.

So, the search for something worse than Zack Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead continues. Is it time to watch Contagium? :lol:

antmumford 29th January 2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 60227)

I had always heard that this was just awful, a real clanging turkey of a film, which intrigued me as a lot of people seem to rate Zack Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead remake which I consider to be one of the most inept, lumpen efforts at horror cinema I have ever had the misfortune to sit through. "If people rate Snyder's Dawn... but hate Miner's Day..." I reasoned, "just how bad is it?" So I set out to find the answer.

Well, not as bad as the remake of Dawn Of The Dead, as it turned out. It's not that it's a good film, it's more that Snyder's effort was so appallingly bad.

I could not DISAGREE more

vincenzo 29th January 2010 03:08 PM

Swords at the ready. ON GUARD!..... :fencing:

Rob Strange 29th January 2010 03:12 PM

:lol:

:horse:

Snyder's Dawn definitely has a lot of loving fans. I don't quite hate it (some flair here and there), but I don't think it's anything above average, and that's not me simply being reactionary as a fan of the original.

I'm generally not a fan of Zack Snyder's other work, either. All gratuitous slow motion and fussy visual shallowness.

(awaits detonation) ;)

antmumford 29th January 2010 03:39 PM

lol! :lol:

:horse:

Can't argue with it as it's your own personal opinion. It's flawed but still I thought it was very well made. Some great camera work at the beginning and a decent amount of gore made it a rather enjoyable film I thought.

I'm sure I might hate films that you love too, that's the way things go. At least I'm sure we can both agree that the original is superb.

:biggrin:

Rob Strange 29th January 2010 04:02 PM

I did like the chainsaw action in the truck. If the full scene wasn't let down by the Ross Kemp zombie picking up and tossing the barrel of gas, me and the scene could be on speaking terms.

The original is peerless. :thumb: