Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2016, 07:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE (MONOGRAM 1943)

Those East Side Kids are back again. This time, the gang help out a friend by secretly fixing up his new house after his wedding. Trouble is they fix up the wrong house next door that belongs to Bela Lugosi and his Nazi thugs. Bela attempts to scare the kids away by making out that the house is haunted.

The kids are restrained in their shouting around this time and there are a couple of actually quite funny moments. The most enjoyable for me so far of the East Side Kids spooky low budget adventures.
Old 6th January 2016, 07:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)

59/100
Old 6th January 2016, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well that was a disappointment, it look so interesting from the artwork. But what we end up with is a story about a group of people that are invited to a horror directors home who just happens to turn out to be a vampire, awful acting and as about as scary as a episode of scooby doo, also I coudnt understand if it was supposed to be a serious horror or a spoof, this wasn't help by the fact that we had a hunchback who was the spitting image of Marty feldmans character from young Frankenstein. 4.5/10

Next up formula for murder , I do hope this is even slightly better
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (67.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th January 2016, 08:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Well that was a disappointment, it look so interesting from the artwork. But what we end up with is a story about a group of people that are invited to a horror directors home who just happens to turn out to be a vampire, awful acting and as about as scary as a episode of scooby doo, also I coudnt understand if it was supposed to be a serious horror or a spoof, this wasn't help by the fact that we had a hunchback who was the spitting image of Marty feldmans character from young Frankenstein. 4.5/10
Dinner with a Vampire is indeed a little underwhelming - even for a low budget affair that was made for Italian TV. Still, the heart flying through the air scene always forces me to raise a smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Next up formula for murder , I do hope this is even slightly better
Don't worry, it is.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 6th January 2016, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Dinner with a Vampire is indeed a little underwhelming - even for a low budget affair that was made for Italian TV. Still, the heart flying through the air scene always forces me to raise a smile.

Don't worry, it is.
well i think your right the first ten minutes have been better than all of dinner with a vampire, mind it wouldn't be to hard for any movie to be.
Old 6th January 2016, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)

Co-produced by Francis Ford Coppolla as a companion piece to his Bram Stoker's Dracula from a couple of years earlier and directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh as Victor Frankenstein, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is an energetic yet faithful take on the oft filmed classic novel by Shelley. It's testament to the screen writers, Frank Darabont among them, that the film is distilled enough but also authentic to the original story allowing Branagh the director to push Branagh the actor at a frenetic pace, his Victor Frankenstein all hot and sweaty and shirtless, takes on the role in a way you could never imagine Colin Clive or Peter Cushing, (the screens two most famous Frankensteins) wishing to do, in fact they would both probably find Brannagh's take incerdibly vulgar.

Branagh assembles a fine cast. Tom Hulce, John Cleese, Helena Bonham-Carter, Ian Holm, Richard Briers amd Aiden Quinn, all give admirable support but it's the films other star - Robert DeNiro who steals the film, a bit like Karloff did in the Universal films. DeNiro, one of cinemas finest ever actors, brings something else to the role of the monster. At first a hulking mass of bloody stitiches and unquestionable horror, but as the film progresses and time moves on he softens. The wounds slowly heal, DeNiro removes the stitches and he becomes more human. The nuts and bolts of the classic Frankenstein monster are nowhere to be seen in this version and the film benefits from this meaning DeNiro can never be compared to the mighty Karloff, except for character name only. Indeed DeNiro brings a compassion to the role. His scenes with Briers, a blind man who lives in the forest, are short but rather moving and very memorable. This creature isn't out for revenge. He's a monster in name only. He wants to leave the world of men behind, a world that has no tolerance of anything different, but in this creatures case he passionately wants a bride to take with him, a companion to see out his days with. By this stage DeNiro plays the role not as a creature or monster but as a man and it's this aspect that makes Mary Shelley's Frankenstein a very good film in my eyes.

Truth be told there's not an awful lot of horror in the film. Playing out more as a Gothic piece of science fiction drama than anything truly horrible. The creature coming to life in Frankenstein's incredible looking laboratory easily rivals anything we've seen before, the set design throughout the film is flawless. The staircase in Frankenstein's mansion is a stunning piece of design which almosts begs for Dracula to descend down it with his flowing black and red cloak. In fact it's not until the final twenty minutes that the film becomes horror. The monsters revenge attack on Bonham-Carter, Frankenstein's wife, is truly savage and sets the scene for the introduction of the Bride of Frankenstein and a shocking fiery finale.

The film is book ended with Frankenstein being hunted by the creature at the North Pole and coming across a ship captained by Aiden Quinn's Captain Walton. It's through Victor's telling to Walton that we see the film play out until we return to the ice caps at the end as Frankenstein passes away, the creature having caught up with him and in a poignant moment refusing passage with Walton so he can be with his maker, his enemy, his... father, as the two finally die on an iceberg funeral pyre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (37.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 6th January 2016, 09:46 PM
Cult Addict

SILENT NIGHT

Rather good remake/reboot of "Silent Night, Deadly Night". It has Father Christmas with a flame thrower, what more do you need to know!

Continuing the recent conversion of The House of MTDS into one vast wrestling ring as the little Slowlys have become obsessed with all things WWE, I gave 12 ROUNDS 3: LOCKDOWN a spin...poor man's DIE HARD on a tiny budget with a extremely restrained Dean Ambrose as the hero. It could have done with more fight scenes and violence for my money but it does contain a great gratuitous sex scene that completely breaks the flow of the film and has no meaning other than showing female nudity. I will have to use the tried and tested, fast forward button, cushions over the eyes, censor to let the boy and girl MTDS watch it!
Old 6th January 2016, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

@MTDS - The Cena original 12 Rounds is a great bit of entertainment.
Old 6th January 2016, 09:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
@MTDS - The Cena original 12 Rounds is a great bit of entertainment.
Cheers Dem, I will check it out as the boy is a big fan of Cena.
Old 6th January 2016, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Cheers Dem, I will check it out as the boy is a big fan of Cena.
I don't recall any nudity but it is an 'extended harder cut' on dvd.

The Marine is also well worth a watch.

Like this? Share it using the links below!