Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
De Palma's 'Dressed to Kill' as well
Definitely! Another very good example.

De Palma - Sounds Italian anyway.
Old 24th February 2016, 01:36 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rather than suggesting anyone is wrong in how they define giallo i'd say a film fits the criteria for me if it's got several of these aspects to it -

Italian made
Crime
Mystery
Thriller
Suspense
Erotica
Knife wielding maniacs
Fetish
Salacious murders.
With all due respect, sir, and I understand that it is YOUR criteria, there is one thing missing from your list

Black gloves
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th February 2016, 01:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Rather than suggesting anyone is wrong in how they define giallo i'd say a film fits the criteria for me if it's got several of these aspects to it -

Italian made
Crime
Mystery
Thriller
Suspense
Erotica
Knife wielding maniacs
Fetish
Salacious murders.
I know they aren't Italian, but what about Psycho and Peeping Tom? They check most, if not all, of the other criteria.
Old 24th February 2016, 02:00 PM
Cult Veteran

I think that by being Italian made they have a general 'feel' about them which makes them a Giallo, so while other films tick the box they don't feel like a Giallo movie. It's all very subjective and open to interpretation but to me they have to be from that time period (Late 60s to early 80s) and be made by a bonkers Italian man or at the very least a canny business man who knows where the money is!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th February 2016, 02:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I know they aren't Italian, but what about Psycho and Peeping Tom? They check most, if not all, of the other criteria.
The Giallo's main aspect is being Italian though. Giallo (yellow) is an Italian word that described the yellow paperback novels they originated from. I know you know all this.

Psycho, Peeping Tom and indeed Assault can have every possible Giallo motif going but they aren't Italian therefore aren't Giallo.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 24th February 2016, 02:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Giallo's main aspect is being Italian though. Giallo (yellow) is an Italian word that described the yellow paperback novels they originated from. I know you know all this.

Psycho, Peeping Tom and indeed Assault can have every possible Giallo motif going but they aren't Italian therefore aren't Giallo.
I know exactly what you mean – it's almost like a film noir being American and featuring hard-boiled dialogue, a detective, a femme fatale, and a weak man (possibly the detective) brought down or convinced, directly or indirectly, to commit crime on behalf of, or by, the femme fatale.

With few exceptions, these films are American.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th February 2016, 02:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I know exactly what you mean – it's almost like a film noir being American and featuring hard-boiled dialogue, a detective, a femme fatale, and a weak man (possibly the detective) brought down or convinced, directly or indirectly, to commit crime on behalf of, or by, the femme fatale.

With few exceptions, these films are American.
Interesting you mention noir and a clouding of genres / countries.

Hammer in the fifties set up a deal with American producer Robert Lippert to make noir thrillers in Britain but using an American star or household name of his choosing backed up with dependable actors in Hammers roster, thus enabling them a decent US theatrical release. Meaning we had people like Dane Clark, Richard Conte, George Brent and Lizabeth Scott alongside British faces like the upcoming Diana Dors and Sidney James.

The Hammer Noir sets are excellent and i highly recommend them.
Old 24th February 2016, 03:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Interesting you mention noir and a clouding of genres / countries.

Hammer in the fifties set up a deal with American producer Robert Lippert to make noir thrillers in Britain but using an American star or household name of his choosing backed up with dependable actors in Hammers roster, thus enabling them a decent US theatrical release. Meaning we had people like Dane Clark, Richard Conte, George Brent and Lizabeth Scott alongside British faces like the upcoming Diana Dors and Sidney James.

The Hammer Noir sets are excellent and i highly recommend them.
That reinforces my point about American nature of noir – even if the films aren't themselves American, the presence of a lead actor with an American accent is almost essential. You can have foreign actors, but they would normally (like Peter Lorre in The Maltese Falcon) play a villain.

I'll have a look for those Hammer films, thanks.
Old 24th February 2016, 04:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I have this to look forward to tonight all being well.

I watched a double-bill of Malatesta's Carnival of Blood and The Witch Who Came from the Sea last night. Witch I've had on DVD for years courtesy of Subversive Cinema but it was great to revisit it again in HD. Malatesta I had never seen before but had wanted to for a while after reading some interesting things about it so I was really eager to check it out (the main reason why I cracked open my set last night really). It didn't disappoint, and its wonky madness was comfortably infecting. A good analogy would be if Tobe Hooper were to have dropped acid and made The Funhouse eight years earlier with some money he found in his sock drawer... then it may very well have been as insane, seedy and nightmarishly good as Malatesta was.

Agreed, I really enjoyed Malatesta.
Old 24th February 2016, 07:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

KRUG AND COMPANY (LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT 1972)

Watched this alternate cut again and this is the version I prefer. More footage of Mari and Phillis before they go off to the concert and Mari still alive after the shooting.

Like this? Share it using the links below!