Old 28th February 2016, 03:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Last Shift (2014)
Interesting how the initial setup sounds like eerily similar to Assault on Precinct 13, but then takes a very different turn.

Whichever way, your review has piqued my interest, so I'll look into it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 28th February 2016, 04:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Last Shift (2014)
You've definitely piqued my interest further with your review, Dem. Looking forward to checking it out.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 28th February 2016, 05:10 PM
Cult Addict

The star chamber

Michael Douglas stars as a judge who is getting steadily depressed at letting off rapists and killers due to technicalities, eventually his friend (Hal Holbrook) informs him of a group that holds secret trials on guilty crooks and dispensing death penalties on those found guilty. Douglas relishes his membership of the group but begins to have doubts when he discovers two guilty men might actually be innocent.
Mostly The star chamberis an enjoyable piece of tabloid fluff that aspires to more than it reaches. Its premise is basically a straw man set up that shows the worst kinds of crimes getting away thanks to skilful public defenders and legal arguments that would not pass in a real court. The sort of logic that informs the comments pages of most online newspapers. However it attempts to suggests that this might not work as well as people would hope and the end is open to the interpretations of the audience. The blu-ray is locked region A but looks great.

Coma

A rare for the time female led thriller with Genevieve Bujold discovering a conspiracy after patients at a hospital begin falling into unexplained coma's. Its gripping stuff and Bujold manages to hold it together with Michael douglas providing a great supporting role.

Grimsby

Sascha Baron-coens comedy works best imo when he's confronting people who are not in on the joke, as he moves away from that format the comedy suffers and this one is very hit and miss. I must confess I chuckled at the scene where the film stops everything to show Daniel Radcliffe contracting AIDS (i'm going to hell, I know but its funny) for no real reason at all. Beyond that there are a lot of gags that feel forced, jokes plundered from saturday night live sketches (most notably the jepordy sketches) and a central plot that pilfers a lot from kingsman. Its one probably best left for netflix.
Old 28th February 2016, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Frankenstein (2015)

a lot better than i was expecting, not really a horror but more of a drama with horror elements. a very faithful retelling of the Frankenstein tale set in modern times with a few slight differences the main one being how the creature is created(here a 3D printer). Adam (the creature) looks perfectly normal until he develops cancerous growths so victor his creator decides to have him destroyed. Adam manages escape and on his journey we seethe worst of humanity in their treatment of those who are different. well acted but especially from the actor playing Adam(Xavier Samuel). those looking for a straight out horror movie might well be dis-pointed, but i recommended given it a chance. 8.5/10

next up highway to hell, which is another first time viewing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81R8WZER0uL._SL1388_.jpg (94.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 28th February 2016, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Frankenstein (2015)

a lot better than i was expecting,
I have to be cheeky and ask why you bothered even buying a film when you don'e expect much from it?

You start a lot of reviews by saying better than you expected.

I'm not being critical Treb, just puzzled.
Old 28th February 2016, 08:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I have to be cheeky and ask why you bothered even buying a film when you don'e expect much from it?

Because he buys every film made!
Old 28th February 2016, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

if i haven't seen something i usually go in with low expectations, while i was on amazon it caught my eye and as i said if i have not seen it before i low expectations and that's why i say i was not expecting much.
Old 28th February 2016, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Because he buys every film made!
and this
Old 28th February 2016, 08:16 PM
Cult Master

StarryShaw.jpg

Hollywood is filled with young hopefuls who while working jobs to make ends meet they dream of the chance to make their impact on anyone with a script or a film in the works. Sarah is one of these people she works in a fast food place as a waitress where young attractive females are forces to wear a more than revealing uniform to entice customers to come in and leer at the girls and maybe stay for the food. When Sarah attends her latest audition she feels like she didnt do herself justice heads to the ladies room to vent her anger upon herself by pulling clumps of hair out of her head. In her rage she does not realise one of the people she auditioned for was outside watching suddenly they seem more than interested in her talents and she is given her first call back in a long time but something is not quite right but in her excitement Sarah does not notice. Her call back takes her to the home of the head of the film company for her final audition but after he suggests that the part is hers in return for sexual favours she is devastated. When her latest set back sinks in she then starts to question should she go back and do what ever she needs to do to land the role.

Its nothing new to hear stories of what people subject themselves to just to get a foot of the ladder to fame and fortune Starry Eyes shows this in a very horrific and sinister way. It also shows how fake,insincere and self centred people in the movie business can be. Apart from Sarahs house mate Tracy who genuinely cares for Sarah the rest of their friends are all extremely unlikeable assholes only out for number one no matter who they have to screw over to achieve their own goals.

Throughout the film we see so many sides to Sarah firstly bubbly ,outgoing and enthusiastic then a more emotionally fragile and vulnerable person all the way to someone with extreme tunnel vision with only her chance at the big time consuming her emotionally and physically and that is where the journey takes an horrific turn. Its hard to say anything else without creating spoilers.

To say that Starry Eyes is a slow burn film would be doing it an injustice for me it had a perfect build up it leads you alone nicely but it never allows you to get too comfortable with its sinister vibe. Its the sort of feeling i love to get from a film that you know there is something nasty constantly in the shadows but not using the cheap jump and scare tactics that i have grown so tired of recently. It is great to see more and more horror films going back to using atmosphere to create tension and unease.

I love every thing about this film and along with It Follows this is one of the best new horror films i have seen in years. Even the poster artwork is beautiful.I cant recommend this highly enough a really excellent film.

9/10

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 28th February 2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 28th February 2016, 09:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
if i haven't seen something i usually go in with low expectations, while i was on amazon it caught my eye and as i said if i have not seen it before i low expectations and that's why i say i was not expecting much.
Thanks for the review by the way.

Glad you liked it. 8.5 is a high score so i'll definitely pick it up in the coming weeks.

Like this? Share it using the links below!