Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2016, 08:34 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

FINAL GIRL

A slight story of vigilantism draped in Lynchian visuals and mockabilly riffs...it is all very vague but not in an interesting way and ultimately goes nowhere as a horror film nor as the arts**** oddity it wants to be. That said, I loved the training for combat scenes that are spectacular in their limpness and general feeling of can't be arsed.
Old 9th March 2016, 09:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
FINAL GIRL

A slight story of vigilantism draped in Lynchian visuals and mockabilly riffs...it is all very vague but not in an interesting way and ultimately goes nowhere as a horror film nor as the arts**** oddity it wants to be. That said, I loved the training for combat scenes that are spectacular in their limpness and general feeling of can't be arsed.
I really liked it, but I could tell that it was the sort of film that diminishes after a couple of watches (maybe even gets a bit irritating). There were a few genuinely rubbish bits in it, like the hallucinations which looked like they'd been designed by a three year old.
Old 9th March 2016, 09:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
FINAL GIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I really liked it, but I could tell that it was the sort of film that diminishes after a couple of watches (maybe even gets a bit irritating). There were a few genuinely rubbish bits in it, like the hallucinations which looked like they'd been designed by a three year old.
Although i quite enjoyed it, just like Under the Skin (2013), i knew it was a film i was only going to watch once, so off to CEX it went whilst it still had some cash value.
Old 9th March 2016, 09:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
They are pretty poor, I presumed they where actual flashbacks from Wes Bentley's crack years. I did like the lack of explanation and sub plots but found it over long for such a simple story. I also wanted more violence.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 9th March 2016, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Although i quite enjoyed it, just like Under the Skin (2013), i knew it was a film i was only going to watch once, so off to CEX it went whilst it still had some cash value.
99p rental from Amazon for me!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th March 2016, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Crow Hollow (1952)

Ann, a newly wed and her husband, Robert, a doctor, goes to live on his family estate, the beautifully named Crow Hollow. Surprisingly for Ann, Robert's three aunts also live there. As odd things begin to occur, Ann starts to believe someone is intent on killing her.

A delightful British oddity where everyone speaks clipped English and no one could possibly be a wrong doer. Except it's plain as soon as we meet the aunts they aren't quite what they appear.

Crow Hollow is practically a forgotten film, very much of it's time. Although it has a quaint Gothic air to it, the film falls far short of what Hammer would produce just five years later.

Natasha Parry plays the vulnerable new bride Ann and gives a convincing performance. The sense of unease gradually creeping over her much as it does the viewer. Fortunately the film is well acted by all as the script is rather talky and truth be told not an awful lot happens...just the odd murder, you know. For an unknown film it has a surprisingly good cast including Donald Houston and soon to be Mina Harker, Melissa Stribling.

The film title is very much lived up to. Legend has it the crows only appear when bad things happen at Crow Hollow, therefore the film begins birdless but as the murder plot thickens the crows return and you can hear them constantly on the soundtrack until it's almost a cacophony from the trees in the final reels.

It's perhaps not a film i can recommend, although i do like it. You'll know if this is the sort of film you'd get anything out of i suspect.This was the fourth time i've visited Crow Hollow and it seems to grow on me more with each viewing.

The dvd from Simply Media, where it is double billed with the equally quaint Gothic chiller Castle Sinister (1948), has been lovingly restored for both sound and picture quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg urJPEFLn2tmJdKxzOZtgQAveLxU.jpg (42.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th March 2016, 02:47 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane today. Enjoyable suspense thriller. It's fairly loosely linked to the original, and anyone expecting a monster movie is for a big disappointment lol! It's really more of a psycho thriller in unusual circumstances, with John Goodman in terrific, intimidating and unpredictable form. Pretty good.
Old 10th March 2016, 07:40 AM
Cult Addict

Incredibly p*****d off that my local VUE is not showing Hail Caesar. We are getting the new Divergent film and they are keeping on Dad's Army and Grimsby which tells you all you need to know about the viewing habits in Barrow-in-Furness.

River of death

Ending up in my cannon films pile in error, its actually a Harry allan Towers production, this is an adaptation of an Alistair Maclean novel. Robert Vaughn is a brutal Nazi doctor in the Josef Mengele mould who escapes at the end of WWII screwing over a fellow Nazi, played by Donald Plesance. Some years later Michael Dudikoff is an adventurer who botches an expedition into the rainforests with a doctor and his daughter investigating a mystery illness. Abandoning them to the natives he's racked with guilt and decides to mount a rescue operation. He finds funding for the trip from Plesance who has since become a major businessman in south America. Accompanied by a number of interested parties, including two mossad agents, they make their way into the wilderness to locate the Nazi doctor.
Mixing up 80's adventure pictures with Heart of Darkness, River of death is a fun film. A little silly, with some major plot holes (including why no one has noticed a major south American business mogul with a penchant for German musical theatre is a spitting image of a prominent Nazi who ran a death camp). Dudikoff gets to actually act again and isn't bad. The whole film isn't as much fun as avenging force but is still worth checking out.
Old 10th March 2016, 07:52 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Going to see the much buzzed about The Witch on Saturday, anyone else seen it yet?
It's not coming to my local this week, hopefully it'll be next week because i'm really looking forward to it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th March 2016, 11:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

I watched Noah with Russell Crowe, Ray Winstone and Anthony Hopkins on Netflix and rather enjoyed it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!